Hindi Cinema Discussion

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'll be honest and say that the stunts/action (whatever you call it!) in Dabangg, or for that matter in any South Indian movie is pathetic to say the least. I mean you "touch" one guy and he goes flying into the orbit! If this is what you call "stunts/action", I'm afraid you need to grow up. Big time!

i can understand why it might look ridiculous but apparently, the south indian fans seem to enjoy it very much.

have you ever seen a telugu or a tamil movie in a theatre ? people go crazy when the hero delivers these stunts...especially when he strikes the first "Blow" to the thug / villain, you literally go deaf with whistles and cheering!

King Cricket

International Coach
Yeah, same with the Bengali film industry, which is only good at shamelessly copying South Indian 'masala' movies frame by frame. It's hard to believe that no director from the South has sued us yet on the issue of copyright. Don't know whether the Bengali audience is sick or not but these idiotic copies, devoid of storyline and plot, are always huge hits here. Guess it's a side effect of having too many rasogollas after lunch. :facepalm

Last edited:

Bounce

County Cricketer
Haha Dabaang had the matrix effect :p (the glass one )

i enjoy watching such stunts actions whatever, especially if it's Rajinikanth:banana2
I loved that matrix effect. :laugh

And yes, I love watching those stunts. Although they are impossible and look pathetic, the only to enjoy the movie is too accept the stunts as they are. :)

Pranav

ICC Board Member
i can understand why it might look ridiculous but apparently, the south indian fans seem to enjoy it very much.

have you ever seen a telugu or a tamil movie in a theatre ? people go crazy when the hero delivers these stunts...especially when he strikes the first "Blow" to the thug / villain, you literally go deaf with whistles and cheering!
To answer your question, no I haven't seen a South Indian movie in a theatre. In Delhi, those kinds of movies aren't released in the PVRs or the Satyams. They are released in the "rickshaw wala" (:p) theatres, but then again they aren't subtitled or dubbed. Even if they were, I won't go to a rickshaw wala theatre to watch them!

Apparently one of my mates is (rather was, now that he's shifted to Chennai and, we aren't in touch anymore!) a Madrassi. He gave me DVDs of a few South Indian movies (some dubbed and some subtitled), and said that those were the best ones. I don't remember all the names, but Shivaji - The Boss was one of them. The next time we met, I had a word or two to tell him! All, yes, I mean ALL of them were pathetic. They were more like a 2/3 hour torture. Since then I doubt I have watched any South Indian movie. This was about an year (probably less) back.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'll be honest and say that the stunts/action (whatever you call it!) in Dabangg, or for that matter in any South Indian movie is pathetic to say the least. I mean you "touch" one guy and he goes flying into the orbit! If this is what you call "stunts/action", I'm afraid you need to grow up. Big time!

What about Hollywood then? More pathetic ones are dished out in Hollywood in the name of action. Keanu Reeves and that Matrix action (where he bends, he curves, etc), whats all that? If action in South Indian films are pathetic, Hollywood is worser. Yet people dont mind it in Hollywood but they jump as if hot oil is poured on their feet when they see it in the South.

No body needs to grow or anything. You just need to keep away from such films if you dont like them. And films with such action and masala are now doing extraordinarily well in Bollywood (Ghajini, Wanted, Dabaang), so it proves that the formula that we have been using for a very long time now is not extinct. And your multiplexes too are raking in the moolah (not just what you so sickeningly (my opinion) call the "rickshaw-wallah" theatres).

SaiSrini added 8 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Yeah, same with the Bengali film industry, which is only good at shamelessly copying South Indian 'masala' movies frame by frame. It's hard to believe that no director from the South has sued us yet on the issue of copyright. Don't know whether the Bengali is sick or not but these idiotic copies, devoid of storyline and plot, are always huge hits here. Guess it's a side effect of having too many rasogollas after lunch. :facepalm

They wont sue because they themselves dont own the rights to the story. If they sue, then they will get hauled up for lifting the story from somewhere else. Everyone in India (be it Bollywood, Tamil cinema, Telugu, Bengali, Malayalam, etc) lifts stories from somewhere else, add their own colors and passes it off as their own.

SaiSrini added 3 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Absolutely. Even I enjoy watching them. I know its not possible, but when I see it, it entertains me. And I am not a rickshaw-wallah or anything. I am highly educated (doing my MBA and all) but I still love watching such stunts. Do some know that people here in the US react the same way in the theatres when a Rajnikanth movie is screened here? Here in the US, confetti is thrown in theatres, people whistle and dance in front of the screen here too for a Rajnikanth film. My last two films of Rajni (Chandramukhi and Sivaji), couldnt hear most of the dialogues due to the howling and whistling. And this is done by all those IT guys who have come to the US and who are well educated. So dont just blame the rickshaw-wallahs.

Last edited:

Bounce

County Cricketer
Calm down guys. Its just a forum with healthy discussions going on.
Lets keep it simple. :)

Everyone has their own taste and nobody should actually mind it. :p

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Calm down guys. Its just a forum with healthy discussions going on.
Lets keep it simple. :)

Everyone has their own taste and nobody should actually mind it. :p

Well, the 'grow up' comment was not needed. I dont mind people who like other kinds of films, but I mind people who question the intellect of audiences.

Pranav

ICC Board Member
What about Hollywood then? More pathetic ones are dished out in Hollywood in the name of action. Keanu Reeves and that Matrix action (where he bends, he curves, etc), whats all that? If action in South Indian films are pathetic, Hollywood is worser. Yet people dont mind it in Hollywood but they jump as if hot oil is poured on their feet when they see it in the South.

Leaving aside a couple of movies, I've pretty much enjoyed most of the Hollywood movies I've watched, specifically speaking of the action genre. The intense action is usually supported by the plot, like we had in Terminator series. Rest of them are realistic in my onion. The most recent Hollywood action movie I watched, The Karate Kid had brilliant action sequences, yet keeping the reality quotient alive. We always have a few exceptions though.

And your multiplexes too are raking in the moolah (not just what you so sickeningly (my opinion) call the "rickshaw-wallah" theatres).

I was talking about the South Indian films in particular. You don't see them here in the multiplexes. The Bollywood ones do good, but primary because of the fact that they have a bit of reality in them as well. I personally still don't like these kinds of movies to be honest. I rather enjoy Singh is King, Don (the Shahrukh one) type of action movies, which according to me are very much (if not completely) realistic.

And I am not a rickshaw-wallah or anything. I am highly educated (doing my MBA and all) but I still love watching such stunts.... And this is done by all those IT guys who have come to the US and who are well educated. So dont just blame the rickshaw-wallahs.

Haha! You probably saw my post as an insult towards you, which was never the case! I apologize if it hurt you or something. :) You are an South Indian. I can understand that you enjoy such kinds of movies, considering they're especially made for you! I'm rather basing my opinion as a Dehliite. And by rickaw wala theatres, I mean the cheap/single screen theatres, and am not talking about the actual guys! :p

Well, the 'grow up' comment was not needed. I dont mind people who like other kinds of films, but I mind people who question the intellect of audiences.

I'm going to stick with my opinions on this though. It's time that the South Indian cinema, or for that matter the entire Indian cinema "grows up". Leaving aside a few movies, most of the hardcore action movies die out at the box office. Those which run well, are mainly due to the star power, and interesting stories. I still don't know how Wanted and Dabangg ended up high on the charts though. Ghajni did pretty well, but I won't give all the credits to the action it had. Rather, it had an interesting theme that worked wonders for it. You can see for yourself, Amir Khan gave a bigger hit next year. 3 Idiots overtook Ghajni as the biggest hit in the industry. I doubt it have been able to do so if it was an another action film.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Leaving aside a couple of movies, I've pretty much enjoyed most of the Hollywood movies I've watched, specifically speaking of the action genre. The intense action is usually supported by the plot, like we had in Terminator series. Rest of them are realistic in my onion. The most recent Hollywood action movie I watched, The Karate Kid had brilliant action sequences, yet keeping the reality quotient alive. We always have a few exceptions though.

I was talking about the South Indian films in particular. You don't see them here in the multiplexes. The Bollywood ones do good, but primary because of the fact that they have a bit of reality in them as well. I personally still don't like these kinds of movies to be honest. I rather enjoy Singh is King, Don (the Shahrukh one) type of action movies, which according to me are very much (if not completely) realistic.

Haha! You probably saw my post as an insult towards you, which was never the case! I apologize if it hurt you or something. :) You are an South Indian. I can understand that you enjoy such kinds of movies, considering they're especially made for you! I'm rather basing my opinion as a Dehliite. And by rickaw wala theatres, I mean the cheap/single screen theatres, and am not talking about the actual guys! :p

I'm going to stick with my opinions on this though. It's time that the South Indian cinema, or for that matter the entire Indian cinema "grows up". Leaving aside a few movies, most of the hardcore action movies die out at the box office. Those which run well, are mainly due to the star power, and interesting stories. I still don't know how Wanted and Dabangg ended up high on the charts though. Ghajni did pretty well, but I won't give all the credits to the action it had. Rather, it had an interesting theme that worked wonders for it. You can see for yourself, Amir Khan gave a bigger hit next year. 3 Idiots overtook Ghajni as the biggest hit in the industry. I doubt it have been able to do so if it was an another action film.

Then you should talk about the plot, not about the action. If the plot is good, it doesnt make the action more believable. Outrageous action is still that! Wanted didnt have a plot? It had an undercover cop trying to set things right within the system. Maybe you didnt like Salman in it. Watch the original (Telugu one).

Aamir could have given a bigger hit than Ghajini if he had done an action film, if it was as interesting or better than Ghajini. Why cant he achieve that? And, action films dont need star power. Even a Madhavan can do an action film and get a hit (using his example since he is known to Bollywood, and in Tamil, he is not known for the hardcore action films). Also I guess your friend gave you the wrong choices for tamil films. Watch the good ones like Kaakha Kaakha (which John is now remaking), Vettaiyadu Vilayadu (some one will remake this in Bollywood soon), Varanam Aayiram, Aayirathil Oruvan (the new one), etc. Action backed with good stories.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Pranav, you found Sivaji the boss pathetic? surprised. one of the best Rajni movie ever.

i wonder whats riksha wala theater? is there blue line wala theater? :p

I watched Dabaang in Fame, where i found huge posters of Robot. even the multiplex owners know crowd desperately (i m one of the them) wait for a south movie with it's masala stunts/actions.. if it's Rajni phir to sune pe suhaga :p

long live south Indian movies!! :hpraise :clap

Pranav

ICC Board Member
Then you should talk about the plot, not about the action. If the plot is good, it doesnt make the action more believable. Outrageous action is still that! Wanted didnt have a plot? It had an undercover cop trying to set things right within the system. Maybe you didnt like Salman in it. Watch the original (Telugu one).

You probably didn't read my post carefully then. I nowhere said that a good plot makes the action believable, i.e when talking about the Bollywood movies. I said, that the success of the action movies can't only be attributed to the action (or in your words, stunts) they have in them. They run big on the charts because they have a decent enough plot to "help" them.

Aamir could have given a bigger hit than Ghajini if he had done an action film, if it was as interesting or better than Ghajini. Why cant he achieve that? And, action films dont need star power. Even a Madhavan can do an action film and get a hit (using his example since he is known to Bollywood, and in Tamil, he is not known for the hardcore action films). Also I guess your friend gave you the wrong choices for tamil films. Watch the good ones like Kaakha Kaakha (which John is now remaking), Vettaiyadu Vilayadu (some one will remake this in Bollywood soon), Varanam Aayiram, Aayirathil Oruvan (the new one), etc. Action backed with good stories.

I doubt whether Madhavan will be able to give an action hit (specifically talking about Hindi films). And for the films you've suggested, I am not sure whether I'll get them in stores, and that too dubbed/subtitled versions.

Pranav, you found Sivaji the boss pathetic? surprised. one of the best Rajni movie ever.

Yes, it was very bad if not pathetic! :p

Last edited:

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
I missed so much.

And I am with Pranav too, I didn't like Shivaji the boss, it was really boring and waste of time.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
entertainment, boys !

Munna, jhund me toh suar aate hai, sher akele aata hai !

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread