England's tour of Sri Lanka - November/December 2014

D

Deleted member 149013

I do agree that there is a certain sense of disharmony and if what we've heard of senior players being less than welcoming of the younger guys then it really can harm a team. However, it's not just the psychological edge that England lack, they also lack truly match winning players. Ali seems to be developing into one of those, Jimmy at his best is definitely one but with Cook at the helm, I'm not sure how far the ODI squad can go.

Like I said, I used to be a huge backer of the Cook captaincy but with Australia, KP-gate and his own lack of confidence, I think his time is up. He seems mroe disruptive than calming.

Let's discuss Ali first, he averages around 45 with 3 50s and a century to his name, without a doubt the best England batsman in that period, along with that he's taken a wicket in almost every game BUT yes, he isn't as good as a front line spinner but in Australia I'm not sure that's what we need if I'm being honest. We need good pace bowlers who will pick up wickets with some spinners that can restrain the run rate AND get through some quick overs. Morgan bowls a bit as does Bell, is that enough to fill in the gaps when needed? I've already got 6 bowlers including Ali and Bopara.

The only other spin option is maybe Tredwell or possibly an addition of Borthwick? Rashid? But in a tournament of this magnitude? I don't know. It's a tough call in terms of spinners and including a full time spinner needs a batsman will have to go?

In terms of Bell and Root...especially in case of the latter, you have got it wrong. The guy has 2 centuries, an average of almost 40 and a pretty good strike rate. He's already had two decent scores in the series and has never been slow. In terms of Bell, he is way too inconsistent but he has shown intent and a real eagerness to try and hit out and score as fast as possible. That's the mentality England need and he should be given a shot but there's no reason why he can't be rotated with Taylor who shoed a little spark today.
If England lose a wicket then Bell comes in and the power play it is a crucial time in the game I don't think he scores enough in areas he will hit a spinner over the top or play down to third man. I think Buttler would do a better job in at 3 than Bell we need runs fast maybe Hales and Ali then Buttler to make the most of the power play. Root he has a good record maybe he could be more aggressive to survive in the ODI format. The second spinner I was pushing for this because I don't think we have enough pace or the players to make it count Finn to me doesn't have the cricket brain to work on a players weakness regardless of the player just bangs it in and is easy to read. If we were to play Australia on there home soil with pace its meat and drink for them but they showed recently a weakness in batting against spin.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
If England lose a wicket then Bell comes in and the power play it is a crucial time in the game I don't think he scores enough in areas he will hit a spinner over the top or play down to third man. I think Buttler would do a better job in at 3 than Bell we need runs fast maybe Hales and Ali then Buttler to make the most of the power play. Root he has a good record maybe he could be more aggressive to survive in the ODI format. The second spinner I was pushing for this because I don't think we have enough pace or the players to make it count Finn to me doesn't have the cricket brain to work on a players weakness regardless of the player just bangs it in and is easy to read. If we were to play Australia on there home soil with pace its meat and drink for them but they showed recently a weakness in batting against spin.

We do have Anderson and Broad to come back in to the team though. Jordan and Woakes to also play instead of Bopara, or would you pick one of them and have Ravi for a bit of mixed pace?

D

Deleted member 149013

We do have Anderson and Broad to come back in to the team though. Jordan and Woakes to also play instead of Bopara, or would you pick one of them and have Ravi for a bit of mixed pace?
Anderson the best swing bowler for me but he does have a good record away from England. I don't think he likes the white ball but at a push I would have to go with Anderson, Woakes and Bopara. Broad to rotate with Woakes I like Jordan's pace I don't think he is ready like you say its the inconsistency that lets him down. Maybe a few group games for him but leave him out when we face strong opposition. Gurney has not done as well as I thought he would I like the idea of a left arm bowler but I would have to leave him out.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Anderson
Broad
Woakes
Tredwell (Or Finn if there's absolutely no spin in it)

Ali
Bopara

Expect that to be our bowling attack probably.

bigred

Club Captain
Anderson
Broad
Woakes
Tredwell (Or Finn if there's absolutely no spin in it)

Ali
Bopara

Expect that to be our bowling attack probably.

Think those 6/7 are certainties now.

D

Deleted member 149013

I can imagine the office of the chairman of selectors its a big table with trash all over it everyone's hungover from the strip club and slouched on chairs with cigarette smoke filling the air. Then a young assistant comes in Sky sports wants the team is it the one wrote on the back of this fag packet? Yeah replies a half cut old man and get names that rhyme I like that. You know Taylor is playing well should we gave him a chance? Erm if you think its best your hurting my head does he have any painkillers? And you still want Cook in charge? Yes he discovered Australia man don't you have any respect? I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the case.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think, only a board like the ECB would have Cook as captain/part of the ODI squad. He's a complete liability at the top of the order and provides absolutely no momentum for the middle order batters. If anything, because of him, it's always up to the middle order to come in and look to up the ante and at the same time not get out. To average 29 odd, and strike it at 70 for two years is a clear indication that he's not ODI material, let alone be the captain. On the other hand, you have a guy like Alex Hales, who would walk into any international side, purely based on what he's shown on the world stage so far. If he were in another country, he would have been well settled as an opener at the international level by now. Hales is not hype. He needs to be given a proper run, just like Taylor should be.

Also, I just wanted to touch on Ben Stokes. Here's a guy who saved you whatever little face you had left in the biggest series that the English consider and post that, he's been batting at 7/8 and bowling in PP's. He's in and out of the side. It's not the best way to impart confidence to a young cricketer. I'm sure he's no less talented than a Mitch Marsh, but purely on how the boards handle their talent, I'm absolutely sure that Marsh will end up a finished article while Stokes will continue to be in and out.

England, always a country with umpteen talent, but the media and the people who run the sport are hell bent on killing it. Like I said, the very fact that Cook is the first name on the team sheet and Hales isn't on it, proves a LOT isn't right. You can't give one guy two years to prove his worth and another barely a series.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
That is very well said I would have to agree.

Just thought I'd add another important point to this and put an equivalent example to go with it.

I've seen KP play in the IPL and he garners immense support from these parts of the world, but, I feel England were right to drop the curtain on him after hearing both parties. No cricketer is bigger than the team/country and no team bigger than our sport. He grew too big for his shoes and in his own estimation. However, the ECB have gone way too far to show their support to Alastair Cook who I believe is one of England's greatest batsmen ever. I do believe, that his selection in the limited overs format is to further pledge that support. It's not required. He's good enough to be a test opener and leader on performances alone. You can accept his lean trot, considering his achievements. ODI's? No way.

Anyone on this board, would easily say that as a test batsman and as a leader, Graeme Smith was at least as good as Cook. I feel, he's been the best captain in tests for this generation, but CSA realised he had run his course and they were fearless in injecting Q de Kock, even if it meant being harsh. I think, the sub-continent nations and England have an immense amount to learn from SA and AUS on how to and when to pull the plug on legends of the game. It's an art in itself and it requires sensitive management. It's something very alien to us.

SA are clearly short on batting talent, you can see that outside their group of seven brilliant batsmen, they lack depth. England don't. They have a very very talented lot of players, ready to break through. They just need the opportunity.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I think they just went too far with their backing with Cook in the summer and now feel it is compulsory to keep him in given the amount they backed him. It's unfortunate, if we were given a fully in form Cook I would be happy to have him in the team as he is a classy batsman, even if a bit slow.

Morgan I'm hoping will regain/show more of the form he showed in recent gains form for the world cup as he can play some destructive finishing innings.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Sanga's centuries have been so frequent that all he does nowadays for celebration is just a handshake with his partner and raise his bat. Almost bored of celebrating hundreds.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Once the big three (Mahela, Dilshan, Kumar) for Sri Lanka eventually retire I think they will struggle big time. It's always these three scoring the bulk of the runs.

bigred

Club Captain
Reading between the lines from Moores' post match interview, I think Cook may be playing his final ODI for England in Colombo.

Users who are viewing this thread