Cricket 2005 Review (PCCD)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
General
Well as we all know Cricket 2005 is the latest EA Sports cricket sim, and is the first that makes use of the engine used in games like FIFA and NBA. And to be honest that is probably the only major development in this game, and I wouldnt blame you if for a while you thought you were playing Cricket 2004.
The PC Version consists of 2 CDs, which is a first in cricket games. Just like its previous version, it too does not require a very high performance computer, and a decent 3D graphics card will do. Infact I have heard that the game also supports Integrated chipsets unlike its previous version.

Okay, so then, you start by first making your profile, under which all changes and modifications made in this game will be saved. The main screen and the basic layout of the menu is very similar to your FIFA and NBA games, with options like "MY CRICKET" and "EA SPORTS TRAX". Also I must say EA have selected some decent music for this game.

You have a "CREATE A PLAYER" option, which is far more detailed and comprehensive compared to the one we had in Cricket 2004. However it was pretty weird to see that you cant change the height and weight of the players. So all the players in the game are of the same height and same weight. Not sure from where EA pulled that one out.

You can now select your AA in the DISPLAY SETTINGS and choose between 0,2x, and 4x.

SQUAD MANAGEMENT now includes apart from editing squads, the option to select custom numbers for the players that displays on the back during limited overs cricket (and in case of English county cricket as well). You cannot edit the default batting/starting lineups of the teams however.

Everything else is pretty much the same. In the GAME MODES however you do now have the Twenty20 cup in the English season.

After you select a particular game mode and head towards the start of the game, you go through the same stuff you have seen in the previous version. This includes selecting teams, stadium, conditions, pitch, night/day, and type of match and number of overs. However in case of random conditions and pitch (where you cannot choose the conditions and the nature of the wicket), the good thing is that you get to select your starting lineup after having a look at the conditions.

The game starts in similar fashion to Cricket 2004, however there is no "pitch report" by Jim Maxwell nor a upclose look at the pitch. The players who look awesome (especially the ones from England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand) as they walk on the field.

In-match options are same as that of Cricket 2004. You can Save the game after every over, see detailed stats like wagon wheel, partnerships, etc and change your bowler as well as your batting lineup. However in the custom replay mode I could not select/change camera angles and there is nothing mentioned about it in the manual.

Gameplay
Some major developments here. We shall start with batting.

Batting is pretty much similar to the previous game, but now positioning of your player is important, as you dont know where the ball will pitch until the bowler starts running, and you cannot move your player then. Shot selection is important as you can miss the line or pick up an edge as well.
6nqpvo.jpg

You play down the wrong line, and this is what happens. This according to me a good development in this game. Also the strokes look a whole lot more realistic.
While running you can now dive for the crease to prevent a run out.

Fielding:
No major changes. Thought I must say everytime the fielder gets hold of the ball, a rather loud sound of the same is heard. The players through the ball at both ends, and the wicket keeper does throw the ball back at the striker's end in the situation where in the ball is in front of the wicket. (Those who have played Cricket 2004 will know what I mean). However there are too many direct hits for my liking, and from all over the ground. But overall the gameplay in terms of fielding looks very good.

Bowling:
Now this will take you some time get used to. It has been changed considerably from the previous versions. You now select the type of delivery from the options available on screen. If you continue bowling well, then the number of options increase, and special and skilled bowlers are often blessed with special deliveries like the yorker or the doosra. Then you select where you want the ball to pitch. After this is done and the bowler starts running, you got to control the speed as well as the swing/seam/spin on the ball. This is really awesome as you can actually the see the ball swinging in or out (and the same can be said about spin). A good outswinging delivery has a good chance of inducing an outside edge. I am really impressed with the bowling in this game.

Graphics
Mind blowing graphics and no surprises really considering the fact that they have used the 3D engine of games like the FIFA series. Very realistic looking faces which are well supported by real-like animations (lip movements, hand and leg movements are superb). The players celebrate after a wicket, put their hands behind their head after a close chance or close shout. The captain often speaks to his bowler and every time a boundary is scored, we get a nice close up of the captain or the bowler. Very very good graphics.

6nqs7n.jpg

The only drawback here is apart from the players of England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, most of the players of the other teams have generic faces, and have no resemblance to their actual faces what so ever. Inzamam-ul-Haq for example is a rather thin young lad, with no beard. Also the fact that all the players have the same built and height, it can get annoying at times.

The stadium graphics are almost the same, however I must agree that the animated crowd looks a lot better than what we had seen in Cricket 2004.

Audio/Sound
Commentary is virtually unchanged. No detailed pitch report by Jim Maxwell, so this is a big let down in this game. Even the sounds of the ball touching the bat and fielders getting hold of the ball is a bit too loud for my liking.

AI
The AI is also almost the same, but with the improved gameplay the AI isnt that much a problem. But I think its not long before we will be able to get the CPU put for scores of less than 10. So AI patch-makers should starting working on improving AI, right away. In Batting the CPU does punish the bad balls, and in bowling they will make it difficult for you to play the shots. But this is more due to the fact that you cant see the cursor in the beginning.

Overall
Yeah its a decent game, at the end. Some big developments from the previous version, but as usual there are bugs . One major bug for example is that created players are lost once you restart the game. I am not sure about this, but I have experienced this twice now. Other bugs include players who are bowling over the wicket, walking back to their run up from round the wicket. And left handed batsmen being shown as right handed in the close ups in between deliveries. The mid-over run rates are still incorrect.

Out of 10
Gameplay - 6/10
Graphics - 8/10
Sound/Audio - 1/10
AI - 4/10
Misc - 5/10
Overall - 5/10

My Review is based on HARD mode only.

willv88

Club Cricketer
can u please tell me what englans test team is. also r u sure there is no way to change the default teams. i think it would be pretty stupid of ea if they have left that out. so u mean to tell me if pietersen is now picked to play tests u can not play him on the game in the tests.

hammudy

Club Cricketer
ur blowling review didnt say anything about manual appeal...

hammudy

Club Cricketer
m_vaughan said:
Manual Appeal....nothing mentioned in the manual about this.

did u try discovering it ;) coz andrew wilson had said that manual appeal is in there :rolleyes:

Eddie

International Cricketer
One major bug for example is that created players are lost once you restart the game.

thats not correct, every who says tyhis has NOT read the manual.

1. once you have created a new player, you have effectively changed the "roster".

2. You have to save the roster (just like your profile settings) then load it when u play.

Hero

Club Captain
Good review and overall this game will be more enjoyable than previous one I suppose.

toonraider

School Cricketer
good review good luck 2 all the patchmakers
done great job on 04 sure 05 will b same

GattbWarne4

School Cricketer
Excellent review; thanks for that. Spot-on, agree with everything you say, though I'd probably give it 6-7 out of ten.

chillypilly

School Cricketer
-----(The PC Version consists of 2 CDs, which is a first in cricket games. Just like its previous version, it too does not require a very high performance computer, and a decent 3D graphics card will do. Infact I have heard that the game also supports Integrated chipsets unlike its previous version.)-----

hey Man i think game requirement is very high , and about vga cards, i have 8 and 16 mb and 32 mb cards..they are not working with this game,( texture missing apears)..and i have p4 n p3... so u must say that vga card should be atleast 64MB and max 128 mb 3d.... ok? right... any way very nice/genuine review ive seen till date( release of ea cri)

ravigoteti

Club Cricketer
thanks for the review mate! Haven't got cric05 yet but may be this year end when my mom goes to india. The graphics are attractive, and that would be one reason why i would play.

Users who are viewing this thread