Leave Scoop Sweep

Should leave button be reconfigured

• Total voters

grkrama

National Board President
You're never going to please everyone though. To me this seems the most logical for the reasons I have stated. I imagine most people currently play as I do with their finger hovering over the defense trigger to anticipate having to block or to play an aggressive grounded shot.

I dont know about that, most would find it easy to depress a trigger than press it while facing fast bowlers.

Ya that leave animation isnt the prettiest nor safest, there are some good leave animations in there though the only prob is i have to move LS to get those good looking as well as in context to delivery ones, which i would find mre usefull if they were chosen by the game and i just press the trigger.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I dont know about that, most would find it easy to depress a trigger than press it while facing fast bowlers.

Will just have to get other opinions regarding this I guess. I had tried your way a while back but for me, hovering or resting my finger on it felt better and gave me more success.

Ya that leave animation isnt the prettiest nor safest, there are some good leave animations in there though the only prob is i have to move LS to get those good looking as well as in context to delivery ones, which i would find mre usefull if they were chosen by the game and i just press the trigger.

Again, it's just giving the player too much too think about if you have to move the LHS around for different types of leave. I would be happy with just leave( LHS forward) and duck (LHS backward).

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
He did, but didn't the games he worked on have automatic leave? They certainly didn't have a option to duck!

No. They were all poor in this regard - it was always very high on the list, but we never found a way to make it work well. We prototyped an "Evasive Action" button for one, (which was context sensitive depending on where the ball was coming: if at the head then duck, if at the body turn to avoid it, kick the ball away from stumps etc) but it didn't make it into the game. :(

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
No. They were all poor in this regard - it was always very high on the list, but we never found a way to make it work well. We prototyped an "Evasive Action" button for one, (which was context sensitive depending on where the ball was coming: if at the head then duck, if at the body turn to avoid it, kick the ball away from stumps etc) but it didn't make it into the game. :(
That would be the best solution for this....

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would personally love it to be RT with no shot input. As RT is already the block input it makes logical sense to have the leave part of the defensive mechanism while batting

It would need to be something to trigger it still, as by the time that it's too late for you to still try to play something, there isn't enough time for any kind of leave animation. Maybe LB while holding RT? So basically, hitting the unorthodox shots button while holding the defensive modifier?

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
It would need to be something to trigger it still, as by the time that it's too late for you to still try to play something, there isn't enough time for any kind of leave animation. Maybe LB while holding RT? So basically, hitting the unorthodox shots button while holding the defensive modifier?

The trigger for the leave would be pressing the RT but not engaging the RHS, but pressing it with the RHS engaged would trigger the block. As for timing it can stay as it is, you are complicating the issue.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The trigger for the leave would be pressing the RT but not engaging the RHS, but pressing it with the RHS engaged would trigger the block. As for timing it can stay as it is, you are complicating the issue.
The timing for batting is when you do a movement with the right stick, so timing couldn't stay as it is if the proposal is something involving not moving the right stick.

Most people would bat by pressing the triggers prior to doing right stick movement - so I can't see how you could practically implement something that relied on RT timing as the trigger.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
The timing for batting is when you do a movement with the right stick, so timing couldn't stay as it is if the proposal is something involving not moving the right stick.

Most people would bat by pressing the triggers prior to doing right stick movement - so I can't see how you could practically implement something that relied on RT timing as the trigger.

Ahh gotcha. So as the game stands atm what does RT+ RHS pulled back result in? Is it a standard block? If so could this not be the way to do it? So that push forward is block as current while pulled back could be leave instead? Does that make sense?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Ahh gotcha. So as the game stands atm what does RT+ RHS pulled back result in? Is it a standard block? If so could this not be the way to do it? So that push forward is block as current while pulled back could be leave instead? Does that make sense?
It's more of a dead bat block, certainly a different shot to the one you get pushing up.

The RT being analogue is also a factor - what is a block when the trigger is fully pressed in slowly becomes a very late cut/leg glance if you have it half way - so it would be hard to have a leave there.

LB + Down would be an option - it currently does a scoop shot, which is also done with LB + Up. But the problem there is, if you're trying to sweep the ball fine, you might accidentally flip over into the bit of the controls that make it a leave, and have a similar problem to right now with pressing in the RS.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Leave should have nothing more complicated than button presses.
And unless you start using the face buttons, which are very hard to press while using the sticks, there's no other buttons remaining to do a simple button press, without making major reassignments for a low priority function.

except it doesnt block, its almost like the bat gets halved and everything passes through to keeper orstumps
Try it in the nets, works well.

grkrama

National Board President
And unless you start using the face buttons, which are very hard to press while using the sticks, there's no other buttons remaining to do a simple button press, without making major reassignments for a low priority function.

Try it in the nets, works well.

just tried it in the nets doesn't seem to work for me though.

For me im still inclined to either integrating the present sweeps n scoops in stick with quarter/ circles or LB RB combo and get Leave to LB certainly fits for me, Its definitely a low priority sub niche one of now with AI and fielding issues, but the levels of immersion and depth that a good functioning leave will brings to test gameplay is certainly worth looking in to atleast for next iteration if not for this one.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
For me im still inclined to either integrating the present sweeps n scoops in stick with quarter/ circles or LB RB combo and get Leave to LB certainly fits for me, Its definitely a low priority sub niche one of now with AI and fielding issues, but the levels of immersion and depth that a good functioning leave will brings to test gameplay is certainly worth looking in to atleast for next iteration if not for this one.
The next edition won't add more buttons to the controller though. There's very little room to make adjustments in the assignments without making radical changes to a broadly good batting system. Additive things like making the triggers effective when using the advance/special shot buttons - to allow for slog sweeps, advancing shots along the ground, etc. would be the main area I would want to see change.

The basic problem with assigning sweep to a LB+RB combo is that if you pressed RB first, you'd dance down the wicket. And I'd again make the point, a sweep is an absolutely primary cricketing shot.

However the flipside of that is also true - given that you aren't locked into leaving the ball until just before it goes past the bat, you could assign LB+RB to advancing shots, and make RB leave, when combined with RS movement at the right time (because as discussed earlier, you still need that timing element).

just tried it in the nets doesn't seem to work for me though.
I had a bit more luck when I tried it. But just shows that it needs some tweaks to where those shots go. It's still quite different to the forward push that pushing up on the stick achieves.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
The batting system while good and great for a first up can certainly be improved in lot of ways. Triggers certainly need to be more effective.

So this looks the best possible one for me a half/quarter circle motion for sweep seems the best to me and also natural as it will be played just with sticks and a slog sweep with attacking trigger. And the pull back RS we saw above can be used for scoops so it will be diffficult to get right but also be rewarding than it is.

Or other than that you can assign Advance shots to one of the face buttons and it can act as a lock before the delivery as mostly it is predetermined, with Leave and defense button being able to break through it incase the delivery is tough.. and add to that if its combo-ed with the sweep button it can play ground advance shots.

It's still quite different to the forward push that pushing up on the stick achieves.

ya its more like kane williamsons 45 degree soft hand defense except the ball is not going where its intended, i do think like you say one of the batting patches has broken scoop and this shot i guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread