Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Thieves

Club Captain
Nice, but a lot of playing across the line? I hardly ever get that! How are they set up for judgment?
I doubt nothing will be fixes and they will come up with a new release
I'm sure the next release would be earliest at November . Ashes 2018. If they plan on selling it they would have to improve on the current state that this game is in. Or else I doubt any of us would invest in it.

Nothing we can do but keep out fingers crossed and hope for the best..

Thieves

Club Captain
There was a game called the Art of Cricket which got as far as being visibly a cricket game that was designed by the community. Something open source or totally moddable would be good. I guess we have that with the sliders. But if the basis for an AI are broken, (like the AI have to smash the last ball of the over no matter what), then we don't really have anything to work with.
I'M Not even sure how accurate the sliders are. I really don't mind some of the bugs. But creating a team and having them looking completely different when playing as well as the amount of swing and turn that bowlers generate is quite ridiculous and unrealistic.

Otherwise I really am enjoying the game.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yup. I imagine it's a difficult one. Let's say there's batsman with very low drive skill.

How should the AI play if the code is avoid shots the player is poor at and I bowl everything full on 5th stump. Same if I'm a player facing that bowling should I have shot choice so constrained?

A very fine line between exploitable and no stats impact.
I think Big Ant could do themselves a lot of favours by just telling people what stats are important for batting, bowling and fielding and which are cosmetic and/or have little to no effect. At the end of the day, whatever the limitations of the game, people just want to make the most of it. Spending ages playing around with shot attributes, only to discover they are seemingly are pointless, is quite frustrating.

To your point in your previous post, the only thing that seemed to impact my ability to play a shot (with the team that was set to 1 skill point for everything) was strength or control because it was very difficult to get the ball out the fielding circle.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think Big Ant could do themselves a lot of favours by just telling people what stats are important for batting, bowling and fielding and which are cosmetic and/or have little to no effect. At the end of the day, whatever the limitations of the game, people just want to make the most of it. Spending ages playing around with shot attributes, only to discover they are seemingly are pointless, is quite frustrating.

To your point in your previous post, the only thing that seemed to impact my ability to play a shot (with the team that was set to 1 skill point for everything) was strength or control because it was very difficult to get the ball out the fielding circle.

yeah, their lack of explanation of basic elements is grating.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Let’s be frank:

After 3 games:

No one knows what pitch type is meant to do what

No one knows what stat does what

The pitch type issue of the pitch conditions being barely distinguishable has been identified over and over again, but nothing has changed. I've said it before, but as dated as Lara/Warne '99 is, it is a model for how you vary a pitch compared to these games. They need to get a copy, endure the now rubbish old graphics and have three 20 over games in each condition and see what we're talking about.

Quick wear on/off? What's that all about? How quick? Is it better for a short game to have the pitch deteriorate (ie having a 50 over game's worth of pitch progression over a shorter 10-20 over game)? Is that what it does? Has anyone noticed a difference? When is it useful to use it? This is another "how long is a piece of string" question the game has been asking us for years.

As for stats, I've often wondered if most of them do much of anything at all? After all most of the creations on the Academy (even with brilliant line-ups and likenesses) don't have stat balancing or even stats at all in some cases, so I could imagine Big Ant having a conversation about how those teams will end up playing in the game and making it look bad. Perhaps stats have minimal effect because of that?

There's only so much that the community can do with 20% of the info required and Big Ant have gradually gone away from community engagement.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think Big Ant could do themselves a lot of favours by just telling people what stats are important for batting, bowling and fielding

Yeah but they aren't going to come out and say "Oh by the way in three iterations half of the attributes academy don't actually do anything. We just made it look deep to sell a few more copies. Ross has just taken a golfing holiday, you've been had!" are they?

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Let’s be frank:

After 3 games:

No one knows what pitch type is meant to do what

I reckon different pitch conditions didn't have any bearing on gameplay since DBC 14.

"has latest patch (360) dumbed down the effectiveness of weather and pitch conditions? Bowling just seems to be a but of a drudgery. The ball doesn't seem to do anything. I used to enjoy turning my arm over as much as batting. Now the bowling aspect of the game is sucking the enjoyment out of it".

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
I'M Not even sure how accurate the sliders are. I really don't mind some of the bugs. But creating a team and having them looking completely different when playing as well as the amount of swing and turn that bowlers generate is quite ridiculous and unrealistic.

Otherwise I really am enjoying the game.
You can turn down the slider for the swing

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
No point giving a control called basic.
How can player play with basic control with less features.
And legend control classic with additional features.
Sounds like a joke.
If it's called easy to control hard to master then they should look at being both the control equal to each other.
Strange game design

Easy, loads of sports games have a basic and advanced control scheme. It means when your friend comes over (if you have any), you can hand them a controller and say. basically just press this button and we'll have a good time. Instead of having to give them 30 minutes to read through the control scheme, then play an hour of practice matches until they get up to speed. It makes perfect sense, it's just labelled poorly. See NBA 2K, FIFA, etc.

My feel is it's general ability, judgment and footwork.

Shot attributes are pointless. A low ability e.g. for drive neither means the AI will drive less nor edge it more when they do. I don't think it materially affects how you can play that shot as a human player either.

Just a thought, but perhaps it's more for human players? If driving ability is high, then maybe you are less likely to get out when driving as a human? Maybe it applies changes to the batting attributes when you play certain shots that the batsman is strong/weak with?

I'm sure the next release would be earliest at November . Ashes 2018. If they plan on selling it they would have to improve on the current state that this game is in. Or else I doubt any of us would invest in it.

Nothing we can do but keep out fingers crossed and hope for the best..

There is no Ashes in 2018, so there will not a be a game called Ashes 2018... There may be a game called BA Cricket 2018 or some such, but there is no Ashes licence to purchase until 2019 which is now 18 months away and the perfect amount of time for BA to work on another iteration and charge us all $99 for a few new mo-caps, face scans and minor upgrades.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah but they aren't going to come out and say "Oh by the way in three iterations half of the attributes academy don't actually do anything. We just made it look deep to sell a few more copies. Ross has just taken a golfing holiday, you've been had!" are they?

I've got enough hours and enjoyment from all three games (even Ashes) that I would sooner know, even if it's a let down in terms of complexity, than be left picking it apart through trial and error or coming across it by chance which is kind of what happened in this game.

It would probably improve the game - or at least mean people are able to create more accurate experiences if they explained all the skills and the impact or lack of impact they have. Each pitch or condition that you an set what intended effect, if any, they have.

The other one that bugs me is the Climate in the stadium creator. An explanation of what impact each has for a stadium in match would be useful. Does it just simply impact the temperature, the likelihood of rain, wind, humidity? I'm guessing temperate is cooler and more rain, tropical is humid with more rain, arid is hot and no rain and then you get to mediterranean and mountainous and I'm less sure. Or does it go as far as impacting pitches - if the options are set to random. Will arid give you dry pitches and temperate give you greener pitches, which is what I'd assume.

Users who are viewing this thread