Group C - 11th Match Sri Lanka v West Indies

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I just saw the scorecard of this match with 7 overs to go. What a hammering of Jayasuriya and Dilshan.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Did anyone see that piece of fielding by Angelo Mathews? Let me describe what happened. Dwayne Bravo hit it down to the long-on boundary. Mathews took the catch but was falling outside the boundary and hence tossed it up. Unfortunately, he tossed it back over the boundary and as the ball was falling (still hadn't touched the ground) he jumped again (he had landed outside the boundary already) and punched it out. He then picked it back up and threw it to the bowler's end. The umpires adjudged it to be 3 runs.

I think it should have been six. Once he was outside the boundary, it doesn't matter if you jump or not, does it? I mean, what if next time the boundary lines are in quite a bit. The player could run as far back in as they can, jump and toss the ball back in. If they practice it enough and are athletic enough, they could feasibly toss the ball to another fielder standing there for a catch.

Surely there must be something against the rules to prevent that. In most other sports involving bounds, I think you're considered out of the bounds as soon as you step over, unless you step back in.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Did anyone see that piece of fielding by Angelo Mathews? Let me describe what happened. Dwayne Bravo hit it down to the long-on boundary. Mathews took the catch but was falling outside the boundary and hence tossed it up. Unfortunately, he tossed it back over the boundary and as the ball was falling (still hadn't touched the ground) he jumped again (he had landed outside the boundary already) and punched it out. He then picked it back up and threw it to the bowler's end. The umpires adjudged it to be 3 runs.

I think it should have been six. Once he was outside the boundary, it doesn't matter if you jump or not, does it? I mean, what if next time the boundary lines are in quite a bit. The player could run as far back in as they can, jump and toss the ball back in. If they practice it enough and are athletic enough, they could feasibly toss the ball to another fielder standing there for a catch.

Surely there must be something against the rules to prevent that. In most other sports involving bounds, I think you're considered out of the bounds as soon as you step over, unless you step back in.

I agreed with the 3rd Umpire, if the ball hasn't touched the ground then it's not really so much as out of bounds, It was an outstanding piece of fielding and it will surprise me if it isn't youtubed soon.

I think its the same with rugby as if the ball was going out the guy stood outside jumped up and put the ball back in then it isn't out of play and the game continues but there is also something contradictory to that, whenever the ball is kicked out of play and it's a line out it is always from where it crossed the line in the air so it is an interesting conundrum.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I agreed with the 3rd Umpire, if the ball hasn't touched the ground then it's not really so much as out of bounds, It was an outstanding piece of fielding and it will surprise me if it isn't youtubed soon.
I'm fairly certain there should be a rule about it, though. So many times I've seen players take a catch just over the boundary. They could so easily (well not that easily) take the catch and toss it back, I feel. Surprised more people haven't tried it. I'm going to snoop around the ICC rulebook. :p

sammy

Club Cricketer
Well the best of Sri lanka batting was used today, and their bowling isn't so difficult after all - not unplayable. I'm happy with Windies performance, especially since their attitude wasn't positive.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Good that good innings from Gayle and Jayasuriya have been consumed in pre games. Now we dont have to worry about them getting fire later on. :p

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Hmm.... so what Mathews did indeed appears to be legal:

MCC said:
3. Scoring a boundary
(a) A boundary shall be scored and signalled by the umpire at the bowler?s end whenever, while the ball is in play, in his opinion
(i) the ball touches the boundary, or is grounded beyond the boundary.
(ii) a fielder, with some part of his person in contact with the ball, touches the boundary or has some part of his person grounded beyond the boundary.

(b) The phrases ?touches the boundary? and ?touching the boundary? shall mean contact with
either (i) the boundary edge as defined in 2 above
or (ii) any person or obstacle within the field of play which has been designated a boundary by the umpires before the toss.

(c) The phrase ?grounded beyond the boundary? shall mean contact with
either (i) any part of a line or a solid object marking the boundary, except its boundary edge
or (ii) the ground outside the boundary edge
or (iii) any object in contact with the ground outside the boundary edge.

4. Runs allowed for boundaries
(a) Before the toss, the umpires shall agree with both captains the runs to be allowed for boundaries. In deciding the allowances, the umpires and captains shall be guided by the prevailing custom of the ground.

(b) Unless agreed differently under (a) above, the allowances for boundaries shall be 6 runs if the ball having been struck by the bat pitches beyond the boundary, but otherwise 4 runs. These allowances shall still apply even though the ball has previously touched a fielder. See also (c) below.

(c) The ball shall be regarded as pitching beyond the boundary and 6 runs shall be scored if a fielder
(i) has any part of his person touching the boundary or grounded beyond the boundary when he catches the ball.
(ii) catches the ball and subsequently touches the boundary or grounds some part of his person beyond the boundary while carrying the ball but before completing the catch. See Law 32 (Caught).

sammy

Club Cricketer
Hmm.... so what Mathews did indeed appears to be legal:

It is, When I saw it live I thought it was safe and shocked how much effort he placed into saving it. But as bishop pointed it out, the fielders can go the stand and hit the ball back in to teamates to save a six or catch. It is legal bu the implications are pointing to a change in rules.

Thurya

Club Cricketer

What about accepting it ONLY if the fielder touches it inside the field first.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
The piece of fielding from Mathews was amazing! So calm, and so quick to react, saved the six!

And whats all this going down to one knee and paddling it over the keeper! Now thats something I may try myself when I'm cleared of this shoulder injury!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

I think its the same with rugby as if the ball was going out the guy stood outside jumped up and put the ball back in then it isn't out of play and the game continues but there is also something contradictory to that, whenever the ball is kicked out of play and it's a line out it is always from where it crossed the line in the air so it is an interesting conundrum.

Nah once you go outside in rugby and jump for the ball you are considered out of play and hence the ball is out of play. In saying that never seen someone do it so haven't looked up the law on that.

Good performance by both sides today, WI bowling was let down majorly by Edwards but they found a star in Simmons. SL were saved by their spin duo and luckily they didn't have to face Gayle or this could have gone the other way.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
It's an amazing piece of fielding and good thing the current laws allow it. To have the presence of mind to know where the rope is and to throw the ball back while up in the air is incredible.

The West Indies batted well without Chris Gayle. A good response to a challenging total by Sri Lanka against a good attack.

If Sri Lanka can get the middle and lower order of their batting scoring runs, then they'll be dark horses for the competition, especially with their bowling attack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread