" Piracy "

Not to sound aggressive, but why use the example, then?

So you think people have a freedom of choice as to whether they pay for a Game or Album or not?

My views withstanding, I fully accept that the music and gaming industry is changing rapidly as to how it is paid for and used. It's going digital whether people like it or not.

No that wasn't aggressive!:p Bad form to give an example such as that. Anyways, the freedom of choice, independent of that example, is not of not paying, but of making copies. If I buy something, I should be free to copy it. Which is what we are talking about I guess. Piracy that is.

lol Why bother with piracy? Its only the infant firms that need protection from piracy. Nevertheless the rich get richer and become less efficient and less likely to innovate if we all payed for their products.

No that wasn't aggressive!:p Bad form to give an example such as that. Anyways, the freedom of choice, independent of that example, is not of not paying, but of making copies. If I buy something, I should be free to copy it. Which is what we are talking about I guess. Piracy that is.

So you should be free to copy it and give it to every single person you know?

That's what we're discussing actually. Why is it piracy? If I buy something I expect to be free to share it. Why is this illegal?

That's what we're discussing actually. Why is it piracy? If I buy something I expect to be free to share it. Why is this illegal?
Well tbh the other real life comparisons don't hold true. You can share a Vodka because you CONSUME it, you can't keep magically using it from the one same bottle, and hence companies aren't fussed about sharing of Vodka. Its the complete opposite case in Digital Media though.

Share it, but delete your own copy. Will you do that?
How would that be sharing then?
Because you didn't make the software and have no rights to distubute it without their permisson.
And if I buy that software? Still no permission to copy? Why not?

mukund_nadkarni added 5 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Well tbh the other real life comparisons don't hold true. You can share a Vodka because you CONSUME it, you can't keep magically using it from the one same bottle, and hence companies aren't fussed about sharing of Vodka. Its the complete opposite case in Digital Media though.
Ye. It's not the same as physical objects. When digital media is shared it is effectively copied that is to say the original stays the way it is. That hurts the developers chance to sell it to someone else. But is it fair to expect me not to share, which is giving up a fundamental right, so that the developer can make money? Why should I give up something that is very important and dear to me? If it were not possible to copy digital data, would the developers give up their profits for the sake of public benefit?

mukund_nadkarni added 9 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

The problem is if the developers/software companies are going to accuse someone who makes a copy of something he buys and then shares with the world as a 'Pirate' and those receiving the copy as 'thieves', what they are effectively doing is denying that these people have any say in the matter of how the system works. That it is their 'right' to have a system that suits themselves. And if they are going to conveniently ignore my rights then I guess it won't be wrong if I choose to ignore what they claim to be their 'rights'.

And if I buy that software? Still no permission to copy? Why not?

You do not but the software. You simply buy a license to use the software as shown in the EULA on the product before it is installed onto your system mostly, if you don't agree with this then don't install the software.If don't comply by the rules stated in the EULA then don't use the product as you have entered a contract and broken it, hence Illegal.

When you share a bottle of Vodka, you are essentially deleting the amount you are sharing. But you still call that sharing.

If sharing software was made legal, only one copy would be bought and 'shared' with everyone. And how will the developers get the benifit then?

On to that "real life" example, you do not buy a license to use the vodka you but the physical thing its self thus you can do what ever you want with it.

mukund said:
Ye. It's not the same as physical objects. When digital media is shared it is effectively copied that is to say the original stays the way it is. That hurts the developers chance to sell it to someone else. But is it fair to expect me not to share, which is giving up a fundamental right, so that the developer can make money? Why should I give up something that is very important and dear to me? If it were not possible to copy digital data, would the developers give up their profits for the sake of public benefit?

Well if we go by that then software companies are going down tomorrow. One buys and then shares with the entire world practically - that's what internet has made possible.

You do not but the software. You simply buy a license to use the software as shown in the EULA on the product before it is installed onto your system mostly, if you don't agree with this then don't download the EULA as if you don't agree with this/ don't comply by its rules then don't use the product as you have entered a contract and broken it, hence Illegal.

Right. But I don't agree with the EULA. I don't buy/download the software. I'm not a customer. Instead I run a pirated copy. Are they losing anything? What are they complaining about then?

Again all those who agree with the EULA, do they also agree with their right to share being taken away? Do they have an option? Why does the law allow the customers rights to be compromised for the benefit of the software company/developers? Why not instead make it mandatory that all softwares be free to share, that it be illegal to make such an EULA that prohibits sharing, or compromises the fundamental rights of consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread