England Team Discussion

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
imigg.jpg

Not sure I agree with you there blocker. I don't think you can have Root, Taylor & Ballance all in the same ODI eleven and expect to score runs at a decent enough rate.

How sexy is Dave?[DOUBLEPOST=1425925006][/DOUBLEPOST]
If they weren't a team full of overpaid show ponies the ECB should take up that Japan challenge, but unfortunately Broad needs to get home to mummy who's been worried sick about her little boy...

...and Morgan needs to switch his passports ASAP.

I hope he does switch his passport. We might be able to beat Ireland if he is in their team!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
If the other batters were the likes of Hales, Roy, Buttler etc. I think it'd be fine. Look at Aus: Clarke, Smith and Watson aren't necessarily power hitters like Warner, Finch Maxwell - it's about striking a balance.

Taylor, Ballance and Root can all go big if they have to...

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Root is good because he can accelerate: I'd argue that batting at a run a ball in the top 4 isn't "slow" by any means: that's on track for 300 if everyone does it even without your sloggers. IMO England's biggest concern is bowling: Anderson/Broad seem totally threatless and I can't think of anyone else that they have coming through. Jordan is good and should have played earlier in the competition, but other than that

How sexy is Dave?

tempted to ban you just for asking this question

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think people are over-reacting. I turned on the Verdict to find Carberry saying that he should have been playing and Dominic Cork moaning about how bad the team is at the moment. I disagree, I've been watching since the 1999 World Cup and bar the odd series, or decent run, we've never had a good one day side. We've always been an also-ran, so no, it wasn't better in the recent old days.

On the issues of this team, they keep on returning. Bell hasn't done well enough as a senior player, lots of us said that. Anderson has struggled, lots of us said that too. Broad looks poor banging it in half way down, the whole world has been saying this. But, I would say, the management do have a lot of blame. Two main points, James Taylor and Chris Woakes. Taylor plays well at 3, dropped down to 6 for the tournament. Woakes opens the bowling, does well, gets kicked down to 2nd change behind Broad, who has always been better without the new ball in ODI cricket. It's just crazy management.

Oh, and good to see Buttler doing well and getting praise for playing the right way. Who do you think are the best two English produced ODI batsmen of the last 15 years? Trescothick and Buttler? Shame everyone else who performs well on so called flat tracks like Taunton, gets written off without a chance to perform. Perhaps they should have had opportunities after all.....

bigred

Club Captain
I'm very sad and I like statistics(very much like our current coach). So I decided to see whether the bowlers England picked are actually the best out there. I've added together each bowlers list A average and economy rate, to see who is the most effective one day bowler. I know stats aren't everything, but when I get depressed by England performances, this cheers me up a bit.

Toby Roland-Jones 29.5
Matt Coles 30.1
Ben Stokes 30.5
Ajmal Shahzad 32.4
James Anderson 32.8
Steven Finn 33.0
Stephen Parry 33.0
Lewis Gregory 33.3
Chris Jordan 33.6
Reece Topley 33.8
Boyd Rankin 33.9
Stuart Broad 34.3
Adil Rashid 35.1
Jade Dernbach 35.1
James Tredwell 35.7
Samit Patel 36.3
Liam Plunkett 37.4
David Willey 37.7
Harry Gurney 38.6
Tim Bresnan 39.2
Luke Fletcher 39.4
Danny Briggs 40.0
Chris Woakes 40.6
Scott Borthwick 43.8
Stuart Meaker 44.2
Craig Overton 59.0

Important to remember that many of Finn's, Anderson's and Broad's List A overs were bowled in international cricket, but it certainly seems to suggest that Stuart Broad isn't that good. There doesn't seem to be a lot statistically better than Anderson or Finn though. I've seen Roland-Jones a couple of times live. Seems to bowl at lively enough pace and gets bounce. What's putting the selectors off?

Woakes is an interesting one. His red ball stats are a lot better than his white ball stats. Is one day cricket just not for him? I'd personally stick with him as an opening bowler for a bit.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Coles isn't a good limited overs bowler to me (especially if he were put into international cricket) despite being up there and has attitude issues. Mark Wood may be a worthy addition at 32.01.

bigred

Club Captain
Coles has always bowled well when I've seen him on TV. Can smash sixes as well on his day. He did get sent home from a lions tour for excessive drinking though.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
The guy got kicked off the Englands lions tour, left Kent short of his contract and has now left us (Hampshire) short of his contract rumored to return to kent. Something a bit odd happening there.

Coles regularly goes for too many runs in my opinion in limited overs cricket and his batting only comes off a couple of times a season. His stats I believe are also heavily boosted by a single outstanding season.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I just think pick a couple of inexperienced guys and see how they go. Either Briggs or Parry need to come in and have a few games to see if they can nail the spinners spot. The likes of Topley or Willey are deserving of a go too, as they seem to make things happen. The key is not to write someone off just because they don't perform brilliantly every game. The likes of Gregory and Craig Overton have got potential too, but probably too early for them this season.

bigred

Club Captain
You're right. Coles does go for more than a run a ball. His average brings his combined rating down, which suggests he's a wicket taker.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The guy got kicked off the Englands lions tour, left Kent short of his contract and has now left us (Hampshire) short of his contract rumored to return to kent. Something a bit odd happening there.

Coles regularly goes for too many runs in my opinion in limited overs cricket and his batting only comes off a couple of times a season. His stats I believe are also heavily boosted by a single outstanding season.
Ben Stokes got sent home from a Lions tour of New Zealand and then went full Muhammad Ali on a locker last year and yet I'd be very happy to have him back in the side.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Ben Stokes got sent home from a Lions tour of New Zealand and then went full Muhammad Ali on a locker last year and yet I'd be very happy to have him back in the side.

Yeah true, I just seem to think there's a few more issues behind his drinking buddy.

bigred

Club Captain
I really like Topley and would go for him. Is Willey's bowling good enough for international level?

bigred

Club Captain
I didn't include Mark Wood or Jack Brooks in my analysis.

Wood 32.2
Brooks 38.8

That would put Wood in 4th place. He had a very good tour of SA with the lions as well. Perhaps it's time for him to come in.

Users who are viewing this thread