Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
Yes, but we're talking about spin bowlers here.

He takes wickets doesn't he? He's not the best but i'd rather have him than someone like Panesar who is inexperienced.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Takes wickets?

Not really. 140 in 52 tests, MacGill probably already has that in 30 tests.

Giles had a good 2004, against the WIndies and Kiwi's he did alright. Ever since then he has averaged about 60 in tests.

Also with this injury, I doubt whether Giles will ever be able to bowl more than 15 a day.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Panesar looks to be your guys best option. Give him time and he'll come good.
The other guys are either too old or part time spinners.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Actually it's a disappointment from another point of view that Giles isn't avalaible for this tour. Sometimes it makes me feel that Giles is the best batsman that England has got.

Last edited:

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
ZexyZahid said:
Actually it's a disappointment from another point of view that Giles isn't avalaible for this tour. Sometimes it makes me feel that Giles is the best batsman that England has got.
The same way as it makes me feel that Jason Gillespie and Irfan Pathan are Australia's and India's best batsmen respectively.

Anyways, despite what Andrew says, I feel that missing Giles is always going to be a blow for England. Panesar was decent in India, so I think this series should give him the oppurtunity to enhance his reputation even more.

gary0808

Club Cricketer
If we're talking about this tour I'd go for Udal because he performed admiraly on the last day in India. Panesar is inexperienced and didn't perform as magically as everyone seems to think in India.

Sureshot

Executive member
Wait to see what the pitches do and look like for me.

If we want to play a spinner in each test this series.
I'd rather have Monty at somewhere like Lords, with the slope rather than Udal.

kodos

International Coach
gary0808 said:
If we're talking about this tour I'd go for Udal because he performed admiraly on the last day in India. Panesar is inexperienced and didn't perform as magically as everyone seems to think in India.

Doing well for 1 day doesn't gurantee a spot in the lineup. Udal did perform well on the last day but the rest of the days in all the test matches he played in India and Pakistan were pretty poor. Panesar may be inexperienced but this is the best time to play him before Pakistan and if he performs well he may keep his spot ahead of Giles for the rest of the Summer and maybe even for the Ashes if he does bowl incredibly well.

Sureshot

Executive member
Problem is I can't see Fletcher playing Panesar if our bowling attack is Hoggy, harmison and Jones.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
Problem is I can't see Fletcher playing Panesar if our bowling attack is Hoggy, harmison and Jones.
They may go for a 4-seamer attack (including Flintoff) and play the extra batsman. Lord's rarely helps the spinners early season. Although a 5 seamer attack is a possibility, as we won the Ashes with such an attack.

Sureshot

Executive member
Might not need it with the lack of Sri Lankan batting depth.

Although that is a risk.

I just think that both Udal and Monty get good flight and with the slope that could cause problems.

kodos

International Coach
They may but must remember Sri Lankans are pretty good facing spin. So I agree there probably will play a 4 man pace attack and recruit Collingwood into the lineup as well as he can bowl some handy medium pacers.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Sri Lanka are very good against spin. And with what the English have they should have no problem seeing of the spinners. Play the pacemen as most sides would struggle to stop an in form Hoggard or the reverse swing of Flintoff and Jones if he plays.

Users who are viewing this thread