abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It seems alright - obviously a bit sluggish since its a tech preview. Start-Menu is a welcome change.

Nothing else noteworthy. Don't have much use for multiple desktops currently

Main negative so far - the File Explorer home is way too cluttered with useless categories. I hope they clean it up while providing those options for people who might find the clutter useful

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It seems alright - obviously a bit sluggish since its a tech preview. Start-Menu is a welcome change.

Nothing else noteworthy. Don't have much use for multiple desktops currently

Main negative so far - the File Explorer home is way too cluttered with useless categories. I hope they clean it up while providing those options for people who might find the clutter useful

Multiple desktops can be really useful when you want to do a lot of things at the same time and don't like to clutter your desktop/taskbar with millions of windows. I am a guy who likes simplicity and hate having more than 4 open windows at a time, and more than 2 rows of icons on my desktop. Multiple desktops will help a lot for me.

There are chinks though, like the unnecessary usage of the Search button on the taskbar when its just a web search, etc. But I expect MS to iron those out by the time of the final release. The feel so far is very encouraging.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Yeah I have used multiple desktops on Ubuntu before. A lot of people find it very useful. I personally prefer having several windows open and toggling through them .. which is very easy in windows (currently have 28 windows open as I type :P)

About the Search button in taskbar - it really is of unneeded. Although it does more than just web search. It is also similar to the search functionality in the Start Menu. And serves as an optional "Run". Click on there and type "calc". Will open up the calculator application. Otherwise is does open up search results .. but in BING :facepalm

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
The multiple desktops is a very useful feature in Apple's OS. Toggling between multiple desktops with keys is well done in Apple's OS. Would like to know if toggling between multiple desktops in Windows 10 can be achieved with keyboard combinations.

The Metro apps Windowed mode is turning out to be a blessing. Makes it a lot more easier and less cumbersome to use apps like PC Settings, etc.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
The Metro apps Windowed mode is turning out to be a blessing. Makes it a lot more easier and less cumbersome to use apps like PC Settings, etc.

I believe this is already existing in windows 8.1. Unless I totally misunderstand you :spy

You mean the toolbar with the minimize, maximize and close buttons on the top-right side for the Metro Apps ?

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Multiple Desktops is so useful on a laptop because it makes switching between apps so easy. I don't really need it on my desktop though cos I have enough monitor space to have everything open at the same time, but most people won't be in my situation.

The metro apps windowed in 10 is different to in 8.1, in 8.1 it's just fullscreen with those buttons on the top, in 10 it's literally in a window so you can move it around. I never use the metro apps so I don't really care about this, though I might check them out if I can just open them in a window

As for search - it's what I use currently to open all my apps and I'm sure there'll be some way to make it only do a web search if it doesn't find an app installed on your computer which is what it does currently.

I don't really care either way for the start menu, I barely used it in win 7, don't use metro at all in win 8 except to search for apps so I don't think my usage will change when 10 is released.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I believe this is already existing in windows 8.1. Unless I totally misunderstand you :spy

You mean the toolbar with the minimize, maximize and close buttons on the top-right side for the Metro Apps ?

No no, not that. You can now run the Metro apps within a window (of course with the window filling up the available screen space, except for the taskbar). Until Windows 8.1, all Metro apps run full screen (true fullscreen, with no taskbar) and you cannot resize them to any size. I think you could minimize and close them. Not sure what the maximize button did.

See this (the Windows store app in Windows 10, in Windowed mode resized)

win10_metroApps_windowed.jpg

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As a Mac user (13 inch MacBook Pro Retina, so also not one on a huge screen); Multiple desktops are the best thing since you can organise things a lot better: have certain programmes only open on a certain desktop and segregate out work from everything else.

One of the big Mac features that I miss most on Windows is the OSX interpretation of full screen apps: which is pretty much to load them in their own space and make navigating between them the same as navigating between desktops (three finger swipe left/right on the trackpad, I'm not 100% sure how you'd do in on a normal mouse rather than the weird ones that Apple sells); giving you the best of both worlds; access to the desktop in under a second and also an application that uses all of the space on your screen. Its no joke really handy for writing essays: I have an article that I'm reading in preview in one full screen instance, and two full screen MS Word windows open: one for taking notes and one for writing the thing. Makes the whole thing a lot more efficient, which is a god send for writing essays. If that's how they worked Metro apps, then it'd be 10 times more usable (although I've only ever used Windows 8 on a friends laptop for a few minutes and in computer shops, so I'm no expert). Wouldn't make me move back since IMO the Macbook Pro is the best laptop you can get in its price point if you use it like me, but it would make using the thing better for 80% of PC users.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Microsoft tried that full screen implementation with Metro Apps in Windows 8/8.1 with resounding failure, and due to heavy criticism (from users like me) are bringing back the Windowed mode. Probably they did not get the "transition between full screen apps and the desktop" right, but having an app stay open full screen with no option to resize it and finding it cumbersome to get back to the desktop screen was a pain. Not really sure how its done in Apple, but it didn't work at all in Windows 8/8.1

Windows users are very loyal to the desktop world. We do not want radical changes to our traditional desktop and Start Menu. Even though I did not find Windows 8/8.1 as painful as other hardcore Windows traditionalists, I do find it very heartening and have a smile to see the classic old Start Menu coming back.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Don't know about metro apps in windows mode but hey no one is being forced to use them. The start menu looks great, Windows 10 should finally achieve the vision microsoft had for 8.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
As Said by Microsoft that the next chapter of Windows 10 is coming on Wednesday at 9:00 AM Pacific(5:00 PM GMT, 10:30 PM IST), I am really excited what it gonna be in the next preview, release date, Price tag(MOST IMPORTANT) and much more about the Windows 10 Phone.

Some FAQs and bugs are in my mind:

Bugs and Questions:
*The keybord lights indicating Num Lock, CVaps Lock, Scroll Lock, don't work while using the latest preview build 9879'

*There ain't any new Desktop backgrounds as compared to Windows 8.1, will there be a new set of Themes?

*What kind of he browser "Spartan" may be?

We can join onto this event live on : Microsoft's official website here

Less than 36 hours left from now, We will wait and watch what's gonna happen.

@Samuels please stick this

Abhas

Retired Administrator
We already have a Windows 10 thread. Threads merged.

Looking forward to seeing what's new, how stable it is and whether it provides the same functionality as the earlier versions.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
We already have a Windows 10 thread. Threads merged.

Looking forward to seeing what's new, how stable it is and whether it provides the same functionality as the earlier versions.
Definitely it would be a good one as seen by us on many leaks, Some pics from the leaks:
leak.jpg

black.jpg

tab-row.jpg

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The big news is Win 10 free for upgrade from Genuine Win 7 or 8 for the first year

Users who are viewing this thread