My Batting Advice

I have to wonder if people are using the aggressive ground stroke modifier (Holding down LT+RT) when they are complaining that shots are too uppish. Using that modifier invariable makes the ball play along the ground when I use it.

No modifier = not intended to be ground strokes although proper timing will result in shots along the ground.
Aggressive modifier = not intended to be ground strokes - intended to blast the ball over the infield
Aggressive ground modifier = Intended to be ground strokes, but as before, play the right shots for the right balls

From all the footage I have personally captured, I can provide a good 10 min montage showing that ground strokes do indeed work, but if you're poor at timing the ball or the shot is inappropriate, it will either edge, miss, or go up in the air.

I was thinking also that aggressive ground shot modifier (LT and RT) made most shots play uppish. However I have the propensity to play most of my shots on the back foot. Even if a 'green' circled ball is bowled, it is usually short enough to get a backfoot shot away. I have noticed that the incidence of receiving a yellow (fuller delivery) increases if I move my batsmans stance in the crease prior to a delivery. Either towards the stumps or away from them seems to increase more full deliveries.

I tired the aggressive ground shot modifier last night and while it worked fine I found timing the ball was difficult. I can only assume that when my player grows up these shots will be easier to play.

That said I still hold by the view that hitting the ball on the ground should be a default of the game and not a skill you pick up due to a larger timing window.

All that said, I have found a half decent strategy to making runs. I do what any cricketer should be doing and that is working the field. I always have the right defensive trigger pressed down and only play a shot when the ball is in my zone. So if the ball is full and on the legs or short (and there's no mid wicket) I'll let go of the trigger. I still hit the ball in the air (especially on the pull) but there's no-one there to catch it.

The AI will usually move a fieldsman from the offside to protect the leg, and at that point I change my tactics - especially if the cover or mid off has been moved. And so it goes.

The trick - as many have said - is to check the field after every cut screen. Also not premeditating the actual shot but only playing the shot when the ball is in the zone. This, as I've discovered, takes practice and often I'll be playing a shot in my zone but found out that I haven't actually taken my finger off the defensive trigger. The good thing is that 95% of the time the worst thing that can happen is that rather than play a clip off the legs the batsman will block. The shame is that it's difficult running a quick single in those instances, even if the short man isn't in position.

Also, short cover is evil. Even if mid off and covers is clear he will often catch the ball if you slightly mistime the direction and don't get as straight as you're hoping.

Finally, has anyone seen a legbye in this game?

Mondy

Last edited:
My Strategy is failing me big time especially while facing fast and FM bowlers
The thing that used to work for me on Amatuer mode was to keep 4 shots in mind

1. Front Foot + offside/straight
2. FF + Legside
3. BF Pull
4. BF cut

When facing pace bowlers now, i hardly get time to even select any of the 4 above and when i do, i hit it in the air . There are no ground shots i could manage
Lots of edges to slip/keep since i am playing late

Any tips?

Last edited:
I have to wonder if people are using the aggressive ground stroke modifier (Holding down LT+RT) when they are complaining that shots are too uppish. Using that modifier invariable makes the ball play along the ground when I use it.

No modifier = not intended to be ground strokes although proper timing will result in shots along the ground.
Aggressive modifier = not intended to be ground strokes - intended to blast the ball over the infield
Aggressive ground modifier = Intended to be ground strokes, but as before, play the right shots for the right balls

From all the footage I have personally captured, I can provide a good 10 min montage showing that ground strokes do indeed work, but if you're poor at timing the ball or the shot is inappropriate, it will either edge, miss, or go up in the air.
I hardly play aggressive shots... Just the right stick on frony foot. All my shots r going in air. I checked my timing in the nets and they r good enough.

how to block in batting

how to block in batting in don bradman cricket

show me buttons to block the ball

i didn't block the shot

& how to ask for DRS in career mod match

my career player didn't ask for DRS

which the button for asking DRS

Ok, I'm trying to get to grips with how the footwork system works, and it's a tad puzzling.

One of the annoying things that keeps getting me out is when I go for a shot and my guy sticks his front foot nowhere near where I intend and gets bowled playing a completely different line. I've been trying to work out if I'm putting unconscious pressure on the left stick as I'm playing the shot, or if the game is overruling my foot work on the basis of my shot choice.

I tend to get out plonking my foot way outside leg stump to straight ones, so I taped up the left hand analog stick on my xbox controller so I can only push forward straight or to the offside.

Then I got out driving like this, pretty typically :

footwork.png

I was looking for a good length ball on off or middle stick to clobber over mid on. I'm pretty sure I can't have put my left stick to that position with the tape restricting movement so I think the game overruled my footwork - and consequently the intended course of my swing, it seems? - on the basis of my right stick input to aim over mid on.

The other similar dismissal is when I go for a leg glance, and my player zooms over to the offside and I get bowled. I've had a couple where I could swear I was holding the left stick centre forward through the whole shot.

I got bowled like that earlier as well. Played straight to a bowler (footwork and shot) and front foot ends up pointing to midwicket. Bat misses the ball completely. Maybe it has something to do with the stats of my career player, but if that's the case I'm not sure how I'm supposed to improve!

Yeah it's been bugging me for a while but I've been putting it down to user error on the left stick.

This tape system works quite well for restricting movements in certain areas so I think I'll investigate further.

Are you on legend? I wondered if legend had extra sensitive footwork control.

I really just want my dude to get into line around off stump most of the time.

tapecontrol.jpg

I'm on pro. Batting all-rounder, but my batting stats aren't great.

Honestly, I love how punishing the difficulty is. You're only ever one mistake away from getting out. And sometimes it feels like you just got out to a really good delivery. But other times it feels like you got to an average delivery when you didn't really do anything wrong. Like I got out yesterday to a full length straight ball and I played a straight defensive shot to and I completely missed.

Last edited:
Yeah my stats are pretty dire but hopefully that doesn't mean I have to bat like I have ice skates on.

I'm all for a batting challenge but I need to understand wtf I'm doing wrong so I can correct it. As you said, sometimes I'm just not sure.

Part of the problem is that I'm on pro cam, though, so it's difficult to know exactly what you did with your feet and the exact line of the ball unless you check replays.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm trying to get to grips with how the footwork system works, and it's a tad puzzling.

One of the annoying things that keeps getting me out is when I go for a shot and my guy sticks his front foot nowhere near where I intend and gets bowled playing a completely different line. I've been trying to work out if I'm putting unconscious pressure on the left stick as I'm playing the shot, or if the game is overruling my foot work on the basis of my shot choice.

I tend to get out plonking my foot way outside leg stump to straight ones, so I taped up the left hand analog stick on my xbox controller so I can only push forward straight or to the offside.

Then I got out driving like this, pretty typically :

footwork.png

I was looking for a good length ball on off or middle stick to clobber over mid on. I'm pretty sure I can't have put my left stick to that position with the tape restricting movement so I think the game overruled my footwork - and consequently the intended course of my swing, it seems? - on the basis of my right stick input to aim over mid on.

The other similar dismissal is when I go for a leg glance, and my player zooms over to the offside and I get bowled. I've had a couple where I could swear I was holding the left stick centre forward through the whole shot.

The first thing to be aware of is that there is no dead spot in the centre of the stick movement. It triggers if you move it at all - so even taping the stick, you can probably get enough movement in the taped directions to trigger dodgy foot movement.

That being said, I've often felt that the foot movement I get is "assisted" in ways I don't want. Interestingly, I do quite well in Match Practise, where I always play a level higher than I'm actually playing my career in (so Veteran instead of Pro).

My understanding is that there's less assistance at higher levels. I'm thinking of trying career mode at the higher levels, see if that ends up actually helping - because I _often_ get out playing defensive shots with footwork similar to what you have here, when I don't want to step that far outside leg (and I certainly didn't want to outside edge it back on to my stumps)

I think, but have no evidence and never got BAS to answer when I asked about it, that the foot placement is also affected by confidence.

Well, the thing is I'd assumed that the footwork control was proportional - that a big foot movement requires a big movement of the left stick, I'm not sure that's the case now.

It seems to work that way most of the time, but not on these shots where I'm suddenly plonking my front foot miles away from the line.

It's really difficult to track your own input accurately though so I'm just not sure.

Well, the thing is I'd assumed that the footwork control was proportional - that a big foot movement requires a big movement of the left stick, I'm not sure that's the case now.

It seems to work that way most of the time, but not on these shots where I'm suddenly plonking my front foot miles away from the line.

It's really difficult to track your own input accurately though so I'm just not sure.

*grins* Yes, that's exactly where I'm at with it, too.

I know for certain that there's no proportionality in terms of the distance from the centre to the circumference. I've often been left saying "I didn't intend to leap out there!", and have been looking for an explanation.

I think that the fact that we don't actually select a shot, but on/straight/off + back/forward footwork and a direction we're trying to hit the ball gives some odd results.

For instance, try and hit a ball square on the leg side from outside off stump. Your boy will almost always attempt a front-foot pull, no matter how full the ball is (yes, a leg glance is not a high-percentage shot to a ball outside off - but it's a higher percentage shot than trying to pull it through midwicket)

My wife regularly gets to hear me complain "that's not the shot I played!" and the advice from people on here (who have no more information than I have about what I did with the sticks, but let's not dwell on that) is that I must have done something incorrect ... but as you're finding out, I don't think it's as simple as that.

*shrugs* just got caught behind again from what should have been a really thick outside edge, but the ball went through the bat ...

Yeah my stats are pretty dire but hopefully that doesn't mean I have to bat like I have ice skates on.

I'm all for a batting challenge but I need to understand wtf I'm doing wrong so I can correct it. As you said, sometimes I'm just not sure.

Part of the problem is that I'm on pro cam, though, so it's difficult to know exactly what you did with your feet and the exact line of the ball unless you check replays.

Adding batting feedback mechanism for footwork and timing, similar to what is resent in "MAtch Practice", in the matches and career mode should help with the problem. Currently you have no idea whether you are dismissed coz you played the shot early or late, or whether your footwork was poor. An optional feedback mechanism will help us figure out the problem and improve. Hopefully Big Ant will add this feedback mechanism in matches in the next patch.

Users who are viewing this thread