15th Match, Group F: Australia v India at Bridgetown

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
For discussion about the match between Australia and India at Bridgetown.

Preview below.

The two heavyweights of Cricket clash of in their first T20I match in over two years. In the last meeting Australia won comfortably, rolling India for 74 and chasing that in 11 overs. However, both sides have changed their lineup since that meeting, 6 Indians remain from that match while only 3 Aussies are in the Caribbean.

India head into this match on the back of their recently completed IPL and convincing wins over Afghanistan and South Africa. Batting is India’s biggest strength and they showed this in their last match against South Africa where they smashed their bowlers for 186. Raina continued his IPL form with a blistering 101 from 60 balls, the third T20I hundred. The bowling unit doesn’t have the fear factor that Australia and South Africa get through their express pacemen but the spinners have proved to be more than effective. Australia showed their spin weakness is still around and India will be looking to exploit that.​

Australia also head into the match with two convincing wins against Pakistan and Bangladesh. Bangladesh provided more of a fight than Pakistan but lacked the finishing touches to pull of another upset against Australia. On paper the Australian batting lineup is a fearsome sight but an alarming pattern is starting to occur when the openers get out. In both matches the middle order has collapsed for not many. The first time against Pakistan had little effect on the match thanks to Watson and David Hussey, however the second collapse would have sent shockwaves through Pakistan as Australia were reduced to 6/65 before the steady touch of Hussey and the young gun Steven Smith, rescued the fast sinking ship.

The bowling has been a strength for Australia, in particular the pace trio of Johnson, Nannes and Tait which has grabbed journalist and fans attention across the globe. It was more than likely the big reason why Australia were considered favourites ahead of India to take out the tournament. Tait has proved very difficult to get away, Johnson likewise in his only match before succumbing to injury against Bangladesh. Nannes was expensive in his first match but took wickets and he rectified the expensive part against Bangladesh on his way to his best T20I figures of 4-18. The spin is not the strength of the bowling attack but David Hussey has proved more than useful and Smith’s leggies have nabbed 3 wickets.

The match shapes up as another cracker between these two cricket giants. The Barbados pitch should play into Australia’s favour with the 3 man pace attack. How the Indian batsmen play the Aussie trio, will go a long way to deciding the match.

Key Players

For Australia: Pre tournament the pace trio and opening batsmen were the big talking points and they will head Australia charge for victory.

For India: Raina, Yuvrag and Harbhajan are the key players Australia will need to watch out for. Raina is the in form Indian batsmen, while Yuvrag and Harbhajan have caused the Aussies a few problems in the past.

Key Matchups

Gambhir, Vijay, Raina vs Tait, Nannes, Johnson: Aggression vs Pace, the winner of this battle will give their team first points.

India spinners vs Aussie batsmen: Bangladesh once again exposed Australia’s spin weakness, captain Clarke caught of the bowling of part timer Ashraful, White clean bowled by Shakib and the spinners taking 4 out of the 6 wickets. India have a similarly good spin attack and Australia will need to find a way to get them a way to post a competitive total.

More...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Huge Huge game. The side that wins this match will feel very confident about their semifinal prospects. Both are tournament heavyweights and both are contenders for the title.

Will Dhoni persist with the three spinner attack, or will Vinay make his debut? I think Vinay should make his debut. Zaheer back for Chawla, and Gambhir back for Karthik (although I wish Gambhir was back for Yusuf).

P

pcfan123

Hmm, if I am correct, the last time these two teams met in WCT20 was in South Africa where Harbhjan and co pulled off a win.

Since then Id say the Indian side is notably weaker in the bowling department, Sreesanth was bowling decently back then, now there is no decent seamer, even Khan will be no match for the depth of the Aussie batting line up. Harbhajan is no longer the same attacking bowler as well.

This Australian outfit on the other hand looks much stronger, improved in all departments. Barring Michael Clarke, everyone else is capable of producing the match winning innings.

Australia to win by a small margin (10-20 runs or 3-5 wickets)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hmm, if I am correct, the last time these two teams met in WCT20 was in South Africa where Harbhjan and co pulled off a win.

Yep, Sky Sports NZ were showing that match before SA v Afghans yesterday. Yuvraj fired in that match, Australia were in a good position then the wickets fell and they ended up losing by about 20.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
We should play Mike Hussey. He loves playing against India and will protect us if we have another collapse against Harbhajan :facepalm

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Does anyone know how to get fullscreen in the espnstar online stream when it is live? As there is no option to do it directly, I suppose you would have to find the URL of the stream and open it in Real Player/VLC/whatever, but I don't know how to do that.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Clarke should experiment with short-3rd-man. Knowing that it's a bouncy pitch and Indian batsmen (especially Gambhir & Raina) like to guide the ball to 3rd-man against short pitched deliveries. Might as well get rid of mid-on.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Whoever wins this, it is bound to be a close one. :yes

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My guess - Australia! Would be happy if India comes really close enough. That would keep the confidence going for the rest of the games. But we are capable of winning too.

pavanbharadwaj

Club Captain
Its been a long time since Yuvraj played his usual innings and blasted through the opposition.I am sure he will repeat his 2007 semifinal performance here and India are going to win this.

Mihir Doshi

Club Captain
Looking at Aussie's bowling.. I would favour India but remember South African bowling attack was also good and India thrashed them(says cricinfo :p) so I it's going to be an even contest.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I'm expecting a fight from both these teams.

Both have some new faces with some strengths and weaknesses. Thing that will matter is how well they defend their weak points and exploit their opponent's.

India is bound to face some chin music but the key will be how Dhoni uses his spinners. None of Indians spinners is in HOT form but none is doing poorly either. If they can pull their socks today, we might well know who is gonna win this T20 championship. ;)

Australia on other hand have been lucky with poor fielding performances both by Bangladesh and Pakistan. India also is little unpredictable in fielding department but on their day some Indian fielders can really turn the game on its head.

Overall, this is not just a test of India but also of Australia. I'm really looking forward to this crucial match which can really get the tempo of this otherwise dull WC.

Users who are viewing this thread