Australian Domestic Cricket

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Yes ! Alex Carey need to perform well, he played some useless shots in previous matches.
You seem to forget.. selectors in Australia look first to the ability of the keeper for Test cricket. Reason Tim Paine's career was resurrected. Carey broke the Shield wicketkeeping record the year before last. It was this alone that brought him to the notice of selectors. Being able to contribute vital runs is a bonus for a wicketkeeper..

Last edited:

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
You seem to forget.. selectors in Australia look first to the ability of the keeper for Test cricket. Reason Tim Paine's career was resurrected. Carey broke the Shield wicketkeeping record the year before last. It was this alone that brought him to the notice of selectors. Being able to contribute vital runs is a bonus for a wicketkeeper..

Ok..Very good point.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Short was the only who really made a score in the Western Australia innings, it was incredibility big, but he was the only one.

Humongous innings, I think Short likes home condition.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
To be honest I did not think Short had what it takes to score a double ton. He must have an eye like a dead fish.

Big match player! Short need to be consistent and clear about his own game. Voges tips making him more prominent.

Queenslander Mike

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Mike as an Aussie and a PC newbie I would like your views on this.
[/QUOTE]

I both agree and disagree. As developing cricketers we all played limited overs format in our developing years, be it at school or weekend limited games. When you promote and idolize a batsman such as David Warner, who avoids all criticism when he plays rash shots in the test match arena and gets out, due solely to poor technique, youthful players try to be like David, and think this is an acceptable technique. Ageing dinosaurs like ourselves know there are flaws, but the commentators all but wet their pants when Warner manages to put together one of those innings, and let's be honest there is a big element to luck to most of his innings. The youth want to be like David, just like Jack Edwards "moves his back leg deep into his crease and well to the leg side exposing his off stump" is a David Warner shot is it not? Maybe that will change as Smith becomes more popular but walking across stumps is not in any coaching textbook I've read. But Smith doesn't play T20 well and that is where the crowds are even at domestic level.

Secondly I really don't see this generally, this is more a NSW thing. Last year Qld Bulls with a lot of junior players showed good technique with the bat, and ultimately a bunch of kids won the shield. The problem with the Pathways program is kids as young as 12 are supposedly identified and given opportunities. These identified players are based on opinions of individuals who attend local games and are bias, after all your opinion would differ to mine on who exactly shows potential especially at the age of 12. There are many youthful players that become disillusioned because they were continuously overlooked in the junior ranks in favour of NSW players who make up the majority of these programs or players with family contacts, eg the latest U19 side contained seven players from New South Wales, three from Victoria, three from Queensland (one is from NSW, dumped on Qld because Sydney was too far away, and is really poor, one from SA also questionable, so really only one Qlder) and one each from South Australia and Tasmania including Alister Waugh (father Steve) and James Sutherland's son Will. These programs do nothing but damage prospects of youthful players and are extremely biased.

The real problem is that the current crop of players are lazy. During the off season they put their feet up watching their cartoons. In the past the players went to England to develop skills they were dedicated to cricket. Remember Matt Hayden paying his own way to India to learn how to play spin, and he played well in India because of it. He was dedicated. His fitness training was dedicated. He spent hours in the nets with a bowling machine. It was called dedication to a chosen career, and this is where the real problem lies

Last edited:

Queenslander Mike

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia

Calling B.S. on this post Baggers. If that was the case we would have seen Hartley over the incompetent Haddin or Wade. And now Haddin is fielding coach.....how's the fielding going for Australia currently?

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Calling B.S. on this post Baggers. If that was the case we would have seen Hartley over the incompetent Haddin or Wade. And now Haddin is fielding coach.....how's the fielding going for Australia currently?
That was the one time they missed the point. Hartley was clearly the best after the injured Paine. They have since realised their error and resurrected Tims Test career. Still Blues bashing Mike. You never stop mate. Haddins record is pretty good. 4th all time best.

BJ Haddin 270 dismissals from 66 matches.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
The real problem is that the current crop of players are lazy. During the off season they put their feet up watching their cartoons. In the past the players went to England to develop skills they were dedicated to cricket. Remember Matt Hayden paying his own way to India to learn how to play spin, and he played well in India because of it. He was dedicated. His fitness training was dedicated. He spent hours in the nets with a bowling machine. It was called dedication to a chosen career, and this is where the real problem lies
Spot on Mike. Not only the players are lazy but the coaches as well. Or are our young kids being overcoached? CA need to get more pro active and insist up and comers cut their teeth in Premier Cricket for at least three years before being considered for the nationals. Then they should do as you say hone their skills in other conditions by playing League Cricket in the old dart in the off season. Up til a couple of years ago CA sent three NPS boys to England to play with the Hampshire Academy.. I think it was.. I do praise CA for sending our best under 17/18s to play in a sub continental competition for several weeks every year. This will pay off in the years ahead. Over the past few seasons our NPS squad have spent time at the MRF Academy in India. So some good things are being done.
I did say one flaw.. but imho .. a glaring one.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Secondly I really don't see this generally, this is more a NSW thing. Last year Qld Bulls with a lot of junior players showed good technique with the bat, and ultimately a bunch of kids won the shield.
Not sure I totally agree with this Mike. Joe Burns does not have the most solid of techniques. Yet the new gen in Sam Heazlett does. Have Qld coaches gotten better and Blues coaches worse. Have they forgotten the priorities..preparing our boys for the more lucrative T20 format rather than red ball cricket. Ask these kids, and like their older peers they will tell you the pinacle for their careers will be to don the Baggy Green Test cap. I have no doubt about that.
As developing cricketers we all played limited overs format in our developing years, be it at school or weekend limited games.
That is my point. Too much influence of see ball hit ball is driven into the minds of these kids from an early age. Not how to bat time to keep your wicket intact. When I coached junior kids I tried to instill in them to not throw away their wicket with a rash shot when trying to settle into your innings. I was criticised by parents for killing the fun side for their precious Johnny.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
now Haddin is fielding coach.....how's the fielding going for Australia currently?
Yes Mike. Where are his credentials to be fielding coach? If a keeper needs a coach.. yes I would choose Haddin. He was not as useless a keeper as you make out. Has a good record. Has taken some screamers in his time. Australias fielding has not been the same since CA chose to let Mike Young go. That man, despite being a Yank, loved our boys and Australian cricket.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
How impressive is Josh Philippe ..pronounced Phil-eep according to my French friend. I have footage of him taking an attack apart last year in a Shield game with some of the sweetest timed drives against a swinging Dukes ball. Also footage of him compiling a brilliant 88 against the English attack. His problem in the past has been not converting his starts..throwing away his wicket to a rush of blood. Expect him to mature under coach Adam Voges. I admire his exceptional timing and specially his nimble footwork against the spinners . No wonder he is so richly rated..
https://www.cricket.com.au/video/jo...a-warriors-shield-video-highlights/2018-02-17
https://www.cricket.com.au/video/en...8-james-anderson-stuart-broad-waca/2017-11-05

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Could Tremain's omission from Dubai be due to a back spasm he has been suffering?

Carey needs to start using his feet against the spinnners.

Could Callum Ferguson still make our WC squad?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread