Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Both, I can't really make a difference

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • None. I like to game on my mobile devices. :p

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Ok guys its finally here. Something long awaited, and who's absense has clogged up a lot of threads.

I did use the search function but unfortunately nothing turned up. So sorry but I am starting a new one. Let the banter start guys!

PC's are much better IMO. There are a number of advantages, and even consoles have their own, but the PC's advantages outnumber those of consoles. What about you? ( I know many people's opinions here already. :p)

Lets go!

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Erm, personally PC ftw, consoles if your just bored as hell. I mean atm I havn't touched my 360 for like 2 months, it always happens I play it for 3-4 months straight then just get bored.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Consoles for me personally. Couldn't imagine playing GTA in front of the computer with the lame keyboard. ohhhh wait, the PC doesn't have GTA.

/end of thread:p

pingusten

Club Cricketer
OK, good old fasioned flame war. Always good fun :p

I'll start by stating the most obvious examples in favour of both.

PC

- Moddability
- Free Multiplayer, with much higher capacity dedicated servers
- Cheaper games
- Keyboard and Mouse setup allowing for 360 degrees site
- Customizeable, controllers can be used
- Upgradeable, not stuck with restrained hardware for 5 years
- Patches and upgrades for games more readily available and easier to implement
- Genre strengths : FPS, RPG's, MMO's, RTS, Sandbox, and Simulators
- Notable exclusives : The Witcher, STALKER, Total War Series, GTR, World in Conflict, Starcraft, Spore.

Consoles

- Large Communities
- No compatibility issues
- More user friendly
- Can be used by many people at once
- Makes advantage of HD TV's
- Controller's suit many people more
- In some cases, cheaper
- Genre strengths : Fighting, Driving and Sports, RPG's, and 3rd Person Shooters
- Notable exclusives : Fable 2, Gears of War 2, GTAIV (for the moment :p), Forza, next gen FIFA, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Now for the disadvantages.

PC

- Upgrading can be seen as a hassle
- Requires good knowledge of computing to keep it in good shape
- Piracy is rife and to easy
- Get weak last gen ports on games such as FIFA
- In some cases, more expensive

Consoles

- Limited hardware
- Little to no mod support
- 15% failure rate for 360's is still to high
- Paying for online (not really big deal)
- Controllers are arkward for FPS
- Limited players on MP, with little to none dedicated servers.

Well there are some for and against. There are of course more, but typing on an Ipod Touch is slow and tedious. Good old Starbucks ;)

Last edited:

travder92

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I definitely think Driving games are a much bigger strength for the PC then console.. given the right hardware (Logitech G25 for example :p) and the PC's natural "less awkwardness" when it comes to handling devices like wheels.. as they can clamp (even bolt) to the desk.. whereas the normally poor quality wheels in terms of realism for the Consoles suffer.. especially when you have to have the thing between your legs the whole time.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
OK, good old fasioned flame war. Always good fun :p

I'll start by stating the most obvious examples in favour of both.

PC

- Moddability
- Free Multiplayer
- Cheaper games
- Keyboard and Mouse setup allowing for 360 degrees site
- Customizeable, controllers can be used
- Upgradeable, not stuck with restrained hardware for 5 years
- Patches and upgrades for games more readily available and easier to implement
- Genre strengths : FPS, RPG's, MMO's, RTS, Sandbox, and Simulators
- Notable exclusives : The Witcher, STALKER, Total War Series, GTR, World in Conflict, Starcraft, Spore.

Consoles

- Large Communities
- No compatibility issues
- More user friendly
- Can be used by many people at once
- Makes advantage of HD TV's
- Controller's suit many people more
- In some cases, cheaper
- Genre strengths : Fighting, Driving and Sports, RPG's, and 3rd Person Shooters
- Notable exclusives : Fable 2, Gears of War 2, GTAIV (for the moment :p), Forza, next gen FIFA, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Now for the disadvantages.

PC

- Upgrading can be seen as a hassle
- Requires good knowledge of computing to keep it in good shape
- Piracy is rife and to easy
- Get weak last gen ports on games such as FIFA
- In some cases, more expensive

Consoles

- Limited hardware
- Little to no mod support
- 15% failure rate for 360's is still to high
- Paying for online (not really big deal)
- Controllers are arkward for FPS

Well there are some for and against. There are of course more, but typing on an Ipod Touch is slow and tedious. Good old Starbucks ;)
I do agree with most of your points, but not all. To state them

Makes advantage of HD TV's
Even a computer can do that, if you connect the HDTV. A 1080p resolution on the PC is hardly anything these days due to mainstream cheap cards like the 9600GT or the 3870.

Controller's suit many people more
Well, controller's for PC's are available too, and same or even better quality than consoles. Plus, a graphics card + controller would still cost less, much less than a console.

You also missed out on some genre strengths in the PC. For example, racing as travder said, and even sports to some extents.

I would say limited hardware for consoles is a problem, but then the consoles are designed like that way, to be stuck with for 5 years or even more.

pingusten

Club Cricketer
You also missed out on some genre strengths in the PC. For example, racing as travder said, and even sports to some extents.

Yeah I thought about putting sports in, with games like Tiger Woods and so forth being very popular. But with EA pulling out of bringing Madden 09 to PC, and there lazy ports, sport games are less prominant on the PC at this time, hence there exclusion.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
I do agree with most of your points, but not all. To state them

Even a computer can do that, if you connect the HDTV. A 1080p resolution on the PC is hardly anything these days due to mainstream cheap cards like the 9600GT or the 3870.

Well, controller's for PC's are available too, and same or even better quality than consoles. Plus, a graphics card + controller would still cost less, much less than a console.

I would say limited hardware for consoles is a problem, but then the consoles are designed like that way, to be stuck with for 5 years or even more.

actually there are ways of upgrading PS3's, at your own risk though. I personally prefer consoles. PC's are too near for me to play games, i need to be further away. There is no point buying a HD TV for your PC but for your console you can also use it for watching tele. Next gen games are better for consoles in my opinion

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Sports games will die out on pc pretty much imo. PC is best for FPS and modding is a major plus, consoles are best for other shizzle.

I don't really play on my console very much but I don't play on my PC on anything other than FM. Really I'm only likely to play about 6 or 7 different games on the both of them.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
[/b]

actually there are ways of upgrading PS3's, at your own risk though. I personally prefer consoles. PC's are too near for me to play games, i need to be further away. There is no point buying a HD TV for your PC but for your console you can also use it for watching tele. Next gen games are better for consoles in my opinion

If you feel that The PC is too near, try using a wireless keyboard and mouse. you can conveniently place yourself then.

Regarding the HDTV, if you own one, then its just a matter of plugging in. whether you do it to the console, or the PC it wouldn't matter.
If you specifically buy one for console gaming, and plan to use it for watching TV when not being used by the console, you can still use it to watch TV, yet connect it to the computer when u need it.

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
GTA IV > Any game PC has to offer.
Next gen Fifa 08 > Any football game PC has to offer.
Skate > Any skating game PC has to offer.
Xbox 360 controller > Any controller PC has to offer.

I could go on, but as this argument is not worth having plus me having fun on GTA instead of taking time posting on here.

So I didnt realise GTAIV was every single game put into one. I'm guessing it's an amazing FPS? Way better than HL2.....:rolleyes:

Stop the hype over GTA its so OTT. You can't possibly count a skating game I mean wtf, who plays them? Maybe for an hour a month although skate is an amazing game it still gets boring like all skating games.

You can get a 360 controller on PC too...seeing as its Microsoft....And you dont have to worry about waking up and finding your 360 RROD'ed.

Users who are viewing this thread