Basic Questions on PS4 & DBC 14.

Narayanan Hariharan

Club Cricketer
Buying my first PS4 this week, obviously DBC14 is in the cards as a must have.

Have some basic questions related to the entire set up as such.

1.) Planning to buy an LED TV specifically for the PS4 - so does the TV size matter to play DBC14 or other high end games? I mean will a TV of say 24" size cause low FPS or stuttering? I now have a Sony Bravia 32" (720p) at home - is it enough for a PS4?

2.) Reg DBC14 specifically - is there a way to update the rosters and real player names in PS4? Can i be install other mods /patches also in a PS4?

francisjery

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Buying my first PS4 this week, obviously DBC14 is in the cards as a must have.

Have some basic questions related to the entire set up as such.

1.) Planning to buy an LED TV specifically for the PS4 - so does the TV size matter to play DBC14 or other high end games? I mean will a TV of say 24" size cause low FPS or stuttering? I now have a Sony Bravia 32" (720p) at home - is it enough for a PS4?

2.) Reg DBC14 specifically - is there a way to update the rosters and real player names in PS4? Can i be install other mods /patches also in a PS4?
1) TV doesn't really matter as long. My suggestion would be to go for a 32 inch. I hope you know that ps4 doesnt have normal AV cable. It only works with HDMI.

2) Once you started the game go to academy and do Replace All Teams. This will give correct squads for all teams. If you connect to internet with your own account, patches will get downloaded automatically

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's stupid to buy DBC14 on ps4. With the hack on PC a case could be made that 14 beats 17 (though I wouldn't agree personally).

On console, with no mods or hack, DBC17 is by far superior. Buy 17 not 14.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This is interesting - by far what I have read online and am in the impression - DBC14 is better than DBC17. Hmm now I am confused :)

in DBC14 console, there are: 0 edges when playing to AI; no mods for kits or bats; an inferior AI; worse graphics (albeit a much better colour palette, which is why DBC17 doesn't always look better); a handful of stadiums; the same lineup for 20 years in career mode.

In DBC17 console all of those are better: the AI edges the ball and the edges are varied; there are a wide range of kits and bats available and a more active community continuing to update players, rosters and kits/bats; the AI is better; the graphics are better (but the colour palette is too bright and matte and generally poor, except when using retro filter); there are community made stadiums that look great and add huge variety; there are dynamic lineups in career. (when people complain about strange dynamic lineups missing star players, the problem is not the game it is them - they have downloaded bad teams with incorrectly-linked players. if only they had read and paid attention to my signature!)

DBC14 on console has effectively one advantage over DBC17: there are no stats bugs. this is important - the incorrect stats are a huge issue in dbc17 especially in career. but it's not enough reason to choose 14 over it, pretending everything else is better when it's palpably inferior.

Nobody can pretend DBC17 is the perfect game, it isn't. But let me put it this way: by this stage I had stopped playing DBC14 (on xbox or PC), and only went back to it on PC when franco released his fearsome tweak hack. I am still playing and enjoying DBC17 on PS4. In DBC14 up until franco's hack i hardly completed any matches or tournaments: i'd always end up getting frustrated at the lack of edges and the way that pushed you into unrealistic fields and bowling plans. In DBC17 as well as odd casual matches I have already completed multiple long tours with test and odi series - all on console with the standard game and no mods beyond the logos for kits and bats.

DBC14 was a good game, but it was saved (IMO) only on PC by franco's hack - it had a very limited shelf life on console without the hack. DBC17 has flaws but is a significantly better game.

Buying DBC14 on console now would be ridiculous. Don't let hyperbolic idiots push you into that path.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Also, most people shit on DBC17 for 3 reasons: 1) it really wasn't in a good enough state at release and most of the errors were of the glaring "how did this get past QA" type (like not being able to play basic shots like a cover drive); 2) DBC14 was - after the multiple patches - a promising game and people expected (and in fairness, were promised) a great leap forward, whereas for whatever reason BA basically threw a lot of DBC14 away and rebuilt from scratch, so instead of a second iteration we really got another first iteration with some familiar mistakes. the sense of disappointed expectations naturally exaggerated people's response; 3) BA's communication and community management hasn't been very good in respect of DBC17, and that has alienated some people and polarised opinions further.

But seriously, buy DBC17 and not 14. You'll thank me.

Users who are viewing this thread