England Team Discussion

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Does anyone know how many we will probably take in the test squad to the West Indies?

I'd imagine it'll be 15, as it's only a 3 match tour. Basically picks itself I would have thought.

Cook
Trott
Ballance
Root
Bell
Ali
Taylor
Buttler
Rashid
Anderson
Broad
Woakes
Jordan
Plunkett
Finn

Bairstow(if they need 2 keepers)

I'd imagine the only vulnerable two there are Rashid and Finn. Rashid as he's uncapped and Finn as he must be low on confidence.

bigred

Club Captain
Interesting hearing David Fulton's thoughts on England's post WC ODI team. He has gone for

1. Hales
2. Ali
3. Roy
4. Root *
5. Vince
6. Buttler
7. Stokes
8. Rashid
9. Willey
10. Woakes
11. Topley

Would certainly be an exciting team with plenty of batting. Think I'd probably be happy with that, although I'm still pro Eoin Morgan so James Vince would probably have to wait a bit.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting hearing David Fulton's thoughts on England's post WC ODI team. He has gone for

1. Hales
2. Ali
3. Roy
4. Root *
5. Vince
6. Buttler
7. Stokes
8. Rashid
9. Willey
10. Woakes
11. Topley

Would certainly be an exciting team with plenty of batting. Think I'd probably be happy with that, although I'm still pro Eoin Morgan so James Vince would probably have to wait a bit.

I think Topley's name is just being thrown around by default because he is a left-armer and there is a sudden belief that you need a left-arm quick in your team. If you have 3 good right arm quicks like S Africa, that still works.

Topley IMO like Gunrey doesn't show anything special as a left-arm quick like Johnson, Starc, Bolt, McClenagan, Irfan & other PAK lefties. We just look at people like Meaker and Rankin instead & of course Jordan. Bowling will continue to be an issue in ENG ODI/T20 teams going forward.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I'd imagine it'll be 15, as it's only a 3 match tour. Basically picks itself I would have thought.

Cook
Trott
Ballance
Root
Bell
Ali
Taylor
Buttler
Rashid
Anderson
Broad
Woakes
Jordan
Plunkett
Finn

Bairstow(if they need 2 keepers)

I'd imagine the only vulnerable two there are Rashid and Finn. Rashid as he's uncapped and Finn as he must be low on confidence.

Basically what I had down. Noticed some news website reported Root may be rested and another that Woakes and Ali are an injury doubt for the final WC game with no knowledge of how extreme. Next batsman (middle order) I presume would be Vince, unless they brought in Lyth as a backup opener as well, however if Trott doesn't tour I assume he'll be in for him (Or Bairstow as a backup keeper as well). If the others were out I presume Stokes would come in and I'm not sure who else really right now.

bigred

Club Captain
I think Topley's name is just being thrown around by default because he is a left-armer and there is a sudden belief that you need a left-arm quick in your team. If you have 3 good right arm quicks like S Africa, that still works.

Topley IMO like Gunrey doesn't show anything special as a left-arm quick like Johnson, Starc, Bolt, McClenagan, Irfan & other PAK lefties. We just look at people like Meaker and Rankin instead & of course Jordan. Bowling will continue to be an issue in ENG ODI/T20 teams going forward.

I've seen Topley quite a few times. He's the only one that makes me think there's world class potential.

I think Meaker is shocking personally, and I'm a surrey fan.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I've seen Topley quite a few times. He's the only one that makes me think there's world class potential.

I think Meaker is shocking personally, and I'm a surrey fan.

Ha @ world-class, not even close man. He has something close to Irfan height, but he is not quick, keeper stands up to the stumps to him too much - that's not the role for a potential new-ball left-arm quick based on modern standard.

Tymal Mills is the leftie in the county game that has those qualities, but injuries and lack of form meant he didn't do much last season. Meaker admittedly blows hot and cold for Surrey since he made his ENG debut, but remains one of the fastest bowlers in CC.

bigred

Club Captain
Well in Meaker and Mills, I think you've chosen two of the worst bowlers in the country. Mills is dreadful.

If you want pace then Mark Wood, Boyd Rankin and Liam Plunkett are your best options.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well in Meaker and Mills, I think you've chosen two of the worst bowlers in the country. Mills is dreadful.

If you want pace then Mark Wood, Boyd Rankin and Liam Plunkett are your best options.

Mills is certainly not dreadful, he impressed many during the england lions matches during the last Ashes tour and injuries meant he didn't build on it by working on his control. Im not saying he should be picked soon or anything, he could very well and not live up to early promise. Simply highlighting he is preferable left-arm quick in CC that could be dangerous at the highest level once he stays fit over a full season.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Did he actually say that? I only watched half of it.

We need to start introducing the likes of Sam Billings to ODI cricket this coming summer, this isn't even my Kent bias taking effect here, just look at his List A stats! :eek:

Carberry was prompted by the rest of them really, but he did mention himself in aggressive players for the top order who could have been playing.

I'm totally agreed on Billings too. With Buttler doing well when he gets a chance, he should be moved up the order, to allow someone like Billings to come in and give it a biff at the end. It did take ages for Buttler to get in the side though, so I'm not too optimistic.[DOUBLEPOST=1426115150][/DOUBLEPOST]And on bowlers, whisper it quietly, but apparently the Somerset coaches are very optimistic about Jamie Overton being back up to pace and re-finding his swing and form over the winter. Should be interesting to see how he goes at the start of the season.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
that's the vicious cycle for you; England shit up good bowlers who then get fixed by their county coaches; but then they end up back in the England system...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
that's the vicious cycle for you; England shit up good bowlers who then get fixed by their county coaches; but then they end up back in the England system...

the [HASHTAG]#SakerEffect[/HASHTAG]

there's a lot of pressure being put on Downton and Moores, but nobody in the media has even mentioned Saker. Look what he did to Finn, look what he did to Overton... our bowlers in the WC were unique in not being able to swing the ball, Moeen Ali was more economical than any of our seamers, and the BANGLADESH seam attack outbowled us in a crunch game. What more does David Saker have to do to be sacked?

bigred

Club Captain
I thought it was unbelievable when Gooch was fired and Saker remained. Get the impression that Saker is big pals with a lot of the players. Gooch had a more hands off approach where he allowed players to decided if they wanted to use him. Widely documented that Pietersen and Strauss didn't use Gooch for any coaching. This stay in the background and not get too friendly approach probably cost him his job.

I hope we can get Jason Gillespie or Tom Moody to take over soon, and bring in some of their own coaches.

bigred

Club Captain
What do people think about Moeen Ali opening in test cricket, to allow Trott to bat at 3 or 4, where he'd probably be more effective? Might also take a bit of pressure off Cook if Ali gets away quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread