India in England Jun-Sept 2014

grkrama

National Board President
Interesting observation, i would imagine first gen migrants to support their origin team, but if its a lot of 2nd gen or 3rd gen people(is this populous actually high in uk?, i thought its mostly first gen people there) it could be due to most asian society trying to keep their roots intact, also just because they support or chant for the visiting origin team wouldn't mean they don't support england it could be something as simple as seeing a bit of the nation of your origins and cheering about it.I dont think there is any malaise in that other than that england need to improve their brand of cricket, i cant remember any other eng cricketer after KP connecting with the crowd.
A lot of depends on the brand of cricket played too, it depends on what the individuals likes about cricket and offers his support to the team that delivers it etc

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
A lot of Asians moved to the UK in the 1970s, to big cities like London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds. So if we are talking about 40 years ago then we're probably at the stage where their children are having children now.

grkrama

National Board President
Have to agree with one point on the article though after reading it fully now, abusing players like moeen or bopara or monty for representing england if true is pretty pathetic and a very unfortunate situation for these talented players, i mean people here in india don't see it that way, if the player is in that eng jersey that's were he belongs.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Look at this stupid question, skypsorts Ian Ward asking ENG fans on twitter :facepalm

Ian Ward @Wardyskycricket ·
Question people. You have one choice. World Cup win in Australia this winter, or Ashes win next summer? And NO!! It's either or not both....

Wouldn't call it a stupid question at all, it's one I've heard around a lot from fellow cricketers recently.

Was nice to see Anderson trying a couple of variations today! Looks more promising.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Lot of positives for India to look at from this successful ODI series. The performance of Rahane and Ambati Rayudu is a massive shot in the arm for us, especially with a World Cup in Australia coming up. These two guys have the technique to succeed in foreign conditions. Rayudu especially has been great in this series. As far as bowling, the comeback of Ashwin and the return to rhythm of Shami are the big positives. We need to persist with Yadav and also bring Aaron into the picture. Aaron and Yadav fighting it out for a third seamer spot for Australia would be fabulous. I dont see Mohit Sharma making any waves in Australia/NZ. Might as well have Ishwar Pandey in the squad and use him as backup (for that, Pandey needs to get games in the upcoming WI ODI's and the tri-series in Australia).

Didn't expect this, but I think the pieces for India for the WC seem to be falling into place a lot quicker than expected. I would still be very skeptical of our chances since we are playing in Australia/NZ. But we should be called contenders.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
BCCI willing to pay Ravi Shastri Rs 1.5 crore in new contract | Zee News

"Shastri also wants BCCI to compensate him for his earnings which comes from his contracts as TV commentator & media columnist. As per sources 'Shastri has informed BCCI not to expect any miracle against Australia in the upcoming Test series later this year. His focus will be revival of Indian team performance on foreign soil especially for the ICC Cricket World Cup in 2015"

I especially love this paragraph from that article. Shastri is absolutely right in saying not to expect any miracles against Australia. That last line, if I were the guy deciding Shastri's upcoming tenure with the Indian team, I would ask him to join immediately. That attitude (of wanting to revive India's performance overseas) is what the team needs. If Shastri can stay away from his media commitments, I dont see why he can't become the head coach for India with the likes of Bangar as batting coach.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Just a message to Michael Vaughan

Bw1rymcIIAAVzow.jpg

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That World Cup over Ashes debite made me cringe. The Ashes is the biggest rivalry in cricket if not the biggest in sport. Firstly it is in the only format that matters, ODI and T20s are great and all but they are nowhere close to Tests. The sad truth is people (Especially in Asia) arent interested in tests anymore as they are to long, thats probably why Poker didnt understand why anyone would be interested in batsmen blocking for 5 days instead of hitting "Masive SIXES out da grond" which is really annoying to me because if it carries on like this Test matches might not be around by the time I could be able to play them :D.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Why Vaughan? What did he do?

Also who all have signed the pic, cant make out any signature. I think one could be Virat (left) and the most right one is Shikhar perhaps. No clue who the one in the middle is.

After we lost the test series, this is what Vaughan tweeted

Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 11.20.07 AM.png

And that picture was a reply to him.

I think the middle signature is of Raina.

That World Cup over Ashes debite made me cringe. The Ashes is the biggest rivalry in cricket if not the biggest in sport. Firstly it is in the only format that matters, ODI and T20s are great and all but they are nowhere close to Tests. The sad truth is people (Especially in Asia) arent interested in tests anymore as they are to long, thats probably why Poker didnt understand why anyone would be interested in batsmen blocking for 5 days instead of hitting "Masive SIXES out da grond" which is really annoying to me because if it carries on like this Test matches might not be around by the time I could be able to play them :D.

Actually Ashes is not even the biggest rivarly in Cricket, let alone the biggest rivalry in all of sport. Indo-Pak rivalry far far exceeds the Ashes series. The Ashes is just a sporting rivalry, Indo-Pak matches has all the history and bitterness and political tensions, the scars of partition and the 4 wars fought between the nations all spill into it. You cannot even start to compare all this to a mere sporting rivalry. In a major indo pak match/series two nations (not just cricket followers) come to a standstill. In the Ashes, nothing even remotely comparable happens. Hell a majority of the English pop doesn't even know there is an Ashes series going on, or do not care at all for the sport of cricket.

While I do agree that tests are the biggest test of an individual player, but apart from random series that come around every year or so, there is nothing really to win in tests, as a team. You are only playing for the #1 ranking, but in no sport does the #1 ranking mean more than winning real competitions. Yes there is the #1 test ranking, and when its your team on top, its a great feeling, but good luck to anyone who can figure out how those rankings work. The test rankings are not a 'real' competition by any stretch of the imagination.

All sports are geared towards winning 'real' competitions, and the World Cup is the biggest competition there is in cricket. That is why it is so important and to everyone (except the Eng fans maybe), the biggest prize in the sport. Just think how ridiculous it would sound if Germany said we don't care about winning the World Cup, we just want to be the #1 team in the FIFA rankings !! The FIFA rankings are bollocks as are the ICC Test and ODI rankings and not a real competition at all. Real glory is winning competitions and not being ranked whatever, especially on some table no one understands in the first place.

Even in Tennis where the #1 ranking matters a great deal more and has a lot more prestige attached to it than the ICC Rankings or FIFA Rankings, any player would rather win the grand slams than be ranked #1. Real glory in any sport is winning competitions, sadly in test cricket (which is the biggest test for individual players) there is no 'special' competition to win. Just bilateral series after bilateral series which are effectively all on the same pedestal. Yes there are some which are harder to win and some easier, but as far the series themselves go, they are all on the same pedestal.

The Ashes is just another bilateral series, yes one with a lot of history and very rich history infact, but its just Eng vs Aus series. We get the history, but apart from that how is it different from SL vs Pak or Ind vs SA or hell Ban vs Zim? Yes it has a history but as a competition it has the same relevance as any of other series I mentioned. SL beating Pak doesn't make it world champions anymore than Eng beating Aus make them world champion, and to the rest of the world Eng playing/beating Aus is no more a special event than SL beating/playing Pakistan. There are many such series every year. The World Cup though is a special event, and one that comes around once in 4 years.

Also don't kid yourself that teams in Asia don't care for test cricket. Thats utter nonsense. India were so great in the ODIs but this tour is still going to be remembered as a disaster. The ODI series will not matter in a few weeks and everyone will only remember the test loss. This would not happen if tests didn't matter.

I do understand how the English fans are so obsessed with the Ashes. It predates the World Cup by 100 years and for generations the English cricketers have been brought up wanting to win the Ashes, before there even was a world cup. So that mentality still remains with them. What the issue is though that just because the Eng fans have the Ashes, they expect everyone else to also not think of the World Cup as the biggest prize in sport, and think of Ashes (which 8 out of the 10 teams dont even play), as the be all and end all of cricket. That is not going to happen.

Its not that the rest of the world doesn't get the importance of the Ashes for England, its actually the Eng fans who don't get why the World Cup is the biggest prize there is on offer in Cricket. Eng can either live in their Ashes centric world of the 1960s, or join the rest of the cricketing world in the 21st century of cricket.

Even if one assumes that Ashes is most important to Eng fans, then even so surely, the World Cup be the next most important thing there is in cricket, even to Eng fans. So I definitely don't buy the 'donot care' attitude from the Eng fans about the World Cup, because it is ODIs and not tests.

Last edited:
After we lost the test series, this is what Vaughan tweeted

View attachment 130188

And that picture was a reply to him.

I think the middle signature is of Raina.

Oh lol ... I think if that pic is real and actually addressed to Vaughan then that is a gross over-reaction by the players. Vaughan has a right to comment on the performance by the side, and who can blame him for saying that the last three tests were an abject surrender by India.

If that pic is real then they are getting carried away, and over-reacting. If what people tweet when they lose hurts the team so much then they should just perform better on the field.

Thats what I feel anyway.

England abuse hints at deep malaise | Cricket News | England v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Yep. In my entire life of all the brit asians i know whether of caribbean (trinidad/guyana) or IND/PAK back-ground, i've only met 2 who support England in cricket

If some of the expats have Brit citizenship then there is no excuse for supporting any team over Eng (their national side).

If some English bloke came to Ind and took up Indian citizenship, and then in an Ind vs Eng fixture he started to cheer for Eng, I would not exactly be welcoming that attitude.

While its good that Ind get so much support, but if they are Brit nationals, then they should be supporting Eng, not Ind or Pakistan.

Also if Moenn Ali is English, then the only team he belongs in is England. I don't think that if he changed his nationality, and started playing for India (I know he would go Pakistan, but suppose he did), I don't know if I would welcome him.

Recently I read about Michael Chopra (who is going to take part in the ISL) former Newcastle United player, wanting to take up Indian nationality, to be able to play Int'l Football, I thought I would not exactly be thrilled about it. He has been a brit all his life, so why play for India now.

Same in cricket. Moenn Ali is English and there is only one team where he belongs. Those who booed him for that are stupid.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
The sad truth is people (Especially in Asia) arent interested in tests anymore as they are to long,

Also don't kid yourself that teams in Asia don't care for test cricket. Thats utter nonsense. India were so great in the ODIs but this tour is still going to be remembered as a disaster. The ODI series will not matter in a few weeks and everyone will only remember the test loss. This would not happen if tests didn't matter.

^this, also every format of cricket has the highest viewership and followers in India.India has around 12 test matches this year and all of them have had a great following.Its easy to let prejudices or assumptions sink in, but always helps to check facts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread