Not Working - Windows 10 (1909)

Mark Hawes

School Cricketer
Windows 10 Home (1909)
Intel i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70Ghz
8gb RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070

Install the game (original disk - not a copy)
Screen goes black straight away
Task manager reports not responding

Have install Direct X 9.0c
Put the game in compatibility mode - Windows XP SP3 and run as administrator
Game doesn't load, just a blank screen
I guess it's the graphic card

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please?
Thanks, much appreciated

AshesCricket2019

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
You need to use an Intel or maybe ATI/AMD graphics card (not sure) Intel works for sure. Otherwise try with much older graphics drivers and/or earlier versions of Windows.

I reported this issue to Nvidia & Codemasters, neither of them gave a shit.

It used to work fine for me on Windows 10 with my Nvidia card, maybe around 6-9 months ago, can't remember the exact date then there was a major Windows 10 Update and it stopped after that, the exact same issue you have. Therefore despite what I said above I actually wouldn't bother trying older graphics drivers because it seems unlikely to me that would help if you are still using the same version of Windows 10.

So basically, your options are:
- Find an old PC/Laptop, the game will run just fine on most old hardware or Intel Integrated Graphics chips.
- If you have a Laptop with an Nvidia Graphics Card you will almost certainly have an Intel Integrated Graphics Chip too (dual-graphics), you can set the game to run with the Intel Chip and it will work (that's what I do). I had to make some adjustments to this file called: display.opt to stop the game being laggy though:
image.png

This is the contents of my file that fixed the lag (and the game still looks fine)
Code:
[DisplayOptions]
ScreenWidth = 1920
ScreenHeight = 1080
FullScreen = 1
GraphicsDetailLevel = 0
ShadowDetailLevel = 0
CrowdEnable = 1
PostProcessEnable = 1
SuperSampling = 0
- You could try to install an older/original version of Windows 10 that doesn't contain those updates, then you would need to stop Windows 10 from updating which is tricky and means of course you won't have the latest security updates so I don't really recommend this.
- I don't know if this problem exists on Windows 8/7 etc because they have still been receiving Windows Updates too. Although Windows 7 is reaching EOL (End Of Life) soon, I guess trying an older Windows Operating system is the final option you have but it's a shitty option too to be honest.

Last edited:

AshesCricket2019

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
I've updated my response above :)

So yeah just to reaffirm what I said, it seems Microsoft introduced this problem with a particular Windows 10 Update and I can't remember which one it was. I assume it must be affecting other older games too so I was hoping it would get fixed but it still hasn't been :(

Last edited:

Tasmanian

Banned
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You have to do anything to make it work or does it just work straight out the box??
Straight out of the box, mate ! Actually I switched to windows 10 around 2 months ago. Consequently, I decided to back up all my data and then install windows 10 from its CD after formatting my old data.
Once that was done, I installed the Ashes Cricket 2009 game in the Local Disk E: (for mod reasons) from my dear old CD-DVD ROM, and it worked right away !! No problems at all ! Then I installed the mod and currently enjoying playing the 3rd test ;<)

P.S. If you want to install the game in E:, do change its directory from the Regedit as well, else you won't be able to use BIG EDITOR or @AshesCricket2019 's mod (or any other mod, though there ain't many XD).

Last edited:

Toby

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Same here @TheMac 1763 ! Recently switched to windows 10, reinstalled it in C:, worked smoothly on the first go. But had to reinstall to D: (just for the sake of enjoying the HardCore Batting mod in the game, as the Bat-Bowl switcher wasn't working in C: for the same). Then I changed the game directory using regedit.

And I can enjoy the game now, with the mod, ofcourse (being English, beating the Aussies atleast in the game is still greatly satisfying XD).

@timmy94

Toby

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Windows 10 Home (1909)
Intel i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70Ghz
8gb RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070

Install the game (original disk - not a copy)
Screen goes black straight away
Task manager reports not responding

Have install Direct X 9.0c
Put the game in compatibility mode - Windows XP SP3 and run as administrator
Game doesn't load, just a blank screen
I guess it's the graphic card

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please?
Thanks, much appreciated
Mate, I would consider reinstalling the game.

Btw, in which directory did you install the game to ?

Toby

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
I've updated my response above :)

So yeah just to reaffirm what I said, it seems Microsoft introduced this problem with a particular Windows 10 Update and I can't remember which one it was. I assume it must be affecting other older games too so I was hoping it would get fixed but it still hasn't been :(
Yeah that windows 10 update has been causing a lot of problems in many application functionings, as of what I've heard of in many forums :(

Mark Hawes

School Cricketer
Installed from the original DVD
Installation was left as default - c:\Program Files (x86) / Codemasters …….
I decided to splash out at Christmas and buy myself a new PC
I haven't tried to install Ashes 2009, but will do later, will update this thread

Toby

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Installed from the original DVD
Installation was left as default - c:\Program Files (x86) / Codemasters …….
I decided to splash out at Christmas and buy myself a new PC
I haven't tried to install Ashes 2009, but will do later, will update this thread
Oh, that's great, mate.

By the way, I would recommend you to install the game in any of the hard disks except C:\ when you install it in future. That will help you to avoid any errors or difficulty in installing any mod in future related to 'admistrative privileges' problems..

Mark Hawes

School Cricketer
Thanks for the help Toby
I will try this soon and update the forum
Apologies for the seriously late reply, not having a great time of it at the moment
Thanks again, take care and please stay safe

Users who are viewing this thread