Review Review for IC 2010 in comparison to AC09

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the action cam (batting) I'd like to see a view point that's higher up. Sort of so you're looking through the batsman's head. Surely this is the way to go.

Also they need to sort out which shots are appropriate to which delivery. See way too many backfoot shots of full balls, and frontfoot shots off short deliveries.

The game needs new animations etc.

Also Bubbly, the phrase is 'pea-roll' and not 'pee-roll'

I think you are clutching at straws with the last one. My knowledge of colloquialisms clearly isn't the same as yours, there's probably a reason for that.

Your funny bubblehead.:laugh. See a joke, to start a post is always fun dude. When there is a forum for ic 2011 lets all put as much good stuff in, thats you to bubble. We can not do much to help, trickstar need to go to codemasters and start a new engine soon. We can all help with the little stuff, stats,bugs. Not the big stuff. Lets hope codemasters give the ego engine from grid to them to play with. But at the moment i will write on this forum because i dont have the game. Wheni get the game my posts will slow down alot.ps i will be playing a good cricket game. :banana2:hpraise

Your funny bubblehead.:laugh. See a joke, to start a post is always fun dude. When there is a forum for ic 2011 lets all put as much good stuff in, thats you to bubble. We can not do much to help, trickstar need to go to codemasters and start a new engine soon. We can all help with the little stuff, stats,bugs. Not the big stuff. Lets hope codemasters give the ego engine from grid to them to play with. But at the moment i will write on this forum because i dont have the game. Wheni get the game my posts will slow down alot.ps i will be playing a good cricket game. :banana2:hpraise

So you don't even have the game and you are defending it.

What can I say? I earn too much ;)
Seriously though I wanted to show support for the developer rather than just get my free review copy.
I've been mulling over purchasing an Xbox360/PS3 for a while now. I'm probably going to hold off until NBA 2K moves away from PC (which won't be till at least 2012, now). That's the only series I've enjoyed playing over the last 3 years (each new edition got progressively better).

Apparently banning you does, not sure what that would fall under though. Couple of months rehab for internet addiction? A call to mummy? :(

Apparently banning you does, not sure what that would fall under though. Couple of months rehab for internet addiction? A call to mummy? :(

Feel free, makes no difference to my life, that's because I have one. You seem to know know much about the 'disorder', did you patent it ?

Why threaten people with the mods with legal action if they didn't un ban you? then From your rash judgment, because I happen to know the name of something and a bit of background knowledge it means I came up with it, or have suffered from it!

Remember i liked ashes, so i will like this one. Im in aus to, if i was in eng i would have the game. I would love to play you online and show you how a aus cricket fan plays. I will make you wet ur pants and crowl back to ur mother for some milk:laugh

I think you are clutching at straws with the last one. My knowledge of colloquialisms clearly isn't the same as yours, there's probably a reason for that.

Thank you for ignoring my points on the game. Why would I be clutching at straws? I am trying to help on that one.

You have a life do you, you say that all the time but ur on here for hours just like us. I love cricket and games, so i will buy any cricket games that comes to my consoles. I also have a good job just like most people on here and a girlfriend. So i have a life but love cricket to bits.:D:D

Sports games and action/RPG/FPS games fall into two very different buckets from a gaming perspective. To develop and sell a quality RPG/action game, the story line becomes as important as the gameplay. Comparatively, sports games don't really feature as much of a storyline. Personalized player modes (such as the My Player mode in the new generation of 2K Sports' games) are combining the two, somewhat, but the very basis of the genre is different. Therefore, you cannot really compare a sports game to one in the RPG genre.

Compared to other sports games, cricket has definitely been struggling. I was an avid and hopeful fan of cricket games back in the 90's and early 2000's, spending my parents' hard-earned cash on such tripe as CWC 2009 (the original version of which didn't even feature left-handed batsmen). There may be something inherent in the nature of the sport that prevents it from lending itself to hours of gameplay. The emergence of T20 cricket may change this but every since I got my first PSX, I've always preferred the NBA and FIFA offerings to any cricket offering (Cricket 07 is probably the only game I've spent a considerable amount of time playing).

I think you are over-estimating the spending power of the Indian middle class. There are unfortunately no accurate statistics available that I can find easily online, but going by a few Sony press releases, of the estimated 35.7 million PS3's sold, 30.5 million were accounted for by NA, Europe and Japan (these are of course guesstimates since I haven't found any concrete regional statistics).

With the Xbox360, the numbers are even more pronounced, with an estimated 36 million of 40 million units sold outside Asia (and excluding Japan). Empirically speaking, I've seen a few Xbox360 consoles in India but by and large India is a generation behind (PS2). The general gaming population sticks to PCs which are cheaper when you account for the fact that they can be used for non-gaming purposes as well.

Finally, even if theoretically the middle class was interested and could afford to purchase current-generation consoles, there is the fact that the network infrastructure is lacking to provide a real online experience, which you were concerned about in your opening post.

