Should Ricky Ponting give up captaincy after Ashes

Should Ponting hand over Captaincy after the Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
It seems like a really good time for him to hand over captaincy giving the next captain some time to settle in. Ponting has done it for a long time and has a good win/loss record. Giving up captaincy might prolong his career just letting him bat.

What do you guys think? I'm sure it'd be something he'd consider.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yes and No.

Having him around playing for Australia for a couple more years would be good, but if he gave up the captaincy wouldn't the aussie selectors want him to move on. Australia is they sort of country that doesn't like having old captain's keep playing well the new guy takes over.

Plus I really don't want Michael Clarke to get it just yet. If Australia lose though then I think he should give it up.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He won't drop the captaincy so he would have to be sacked or retire for the captaincy to change over. If we lose the Ashes, he more than likely will lose the captaincy and that could well spell the end of Ponting as I don't believe he would take the sacking too well.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
It seems like a really good time for him to hand over captaincy giving the next captain some time to settle in. Ponting has done it for a long time and has a good win/loss record. Giving up captaincy might prolong his career just letting him bat.

What do you guys think? I'm sure it'd be something he'd consider.

Yep I think it would be a good time, but I don't think Ponting will see it that way :D

I would say he wants to play the 2010/11 Ashes and 2011 World Cup. He'd be a bit past 36 after that World Cup and if Australia wins, that might be about right for him to go. Maybe he wants another India tour to try and extract revenge, who knows?

But given the smallish gap between these Ashes and the 10/11 ones, I think it's better for him to stay on. Put Clarke in after that.

The only way I can see a change of captaincy is if Australia loses 5-0 and Ponting just falls apart at the seams and immediately announces his retirement. The decision has to come from the man himself though, I can't see him being pushed.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If Aussies win Ashes then chances of him will be giving up captaincy will be 0.1%. And if they loose then it will be 0%. He is too proud to let go of it.

Clarke is battling his place so he is no way certainty for captaincy once Punter goes.

Ari

International Cricketer
I think if he lost it he would retire all together regardless if the selectors would keep him around or not. I think Australia are looking for him to lead them into the next world cup so unless England manage a massive ashes win I expect him to stick around. Only a massive series loss might force the selectors hands.

Inbox24

Club Cricketer
Realistically Ponting and captaincy are inseparable and the day he gives up captaincy is pretty much the day he retires. To be honest however, Ponting should have given up captaincy after the 2007 Ashes. The man's got no ability in picking a team nor any real flair to lift the team when the chips are down. In short he is quite an ordinary captain. The only thing going for him is that his batting seems to lift when he is captain, although at the moment that's not really working for him either.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Totally agree with inbox24 the day he leaves captaincy or forced to leave captaincy will be day of his retirement there been serveral reason he can leave captaincy or can be forced to leave captaincy first reason he is been totally out of form from 1,2 year basically after india tour of australia 2008 second reason his stamina and ability of teaching players is getting bad day by day third last and basic reason australia getting out of twenty world cup 2009 in super 12 could be better then all as they were defeated by team like westindies which are not in there best form player of westindies were not so good in worldcup but australia was out basically becasue of gayle and if australia lose ashes then 99 percent cahnges of clarke captain and ponting out of team

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I think it's definitely time for him to relinquish the captaincy in limited overs cricket, not so sure about test cricket, although Clarke is only really ready to captain the test team to be honest, his limited overs form is shaky enough as it is.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Don't think Ponting will retire/be pushed out of captaincy unless he has an abnormally poor series batting-wise and is involved with a controversy or two during The Ashes. Even if Australia lose The Ashes, Ponting has a great record against most other nations and losing his experience would be a foolish thing to lose on the basis of one series.

That said, I don't think Ponting is the best captain around. This is actually his time to shine, seeing that he's got a brand new core to work with, with the experienced players finally calling time. I'm sure he'd fancy another dig at India in India with something he could truly call his team to prove the detractors wrong.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
To be honest however, Ponting should have given up captaincy after the 2007 Ashes. The man's got no ability in picking a team nor any real flair to lift the team when the chips are down.

Ponting has gone soft. He is too used to being able to have a lot of man love on one or two players such as McGrath and Warne and just giving them 1000 overs and next thing he knows hes batting. He did it for Johnson despite when he was clearly nowhere near the best bowler, but in the long run it seems to have worked... But for as long as he keeps talking Watson up then I will agree that his team selection is very poor.

He's losing it that's for sure. No matter what the result of this series is he should be persuaded heavily to give up the captaincy in the shorter form and be put on notice that if he doesn't perform up to very strict expectations he will be gone in the longer form too.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Watson deserves hyping up a little tbf. His FC record is superb, averaging 45 with the bat and 29 with the ball. He'd be straight in the side at #6 if he could get himself fit for longer than a week.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah but that's what is just so unfair. He doesn't get on the field for more then a week, international or domestic cricket. He's been around for 9 years and has around 4800 runs and 132 wickets to show for it.

532 runs a year and 14 wickets a year on average. Why he walks into the team is beyond me.

karnog

International Cricketer
Well if we lose badly the captaincy will go to the best performing player. So Clarke, Katich, Johnson and even Hussey positions aren't set in stone. See what happened to Hayden, Martyn, Gillespie and Kasper.

Ponting should relieve his duties in ODI cricket too. I reckon Haddin deserves twenty20 captaincy. Clarke isn't a twenty20 player. As a result he should be ODI captain too. No point having 3 seperate captains...

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
If Aussies win Ashes then chances of him will be giving up captaincy will be 0.1%. And if they loose then it will be 0%. He is too proud to let go of it.

Clarke is battling his place so he is no way certainty for captaincy once Punter goes.

The only place Clarke is battling for his spot is T20 cricket. He's been the best Test batsman in the last 2 years IMO (Hughes is only new, Ponting/Hussey/Hayden have all dipped in form).

He is still very good value in ODIs either as an opener/middle order and with ball and in the field. Especially now that Symonds is gone, he'll be needed.

You can't bar him from captaincy because he might not be a T20 guy. Just have a different captain, Cameron White/Brad Haddin for example might be your T20 captain.

Users who are viewing this thread