Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
barmyarmy said:
Completely off topic but seeing as there isn't a "Pakistan in" topic yet, I've just got tickets for Scotland/Pakistan.
:eek: :eek: send me a ticket please, :eek: damn, hope they'r not sold out.

Sureshot

Executive member
Upul Tharanga has made a century vs a University team, on their opening tour game.

He might just hold their top 4 together this tour.

Gilo is out of Tests and ODIs vs Sri Lanka, yay!

gary0808

Club Cricketer
Sureshot said:
Gilo is out of Tests and ODIs vs Sri Lanka, yay!

Why is that, yay! That is bad news for England because Giles is a very effective, tall spin bowler who is very accurate

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well let's try and find one that can bat as well seeing as recent replacements aren't any better as bowlers and certainly aren't as good at batting.

usy said:
:eek: :eek: send me a ticket please, :eek: damn, hope they'r not sold out.

Not sold out and buy your own. They're ?20 for students so I imagine they're less for U18's.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
It's yay as England can pick a spin bowler instead of Ashely Giles.

I don't mind Giles playing, especially on our pitches which our good for fast-bowlers so he can back-up them up. His batting is decent aswell. Either him or Udal, Panesar needs another year with Northants.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
barmyarmy said:
Well let's try and find one that can bat as well seeing as recent replacements aren't any better as bowlers and certainly aren't as good at batting.
What is this obsession with picking spinners based on their batting ability? By those standards, Murali wouldn't get into the England team.

If you pick a spinner who is better than Ashley Giles (which is the majority of spinners in county cricket), and he takes more wickets, his batting ability becomes less important, as the opposing team would have fewer runs.

When deciding who your spin bowler is, the first consideration should always be their bowling ability. Batting ability only comes into it if there are two bowlers of equal bowling ability.

If you want to go down the route of the spin bowler being able to bat, then drop Giles and pick an extra batsman, as Vaughan and Pietersen are both better spin bowlers than Ashley Giles is.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
If you want to go down the route of the spin bowler being able to bat, then drop Giles and pick an extra batsman, as Vaughan and Pietersen are both better spin bowlers than Ashley Giles is.

Better spin bowlers, but not better Bowlers.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
andrew_nixon said:
What is this obsession with picking spinners based on their batting ability? By those standards, Murali wouldn't get into the England team.

If you pick a spinner who is better than Ashley Giles (which is the majority of spinners in county cricket), and he takes more wickets, his batting ability becomes less important, as the opposing team would have fewer runs.

When deciding who your spin bowler is, the first consideration should always be their bowling ability. Batting ability only comes into it if there are two bowlers of equal bowling ability.

I've yet to see a spin bowler who is sufficiently much better than Gilo to justify losing his batting ability. If Murali was eligible I would play him because he is clearly a far superior spin bowler but I don't think Keedy/Panesar/Udal/Blackwell are.

Users who are viewing this thread