England's tour of Sri Lanka - November/December 2014

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I didn't see England's innings, but obviously we didn't score enough runs, so therefore the bowlers aren't defending enough, so it was always going to be hard for them. What did annoy me though, is Cook setting fields as though he was defending 300 or something.

I mean chances are, we were never going to win defending that total, but at least be more aggressive and get some catchers in there or try to close some gaps to force a big shot. It was just negative and pointless really. We were essentially relying on two all time greats to either miss a straight ball, or pick out a fielder, which might happen some days, but not that often under no pressure.

bigred

Club Captain
I said in May that if Cook stepped down, the new captain would have enough time to build a team and make plans. I genuinely believe it's too late now for Morgan to change anything before the WC.

However as we are going to get hammered anyway, we may as we'll pick a young team and give them the experience of playing in a major tournament. Morgan could skipper it with the view that he's beginning his plans for 2019.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Cook is a very good batsman. No doubt regarding his batting. He is not proved to be an good skipper after Andrew Strauss. Giving a chance to Morgan is a good move by selectors.

D

Deleted member 149013

Alex Hales
Moen Ali
James Taylor
Ravi Bopara
Eoin Morgan
Jos Buttler
Samit Patel
Chris Jordan
Stuart Broad
Liam Plunkett
Tymal Mills

Plunkett the forgotten man who did really well and was dropped. Mills you need pace in Australia and this left arm fast could do the business. No Anderson who isn't effective with a white ball. Woakes isn't ready yet leaks too many runs and Stokes is in poor form. Patel has done well of late and I reckon better then Tredwell or maybe Adil Rashid. Bopara needs to be higher up the order his batting is making Root, Morgan and Bell look amateur. I hope we have seen the last of Cook fullstop the Aussies found him out hence the rest of the international teams did.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Tymal Mills...? What's with all the hype. He can't do it against English county batsman yet alone against international batsmen. I'd have Woakes over Plunkett and Jordan any day based on recent form and the fact that Plunkett hasn't played OD cricket in over a year if I remember correctly?

D

Deleted member 149013

Mills has potential and a left arm fast bowler would mix up the bowling options. Most England players can't do against international players they get stage fright and forget how to play. The fact Plunkett hasn't played for a while doesn't matter he hadn't played for a while in test format but did well against Sri Lanka.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
If Mills had potential he wouldn't be bowling so out of control and struggling to get in a county side in my opinion. The pace means nothing if you can't control where it's going. Plunketts a 50/50 choice in my opinion. With the bowlers we currently have he clearly won't get in by the selectors, but perhaps he should have been considered for the squad. That's a tougher one. And when you say he hadn't played in a while in test format, he'd still been playing FC cricket regularly... I'm just not sure he's as much of a limited overs bowler as he is a test bowler.

D

Deleted member 149013

Johnson sprayed the ball everywhere but look at him now under the right coach who knows and the fact that mills has had an injury last season. Woakes I wouldn't drop him he would be an understudy to Broad and be rotated I think he hasn't matured enough to lead an attack and could see teams like South Africa taking him apart. I think the whole idea is to say that England are bad at limited overs so lets try new things and freshen it up. Plunkett has done it at international level brief yes but that's what I would be looking for to build a team with the right mental attitude.

bigred

Club Captain
Alex Hales
Moen Ali
James Taylor
Ravi Bopara
Eoin Morgan
Jos Buttler
Samit Patel
Chris Jordan
Stuart Broad
Liam Plunkett
Tymal Mills

Plunkett the forgotten man who did really well and was dropped. Mills you need pace in Australia and this left arm fast could do the business. No Anderson who isn't effective with a white ball. Woakes isn't ready yet leaks too many runs and Stokes is in poor form. Patel has done well of late and I reckon better then Tredwell or maybe Adil Rashid. Bopara needs to be higher up the order his batting is making Root, Morgan and Bell look amateur. I hope we have seen the last of Cook fullstop the Aussies found him out hence the rest of the international teams did.

Your top 7 are spot on. However, 8 down is a joke. Woakes is in way better form than Jordan. Plunkett barely plays limited overs cricket. As for Mills, he's one of the worst bowlers I've seen on the county grounds. I think Anderson and Finn would retire if Tymal Mills is deemed more effective than them.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Johnson was however still taking wickets at domestic level consistently. Like I said above, Mills is evens struggling to get in the side.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
On this topic :

Englands future (my opinion) :

Batsmen - Root, Ballance, Robson, Hales (I feel he'll get preffered over Robson however), Taylor, Vince, Lees/Lyth?

All rounders - Ali, Woakes, Stoakes, Rashid possibly. (I'd still consider chucking Borthwick in here mostly for his batting but he seems to have fallen out favour)

Keepers - Buttler, Bairstow, Billings if he can carry his form from last season to all formats.

Bowlers - Finn, Riley (If he can develop his bowling more on top of last season), Jordan (possibly although I get the feeling he won't nail down a spot) - Bit vague in most areas around others here at the moment.

Of course I may have missed a few however those are what I feel appear obviously the most promising at the moment. That's just in general across all formats.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 149013

Your top 7 are spot on. However, 8 down is a joke. Woakes is in way better form than Jordan. Plunkett barely plays limited overs cricket. As for Mills, he's one of the worst bowlers I've seen on the county grounds. I think Anderson and Finn would retire if Tymal Mills is deemed more effective than them.
Is Cook not a joke playing in an ODI side and opening the batting?

D

Deleted member 149013

On this topic :

Englands future (my opinion) :

Batsmen - Root, Ballance, Robson, Hales (I feel he'll get preffered over Robson however), Taylor, Vince, Lyth?

All rounders - Ali, Woakes, Stoakes, Rashid possibly. (I'd still consider chucking Borthwick in here mostly for his batting but he seems to have fallen out favour)

Keepers - Buttler, Bairstow, Billings if he can carry his form from last season to all formats.

Bowlers - Finn, Riley (If he can develop his bowling more on top of last season), Jordan (possibly although I get the feeling he won't nail down a spot) - Bit vague in most areas around others here at the moment.

Of course I may have missed a few however those are what I feel appear obviously the most promising at the moment. That's just in general across all formats.
What about Roy? But I like the look of that possible side

Users who are viewing this thread