16 Feb - Canada vs England - Warmup

angryangy

ICC Chairman
9 down and England are bowling Yardy and Tredwell. Not exactly worried about defeat as you can see.

----------

Broad solves that issue.

Last edited:

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's more than what I expected from Canada, once the scoreline was 28/5 and all main players were gone and then came Cheema and Chohan. Great stuff from Canada there.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rizwan Cheema is quite known as a hard hitter. Smacked some huge fast innings against West Indies before iirc.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Not looking good for England, I know "it's only a warmup", but that is a lame excuse for a shoddy performance from a mediocre ODI team.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Especially when you consider how easily Bangladesh beat Canada.

Sureshot

Executive member
It's England in a warm-up, what do you expect?

Interesting to see Prior down the order and playing well (albeit against weak opposition), I have a sneaky suspicion they might stick with that.

Owzat

International Coach
Not looking good for England, I know "it's only a warmup", but that is a lame excuse for a shoddy performance from a mediocre ODI team.

I know someone like Sureshot will say something, but is it any coincidence that Canada made their revival while the nothing bowlers were being muddled through?!?!?!? It perhaps just goes to prove that Wright, Yardy, Tredwell and Collingwood are not a bowling line up that will strike fear into ANY team.

Wright 4-0-25-0 : no shock there, I can only guess he bowls to give Strauss options when it comes to completing allocations

Yardy 10-0-40-1 : some might think that's "good, tidy bowling", I say it is something of nothing that releases pressure

Tredwell 8-0-36-1 : as per Yardy, might be at best ok against a top side, but at 28/5 after 7.2 overs you want better figures

Collingwood 8-2-41-1 : another "tidy" bit of bowling, but releasing pressure as that is only remotely good against a better team than Canada

How can our captain seriously give that lot THIRTY OVERS when Canada were 28/5 and in all kinds of trouble? Credit to the Canucks or blame and shame on the captain? It's hard to keep patting the batsmen on the back when it becomes all too f in predictable. 30-2-142-3 from the weak links at a time when Canada were looking like they might not even make 50! Seriously gonna win nothing with the captain in cahoots with that rubbish bowling.

Annoys the hell out of me that someone like Yardy completed his overs, Wright bowled full-stop (that he played is criminal) and yet the two that did all the damage were let down and didn't even complete their overs. Strauss, as usual, making sure the opposition have every chance of facing 50 overs when England are poised and if they struck then the opposition would be lucky to make over 40. Of course with the bowling attack England have there is noone to keep up the pressure, unless you subscribe to the theory that "economic" = pressure, when it doesn't really. Wickets = pressure in all formats of the game

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
While I absolutely agree with your points Owzat, it is important to remember this was a warm-up, and Strauss had to give them 30 overs to test the depth of his bowling attack. After 28/5, it was unlikely that Canada would win. Perfect opportunity to see how the likes of Yardy, Tredwell, Wright and Colly would fare in SC conditions.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This match just showed what will happen to England when they face Africans and Indians.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
:facepalm

Don't forget it can reverse as India-England match is in Bengaluru which offers fast and bouncy pitch. I still can't forget the T20 WC match in 2009 where Indians were found with short ball problems.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
This match just showed what will happen to England when they face Africans and Indians.

Hard to conclude that as England weren't using their best bowling attack. If Staruss treated it like a proper-match and not as a warm-up to test his part-timers, Canada would've been all-out a lot quicker.

Batting is a concern though.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
:facepalm

Don't forget it can reverse as India-England match is in Bengaluru which offers fast and bouncy pitch. I still can't forget the T20 WC match in 2009 where Indians were found with short ball problems.

T20 and 50 over games have hell lot of difference. India in India are monsters and they needed a match like India VS NewZealand Warm Up.

We still were in South African mode, low runs and great defense that is poor batting and good bowling.

Now time to reverse that as we are in India. Great Batting and Poor Bowling :p

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I seriously don't think England took this game seriously . We are not the kinda team who allows the a weak opposition like Canada to post 227 after initially gunning them down to 5/36 . Moreover , the likes of Jimmy and Swann din even take part so this match's result is quite pleasing to me IMO .

Sureshot

Executive member
I know someone like Sureshot will say something, but is it any coincidence that Canada made their revival while the nothing bowlers were being muddled through?!?!?!? It perhaps just goes to prove that Wright, Yardy, Tredwell and Collingwood are not a bowling line up that will strike fear into ANY team.

Wright 4-0-25-0 : no shock there, I can only guess he bowls to give Strauss options when it comes to completing allocations

Yardy 10-0-40-1 : some might think that's "good, tidy bowling", I say it is something of nothing that releases pressure

Tredwell 8-0-36-1 : as per Yardy, might be at best ok against a top side, but at 28/5 after 7.2 overs you want better figures

Collingwood 8-2-41-1 : another "tidy" bit of bowling, but releasing pressure as that is only remotely good against a better team than Canada

How can our captain seriously give that lot THIRTY OVERS when Canada were 28/5 and in all kinds of trouble? Credit to the Canucks or blame and shame on the captain? It's hard to keep patting the batsmen on the back when it becomes all too f in predictable. 30-2-142-3 from the weak links at a time when Canada were looking like they might not even make 50! Seriously gonna win nothing with the captain in cahoots with that rubbish bowling.

Annoys the hell out of me that someone like Yardy completed his overs, Wright bowled full-stop (that he played is criminal) and yet the two that did all the damage were let down and didn't even complete their overs. Strauss, as usual, making sure the opposition have every chance of facing 50 overs when England are poised and if they struck then the opposition would be lucky to make over 40. Of course with the bowling attack England have there is noone to keep up the pressure, unless you subscribe to the theory that "economic" = pressure, when it doesn't really. Wickets = pressure in all formats of the game

I've said before that I don't think those in the middle overs are great options for wicket taking, but do all other teams have 5 constant wicket taking threats? I think you can get away with 1 bowler being a container, like Yardy, particularly if we've got Swann in the side.

I also don't think there are that many other options back home who aren't in the squad, certainly not proven. If you reckon that 3 of the 5 bowlers (Swann, Anderson and Broad) will be constant wicket takers, Bresnan (I'd go with Shahzad, but don't think England will), you don't really know what you'll get and then Yardy, it's decent enough. We lack a Flintoff, but there's no one to replace.

As Papa Smurf said, missing Anderson and Swann. Anyway, it's a warm-up game, it doesn't count as an ODI, so does it actually matter in this context? It's quite obvious England are just getting through these games with all the injuries we've had/got.

Users who are viewing this thread