The money is not coming from the middle class, it's coming from corporates/rich individuals and advertising. All the IPL franchises are owned by individuals that are in the upper class of society. Most of the money invested is made back, I would imagine, via endorsements and advertising. The only real avenues for the public to spend money on the IPL is through match tickets and merchandise. I have no idea how much money they make off that. The thing to understand here, though, is that the money that IPL brings in is not because the middle class is growing and earning a larger disposable income. It is because cricket is lucrative simply because it is the only sport India plays on a world-level. Since there are so many people, you don't need to sell as much per capita.

A cheap programmer is not a good programmer. You can't create a good game just by constructing an army of cheap programmers. Besides that, you'd either be looking at a start-up or an MNC (such as EA) stepping into ask a studio to develop the game. A start-up wouldn't succeed because they wouldn't be able to get enough capital to get started because a cricket game simply isn't a sound investment. With respect to an MNC, I believe an Indian studio (Trine Games) is responsible for developing EA's next offering.

Sohum:

I'm not comparing the genres, I was concerned with sales potential. Many on here seem to be preoccupied with the fact that a cricket game must be third-rate because realtively few people are interested in the sport - my contention is that the sport already has a fan base, before release, that other games do not.

You may, or may not, be correct about the spending power of Indians. The issue I was making is that they have no truck in buying the latest mobile phones for example; another gadget, albeit of the luxury kind would be well within the price range of many. I'd say the issue is more a lack of marketing by Sony/Microsoft, together with relatively poor broadbad speeds in certain areas and the current western cultural bias of many of the current games. The price of PS3s/Xbox360s have now dropped to a more affordable level too and whilst the PS2 is the mode, this won't take too long to change. If any high-quality cricket game is to be produced, releasing it on PC is a must, although piracy is a concern.

As I stated, even if the proportion of those considered middle class is low, there will be a hell of a lot of them. Having been to that part of the world, I can say that is truly the case.

I agree about the difference between a good programmer and a cheap one. The difference in India is that a good one will, in relative terms, be cheap and that is an advantage. Whether or not this Trine game is real remains to be seen, but would be a step in the right direction if that was the case.

Bubblyjubbly added 2 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Thank you for ignoring my points on the game. Why would I be clutching at straws? I am trying to help on that one.

I didn't ignore them. I was responding to Sohum. I agree with them, are you happy ?

Bubblyjubbly added 1 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

You have a life do you, you say that all the time but ur on here for hours just like us. I love cricket and games, so i will buy any cricket games that comes to my consoles. I also have a good job just like most people on here and a girlfriend. So i have a life but love cricket to bits.:D:D

Are you telling me or yourself ?

Bubblyjubbly added 5 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

With expatriate populations, just looking at North America and Indians, I'd say the vast majority of 2nd generation Indians are not at all interested in cricket games when compared to the local sports. I guess they've been fully assimilated... That obviously differs if you are an expatriate in a cricket-playing nation, but that's not relevant here. My guess is that you would be looking at similar figures in other countries.

I highly doubt anyone would pool money together to buy a console because of one good cricket game with online abilities (except if your name is barmyarmy :p). First of all, there's the question of poor network infrastructure seriously hampering the online capabilities and secondly there's the question of ownership. Ownership may not be an issue if you're older and are actually working but if we're talking about kids from multiple families pooling their money together, that simply wouldn't work.

The only way I see this working is through a gaming lounge or center or something to that effect. If a good cricket game comes out, we may see a rise in gaming centers for kids to play at. This would decrease the cost sufficiently to make it worthwhile, although I'm not sure the game companies would be too pleased.

I think many North American Asians expats are somewhat confused, not assimilated and, in my experience, do love cricket in many cases, not so much the Indians, but that Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans.

The PC option is one that, barring piracy, should do well. The console pooling theory might, in the kind of extended family household system in the subcontinent, prove itself to rather more worthy of consideration than might initially appear the case.

The gaming centre idea is one that I think could have plenty of potential in that part of the world.

Last edited:
Bubbly Jubbs, I disagree with you on what you are saying about this game being a bad patch of AC09.
i do not have the game yet, but I do know for a fact that IC10 has plenty of features that makes this a game and not a patch.
- New custom tournaments
- New squads for all teams
- Much much inproved AI
- Action cam (I know you say this feature is horrendous, but most people that have this game says it's a great feature)
- Power stick
- New kitbag items
- Improved edges
- Improved bounce on the pitches
- Improved field settings
- New Online system that eliminates quitters.

That's all I can think off right now, but this is enough new features to make a game and not a patch.
+ You are also saying that they had a year to make this game. Well, I think they only had half a year to make this game because Transmission games went bank coruppt and became Trickstar games about half a year after the release of AC09.

I can't say anything about how enjoyable the game is though as I have not played it, but one thing is for sure.
This game has so many new features from the previous release that it is worthy to be called a game.

Kaushal added 4 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

BTW Bubbly Jubbs, what university did you go to? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread