Biggest upset of the decade?

Zimbabwe's upset over Australia at the ICC World Twenty/20 back in 07, anyone?
Above user has said same.That was an upset but being a T20 I wouldn't give it much.Some of the common ones are all posted I think.India and Pak defeated by Bangladesh and Ireland respectively,Aussies defeated by Bangladeshis.

Twenty20 wins aren't considered upsets. Every win is a fluke in that form of the game.

Bangladesh beating Aussies obviously and Ireland beating Pakistan also obviously.

Ashes 05. One dayers, who cares. Anything can happen in Odi's or T20. But a true test of a team's skill is Tests, and England defeated us royally in 05, even though we had a side of greats.

I agree, for me the Ashes. England did have a good side, but the aussies had Warne, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Langer, McGrath, Lee. It really was the underdog vs champions battle royale, England not having won the Ashes since 1987 and facing the best side in the world. The aussies won the 1st Test handsomely, by 239 runs, then England won narrowly and controversially by 2 runs, nearly went 2-1 up in the 3rd Test before squeaking home by 3 wkts chasing less than 150 to go 2-1 up. The last Test saw England score 373 before the aussies piled on 185 for the 1st wicket in reply. England fought back to bowl them out for a SIX run advantage, found themselves 126/5 before KP made his famous 158 on the last day and the game ended a draw and the Ashes were regained.

It wasn't just the result, it was the battling manner in which England took what advantages came their way. Langer, Ponting, Clarke and Hayden all scored 300+ runs, Warne took FORTY wickets while McGrath and Lee took 19 and 20 respectively, so it wasn't as if the aussies didn't perform - well Gilchrist had a quiet series averaging just 22.63, but he was the only star to underperform significantly.

England batsmen did score more runs, mainly because they batted twice at the Oval to the aussies' once, but the main factor for me was FOUR England bowlers taking between 18 and 24 wickets in the series which is a rarity. Four batsmen made 393+ runs in the series, and to come back from the hammering in the 1st Test and having lost the previous series 4-1 it was a mammoth achievement - and they then lost 0-5 down under so it really stands out in a long chain of series defeats.

:laugh @ the mention of Holland beating England at T20, that's not even proper cricket and is so short a minor counties team would be bound by the law of averages to beat a 1st class county eventually if they played them at it (not that the minor counties get to play the big boys anymore)

Bangladesh beating Australia was massive for Bangladesh, not sure the aussies cared thay much considering they would have been more focused on the forthcoming Ashes and it was only a tri-series game - they drew the final. The aussies made a respectable 249/5, Ashraful then single handedly won the match with exactly 100 off 101 balls. He was supported by Habibul Bashar (47 off 72 balls), but essentially that was more a superhuman solo effort than a team upset - like Kapil Dev against Zimbabwe in 1983 (India were 17/5 and 78/7, Kapil Dev hit 175no off 138 balls to take India to 266/8 and they bowled Zimbabwe out for 235)

Turned out to be a great series but thats not what the fans were saying after the 1st test! Same old crap England. To come back after being thrashed and never look like losing was tremendous.
How things have changed (and yet somehow stay the same). Day 1 at Lords 2005 went about the same for Australia as day 1 at Sydney this year.

I think a lot of people did appreciate the potential for a good series, however. Especially when Ponting copped one on the face.

Bangladesh beating Aussies obviously and Ireland beating Pakistan also obviously.

I think Ireland's win bears more credence than Bangladesh beating aussies, there was far more at stake and the Irish were not a Test nation (and still aren't) They gained full status after the tournament, not that you'd know some of the non-Test nations had full ODI status.

I had to laugh at the time, the big guns from India and Pakistan felled at the first hurdle by Bangladesh and Ireland respectively. There was always a chance it would happened, fecked over the organisers who wanted a Test nation round-robin for TV and got Bangladesh and Ireland in the mix :laugh

Maybe Ireland was a bigger shock for the result, the India result was a big shock because India were tipped as one of the favourites. Even though Ireland won under D/L, they probably would have won regardless

BAN vs IND 17/03/07 (ICC World Cup 2007)

India 191 all out (49.3 overs)
Ganguly 66, Yuvraj 47. Mortaza 4/38, Razzak 3/38, Rafique 3/35

Bangladesh 192/5 (48.3 overs)
Iqbal 51, Rahim 56no, Al Hasan 53.

Bangladesh beat India by 5 wickets

India beat Bermuda, but then lost comfortably to Sri Lanka and had to pack their bags early. It was a great day as Ireland beak Pakistan

IRE vs PAK 17/03/07 (ICC World Cup 2007)

Pakistan 132 (45.4 overs)
Rankin 3/32

Ireland 133/7 (41.4 overs)
N.O'Brien 72. Sami 3/29

Ireland beat Pakistan by 3 wickets (D/L)

So compared to Bangladesh vs India and vs Australia, the much bigger underdog won the day. No way back for Pakistan, they could only beat Zimbabwe to put them on one win, but as Zimbabwe had tied with Ireland, even Zimbabwe beating West Indies would have put Pakistan out ie the winner of West Indies vs Zimbawe would go through with Ireland.

And in a much bigger context, Bangladesh had been to World Cups before, they'd won ODIs before, but that was the 1st World Cup for Ireland.

ODI Wins Over Test Opposition*

Bangladesh

31/05/99 vs Pakistan (Northampton, WC 1999)
26/12/04 vs India (in Bangladesh)
18/06/05 vs Australia (Sophia Gardens)
22/02/06 vs Sri Lanka (in Bangladesh)
17/03/07 vs India (Port of Spain, WC 2007)
14/01/09 vs Sri Lanka (in Bangladesh)

*excluding Zimbabwe, Bangladesh have beaten them a few times but only since their Test status was in doubt/removed and their team in disarray (that's just outside Harare)

So Bangladesh's win over the aussies wasn't even their first win over Test opposition, it wasn't their first on neutral ground. They themselves weren't a Test nation when they beat Pakistan in 1999, they had been for some time when they won at Sophia Gardens.

Ireland

17/03/07 vs Pakistan (Kingston Jamaica, WC 2007)
15/04/07 vs Bangladesh (Bridgetown Barbados, WC 2007)

Pakistan stand out in Ireland's history, their 1st ODI win over Test nations and on neutral ground. They beat weaker Test opposition later in the competition, but beating Pakistan made their mark on the world of cricket.

Owzat added 4 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

How things have changed (and yet somehow stay the same). Day 1 at Lords 2005 went about the same for Australia as day 1 at Sydney this year.

I think a lot of people did appreciate the potential for a good series, however. Especially when Ponting copped one on the face.

England lost the Test, far be it for me to be quoting "positives" (a pet hate habit that England overuse), but they did take some from that defeat.

- They bowled the aussies out for 190
- Harmison took a 5wi
- No aussie made a fifty in the 1st innings, no hundreds in the match
- Pietersen made fifties in each innings in his 1st Test

and then McGrath, having predicted 5-0, went and trod on a cricket ball (in a 'ball tampering incident' that went unmentioned!) and missed the 2nd Test. The aussies never once made 400+ in the series, it made for a classic series regardless of pre-series expectations.

Nobody has mentioned Netherlands beating England in the World T20 Cup

It was a big upset but not the greatest as in T20 any side can win on a given day.

Above user has said same.That was an upset but being a T20 I wouldn't give it much.Some of the common ones are all posted I think.India and Pak defeated by Bangladesh and Ireland respectively,Aussies defeated by Bangladeshis.

There are your responses :p

WC07 was the biggest upset. i mean other then Bangladesh's success there (every 1 has taken care of that) that world cup was pretty sad and dark.

Bob W. RIP

-Netherlands victory over England in T20 world cup 2009
-Zimbabwe's victory over Aussie in T20 world cup 2007
-Bangladesh's victory over India in world cup 2007
-Ireland beating Pakistan in world cup 2007

Wasnt much dark about the WC 07 from an Aussie perspective, walloping SA twice was awesome! Hayden's 3 tons were sensational.

the whole final was pretty dark. Gilly Squash, SL batting on the dark... all that controversy

For writing comprehensive responses, not just once but twice, reps for Owzat :)

Another upset may be Bangladesh "beating" Pakistan comprehensively in the World Cup 1999. India needed Pakistan to win that game to make the going a bit easy for them & Pakistan lost the match by 62 runs. Tbh, I wasn't surprised :sarcasm

But it was a big win for Bangladesh who were just finding their feet in international cricket at that time :)

Users who are viewing this thread