Cricket 19 General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Maybe there is a certain field size/shape to get the AI to give ring catches in a test match? Anyone got any thoughts? I literally haven't seen one at all in the whole of C19...
My problem with the AI fielding is they sit too deep. On the edge of the circle. I think this contributes to the ease at which singles can be scored, especially off mistimed shots because they lose power but still go in the same direction. I'd like to see greater variety, either by improving the collision physics of bat on ball or just having a RNG mechanic that gives you more varied mis-hits. The same seems to apply to the AI although they tend to either hit cleanly, play and miss, leave and defend. When they do miss hit it seems to fall safe or go into a gap.

When bowling to the AI I can only really remember catches at short mid wicket and in the early days at square leg.

Sahil70

Club Captain
First time I get this in any format of the game. D. Pretorius with strained adductor

View attachment 230994[DOUBLEPOST=1585933274][/DOUBLEPOST]Lately I get a lot of fielding mistakes or slow running fielders. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Fielding is just terrible fullstop. When bowling get a lot of fielders just throwing wildly to anywhere. AI also giving away a lot of overthrows to the boundary. Somehow it feels player fielders are slower in chasing after the ball in the outfield then AI. AI fielders tend to get to the ball much quicker from anywhere. And of course the worst one for me where bowler/keeper do their running away from the stumps and flicking back routine. Lost count of how many certain runout opportunities and over throws happened cause of this

mannu

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am using the PS4 controller in the Steam version, is it possible to change the button overlays to match the ps4 style?

falehan072

Club Cricketer
I've noticed something strange in AI vs AI, and I don't know if it applies for bowling as well. Randomly one of the AI batsmen started edging everything, and I mean every single shot, for about 20 deliveries until he was finally caught behind, and he wasn't a tailender either. I've had this a couple of times now. Anyone else notice it?
Yes yes yes.. in my case I cannot play cut or backfoot drive. I just edge them. Sad.

gunit123

County Cricketer
Bought the game recently and tried scenario mode for the first time. I was playing the 05' Ashes test (batting as Aus), and after Flintoff bowled the first over, Ian Bell immediately came on - a total immersion breaker!:facepalm How has this bug not been fixed since the game was released a year ago, and seeing as scenario mode was the shiny flagship feature for this edition?

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Bought the game recently and tried scenario mode for the first time. I was playing the 05' Ashes test (batting as Aus), and after Flintoff bowled the first over, Ian Bell immediately came on - a total immersion breaker!:facepalm How has this bug not been fixed since the game was released a year ago, and seeing as scenario mode was the shiny flagship feature for this edition?

I can’t believe that’s never been fixed!! Really piss poor that

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
No outfield catches or ring catches or anything near that in the first two days of NZ v Somerset, although the rest of the gameplay was pretty satisfying.

I'm going to experiment playing a test on a small oval and see if anything comes the fielders' way.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No outfield catches or ring catches or anything near that in the first two days of NZ v Somerset, although the rest of the gameplay was pretty satisfying.

I'm going to experiment playing a test on a small oval and see if anything comes the fielders' way.

i don’t think you’ll get anything except pulls off bouncers you backward square or mid wicket. I’ve never been even close to anything else

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
i don’t think you’ll get anything except pulls off bouncers you backward square or mid wicket. I’ve never been even close to anything else

I think it's time to go to One Day Only.. What a shame... I'm amazed most people don't think it's totally game breaking.

As Mitchell Santner rips one through the gate of James Hildreth as he plays for too much spin (it's a green pitch), and knocks his off stump back, it is amazing the things that are in the game and the things that aren't in the game.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I think it's time to go to One Day Only.. What a shame... I'm amazed most people don't think it's totally game breaking.

It doesn’t break the game. It’s just a glaring irritating omission.

But I have also had plenty of fantastic games and not really thought about it.

however like it said before they do it on no balls and free hits. So something in the code stops it.

Multiple stupid run outs is game breaking.

Reactions: DAP

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
It doesn’t break the game. It’s just a glaring irritating omission.

But I have also had plenty of fantastic games and not really thought about it.

Multiple stupid run outs is game breaking.

Yeah, it's weird the stupid run outs (which appear less at the moment), I can kind of put down to careless cricket or save scum to the previous over.

But it never, even being possible to have an infield catch in a test match ever, yeah, can't pick the game up knowing that. (I assume ODI's are still fine).

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Yeah, it's weird the stupid run outs (which appear less at the moment), I can kind of put down to careless cricket or save scum to the previous over.

But it never, even being possible to have an infield catch in a test match ever, yeah, can't pick the game up knowing that. (I assume ODI's are still fine).

never been in ODI either really

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

As Mitchell Santner rips one through the gate of James Hildreth as he plays for too much spin (it's a green pitch), and knocks his off stump back, it is amazing the things that are in the game and the things that aren't in the game.

mite not game breaking IMO though it’s intensely frustrating. Arguably I find the lack of using feet to spinners a much bigger issue.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
never been in ODI either really

I've seen the odd infield and outfield catch in ODIs. Not enough, but the odd one. Can play the game knowing there is a point to placing those fielders.

bevanthegoat

School Cricketer
Been playing with the some of the sliders to come to some sort of consensus in my mind about what each one does and what a reasonable value is. Probably the sort of thing that has been repeated in here a dozen times but hey if it helps some else I'm glad. Here's just a summary of a few that confused me.

Base Difficulty - changes the speed of AI bowlers. Threw it on rookie and crumbled as I was playing everything early now. Might also affect how well the AI fields? Probably plenty of other things too. Probably worth leaving it on something constant and tweaking the sliders we know more about.

Bowl Quality - Anecdotally it appeared to lower the amount of leg side bowling (which is just a gimme as every hook/pull is glued to the ground and in no danger of being caught). Had a few innings in test where I would race to a faster then a run a ball 50, if a rh pace bowler decided to bowl round the wicket. This seems to happen less often now. Tracked my batting SR over this time and it dropped as this got raised but was also fiddling a number of other sliders so cant say it was the sole reason.

Early/Late Shot Timing Window - This confused me to know ends as it appears to do the opposite of what it says in the description. Increasing this value will decrease the window for getting the Red Early/Late Timing Feedback and increase the window for getting the Dark Green Good Timing Feedback thus making it easier to bat. I like to tweak this one to make it harder when ive just come in or when im in the night session of a day/night test.

Pace Bowling Bouncer Length - Adjusts where the ball is placed when you select the 'short' delivery option.

Spin Bowling bounce/flight - Adjust the arc and speed of the delivery when flight/bounce modifiers. These two seem to essentially be the inverse of each other i.e. setting bounce to 100 and flight to 0 will make the spinners bowl 100+ km/h darts when using bounce or flight. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND bumping these up a bit as it makes facing spin bowling much more interesting. I have them at 60 and 60 and now spin bowlers will bowl 70 km/h flighters to try catch the edge and 85+ km/h quicker balls to catch you sleeping. also worth playing around with depending on format i.e t20 where spinners will bowl darts but not flighted ones maybe flight at 55 and bounce at 65 for this. Again makes facing spin way more interesting then just every ball being exactly the same. An alternate way without upping the spin revolutions to make spinners more dangerous. i.e. i might go a bit higher at Gabba/Optus where they arent big turners but Lyon/spinners have been very successful there.

Pitch Bounce - both the pitch modifiers don't have any effect if changed in game sadly so have to be set at start of game. to test these you can go into ground training -> bowler set-up where u can refresh the pitch/scenario each time and then the settings take affect. Pitch bounce appears to work as on the label just needs to be set before the game and left.

Pitch Friction - Even when going into ground training and refreshing the pitch each time couldn't get this to work in any obvious way. would suggest just tweaking the spin bowling revolution which you can do in game if you want spinners coming into play later in the test.

Ball bounce - this doesnt appear to affect bowling at all. Likely its the ball in the field. When i blocked them out would see the ball really bounce bounce bounce out to cover with this set high. I think you can change this in-game but might be the same as pitch. Really jsut worth leaving on default as you'd hardly notice it.

Ball Friction - No idea. I suspect from the two similar sliders above it A) probably has little effect and B) probably something to do with the ball interacting with field (slower rolling through infield/outfield?)

All other sliders seem to be what they say on the tin.

Also to adjust my batting sliders to a more realistic number I have been comparing with the actual dismissals last 5 years in test and ODI. I'll attach these numbers in case anyone finds them useful. First number is quantity second is percent. What this points to is lifting up the miss sliders and lowering the edges as my bowled and LBW numbers where low whereas my wk catches were high, still testing this. SO much more satisfying to see the stumps cartwheeling a bit more now or even getting into it with the umpire when you think hes bungled an LBW! Also anecdotally seeing some play and misses which is nice and realistic.

ODI Dismissal Type 2015-2019 %
Bowled 1015 16.86
LBW 588 9.77
WK Caught 935 15.53
Fldr Caught 2916 48.45
Stumped 149 2.48
Run Outs 410 6.81
Others 6 0.10

Test Dismissal Type 2015-2019 %
Bowled 1247 17.13
LBW 1208 16.60
WK Caught 1439 19.77