Your Cricket Forward Press

PabloM

School Cricketer
I have a question for all batsmen/coaches here regarding the pros and cons of a forward press trigger movement. I am an opening batsman and have played league cricket in England since 2001, and as you know, the wickets here tend to be slow and seam/swing-friendly. I am fairly tall (6'2), with an upright stance and before this winter, I did not use any preliminary feet movements since keeping still helped me to focus on the ball better. However, Iooking at my dismissal patterns - lbw playing around my front pad or chipping a catch to the ring - I thought I had developed a habit of going across the crease with my head falling over and outside the line of the ball. So I started experimenting with a very small and early forward press to get my weight and head going down the wicket during the winter nets. I think this has led to some improvements, but has one major downside as well. I am hitting the ball straighter (to mid on, for example, off balls pitching middle and leg or leg stump) but I have also yorked myself to full balls that may have otherwise half-volleys. Obviously, I need much more volume to my practice but season is now only two more weeks away. Should I persist with the forward press, in your opinion, or should I revert to keeping still and using my hand-triggers only?

Users who are viewing this thread