Season 2012-13 predictions

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I disagree actually. Having seen him in pre-season I think he could definitely play in central midfield in the smaller games. He played very well in that position against Hannover. His main position will be behind the forward but he could definitely play deeper if Utd are going to dominate the game.

Haven't seen him for United yet other than some highlights, but from watching him a lot at Dortmund, surely he isn't the perfect deep-lying playmaker you were after? Wastes his best traits too. Maybe he could do it in home games when other teams are parking the bus.

Anyway, changed up my picks too.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
My prediction now is for Utd to win the title back - RvP and Rooney will be a great partnership. :)

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Doesn't the fix the midfield. Rooney-RVP is formidable, but not that much better than Aguero-Tevez. Man City's partnership probably has a better chemistry at this stage too. Plus, Man City have a better attacking squad, and the squad is what wins you titles, not just a better starting XI.

Last edited:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Doesn't the fix the midfield. Rooney-RVP is formidable, but not that much better than Aguero-Tevez. Man City's partnership probably has a better chemistry at this stage too. Plus, Man City have a better attacking squad, and the squad is what wins you titles, not just a better starting XI.

I still wouldn't write United off, they basically had the same midfield last season, minus Kagawa actually and they almost won the title, so anything can happen here.

Anyway, how do you think Arsenal will go now after such a huge loss? I've seen some Arsenal fans on FB and Twitter actually say he's not a huge loss, where do you stand on all this?

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Man Utd are stronger than last season for sure in attack. Plus Vidic is back. I just think Man City showed more quality last season, and showed their lack of experience as a unit and as a title-challenging team when they began to mess it up. After winning the title and gelling together better, I reckon Man City have gained more than Man Utd and are still significantly stronger (plus have possibly the best squad in Europe after Real).

It's likely that guys saying RVP isn't much of a loss are being bitter (why shouldn't we be bitter though...). He is a huge loss. On paper though, we have replaced him with Podolski and Giroud so things aren't too bleak. He carried us last season, in both a creative sense and a goal socring sense. A squad wins you the title, and Giroud and Podolski as strikers are together in all likeliness better options as goalscorers. Cazorla is finally a Fabregas replacement as well (though not as good), so should bring the creativity back as well. So in those senses he isn't a huge loss to the squad I don't think. He was 29 as well, and a complete crock, so who knows. Another season playing every game would've tired him out and possibly injured him too, so really it's not as big as losing Fabregas, and we survived losing him, Nasri and Clichy. So we'll do it again for sure.

In another sense though, RVP is the biggest loss yet. We've just lost our club captain and it has finally been officially confirmed that we are nothing more than a selling clubs. It hugely unsettles the club (Walcott and Song are surely gone now too). RVP was a true leader in every sense last season, more so than Fabregas and more so than Vermaelen will be.

Overall though, we will be fine, and I'm sure we have a chance at 3rd still as the money will be reinvested into two new players. Man Utd are once again significantly stronger than us though squad wise.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

True enough about the midfield, but if we'd had RvP last season, not only would we have won the league, we would've won it with a embarassingly large margin - as we should've done in any case! Blowing eight point leads is not what Utd usually do! And of course, we have Vidic back for hopefully the whole season this time.

If Walcott goes, I hope he goes abroad - it'll do him a lot of good as far as England is concerned.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I reckon he's going to Liverpool or Chelsea.

Really he would do well in a more counter-attacking setup. He can't go past his man, all he can really do is kick the ball forward really far and run after it, so he's useless for us half the time. I'd actually enjoy to see him go as we'd get a huge fee and he isn't very good.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I rate him on a level equal to Pennant.

A foreign move could help him if he's willing to go.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Agreed

Overated, never lived up to all the hype.

He should count himself lucky he is at a top 4 club, by his ability he is a mid table player at best

And yet, he's provided performances like that one against Croatia. We have too many players who can do it, but can't do it consistently. :facepalm

Lee1981

International Coach
And yet, he's provided performances like that one against Croatia. We have too many players who can do it, but can't do it consistently. :facepalm

But since he first came to my attention 6 years ago, that performance against Croatia is all i can remember,

So one performance in what over 100 games is really not top 4 or international class, obviously he's had some other decent games, but one standout match is just not enough

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
But since he first came to my attention 6 years ago, that performance against Croatia is all i can remember,

So one performance in what over 100 games is really not top 4 or international class, obviously he's had some other decent games, but one standout match is just not enough

Well, he did change the game against Sweden, but I see your point. It's a shame, he had such promise but like you, I don't think it's going to be fulfilled. :facepalm

Lee1981

International Coach
Well, he did change the game against Sweden, but I see your point. It's a shame, he had such promise but like you, I don't think it's going to be fulfilled. :facepalm

It is a shame, someone with pace like that should cause chaos,

I think a lot of his problem has been no one really knows his best position, he has the pace for the wings, but is far to negative, it's like he is scared to make a mistake.

And when he is up top he is a pretty good finisher , just he doesn't really have the movement to play there to a good level, pace only gets you so far.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Man Utd are stronger than last season for sure in attack. Plus Vidic is back. I just think Man City showed more quality last season, and showed their lack of experience as a unit and as a title-challenging team when they began to mess it up. After winning the title and gelling together better, I reckon Man City have gained more than Man Utd and are still significantly stronger (plus have possibly the best squad in Europe after Real).

It's likely that guys saying RVP isn't much of a loss are being bitter (why shouldn't we be bitter though...). He is a huge loss. On paper though, we have replaced him with Podolski and Giroud so things aren't too bleak. He carried us last season, in both a creative sense and a goal socring sense. A squad wins you the title, and Giroud and Podolski as strikers are together in all likeliness better options as goalscorers. Cazorla is finally a Fabregas replacement as well (though not as good), so should bring the creativity back as well. So in those senses he isn't a huge loss to the squad I don't think. He was 29 as well, and a complete crock, so who knows. Another season playing every game would've tired him out and possibly injured him too, so really it's not as big as losing Fabregas, and we survived losing him, Nasri and Clichy. So we'll do it again for sure.

In another sense though, RVP is the biggest loss yet. We've just lost our club captain and it has finally been officially confirmed that we are nothing more than a selling clubs. It hugely unsettles the club (Walcott and Song are surely gone now too). RVP was a true leader in every sense last season, more so than Fabregas and more so than Vermaelen will be.

Overall though, we will be fine, and I'm sure we have a chance at 3rd still as the money will be reinvested into two new players. Man Utd are once again significantly stronger than us though squad wise.

United probably need two more signing to look the real deal IMO. Right and left-back. As we have been discussing for weeks, surely they need to get Debuchey from Lillee and if they can bring in Baines as rumours as suggested to back up/challenge Evra then the league should really be afraid of this United squad.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Really can't see us signing anyone else, outside of youngsters that we'll farm out on loan.

Users who are viewing this thread