Story 1992 World Cup relived - World cup tourney

Who will make the semi finals?

• Total voters

crick4life

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
England win the World Cup opener in a close encounter

SGE.EFG41.040404051139.photo00.default-245x218.jpg

England won the first game in a close encounter against India at a day nighter in Perth. India batting first scored a daunting 271 runs off their 50 overs. India would have been disappointed for falling short by 15-20 runs that would have made a difference in the end result.

06srik4.jpg

Srikkanth though edged quite a few balls to start with and looked nervous played wonderfully well after he settled down. Rather than trying to go over the top Srikkanth started to play cricketing shots and that brought good enough runs for him. Ravi Shastri and Mohd. Azharuddin went back fairly quickly but then the little master Sachin Tendulkar struck in with a flamboyant 108 coming of only 104 balls. Sachin Tendulkar and Kris Srikkanth put on 200 runs partnership for the 3rd wicket and England seemed to be on the backfoot. Sachin Tendulkar played some amazing shots on the ground all over the wicket to entertain the Perth crowd.
profile_endorsements_01.jpg

The wily Ian Botham along with Defreitas and D.Reeve worked wonders for England by removing the last 7 Indian wickets for only an addition of 29 runs. The lower middle order and the lower order was a disappointment for India but 271 runs looked good enough on this hard surface in Perth.

England began the chase well although they lost Ian Botham for only 15 runs. Robin Smith and Graeme Hick ensured the middle order worked very well in partnerships. The runs came easily while the Indian bowlers were not so effective on this pitch. Kapil Dev although induced plenty of nicks early on India were unlucky not to have seen the nicks ending up with the fielders.

N.Fairbrother joined Hick and put on an enterprising 95 runs partnership to ensure England did not falter in the run chase. Late in the day the Indian pacer Srinath bowled fast and hostile and got couple of quick wickets.
C.Lewis although looked a bit edgy played some very aggressive shots to get England near the target. England cruising at 264 for 5 suddenly found themselves at 268 for 8 and needing 4 runs to win with only 2 wickets to go. Prabhakar bowled very well in tandem with Srinath and every run looked hard to come. India will rue their field setting in the last couple of overs where couple of edges went through the gully area. Dermot Reeve in the end hit one through extra covers to reach the target in 46.3 overs.

This game was a terrific opener for the World cup 1992 and lot of players came out with laurels. The game was in the end very close and either team could have won it. England bowled well, batted very well and could not have had a better start to the tournament. India on the other hand had couple of setbacks, the lower order not contributing enough and the fifth bowler a major problem. Banerjee a new comer went for 35 runs of 5 wickets without causing any concerns to the England batsmen and Tendulkar had expensive figures of none for 28 off 4 overs of leg spin. Nevertheless it was a good game of cricket where the better team excelled.

Attachments

• Ind.jpg
    Ind.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 134
  • Eng.jpg
    Eng.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Oh damn... Anyways, brilliant start to the World Cup. Would be interested to know how Pakistan perform!

gold639

International Coach
Lol 3 people got out for a duck the first ball they faced :)

crick4life

International Cricketer
gold639 said:
Lol 3 people got out for a duck the first ball they faced :)

That was becuase I tried to heave the ball for a six off the first ball they faced :p but with the latest patch that is not possible :(

crick4life

International Cricketer
Yes Champ, it is patch 5. I am happy with the way it plays, not too aggressive not too defensive but just right. Also no stumpings and no lbws to sweep shots. There were couple of sweep shots or three played and some 4-8 advance shots played as well. Mind you I use !xspeed set at +1.71, it makes it much more harder to bowl and bat.

gold639

International Coach
I set it at 1.51,as then,it is quite quick,and the realism stays.

At 1.62,and 1.71,the game is too quick,which removes the realism.

crick4life

International Cricketer
I think +1.51 is good for bowling I have observed but +1.71 for batting for me. I have gotten so used to +1.71 I mistime every shot when I play at +1.51. I used to feel anything over +1.41 is just too quick but I got used to it in just couple of days and now I can't afford to lower anymore when batting.

crick4life

International Cricketer
Martin Crowe confident of win in the opener

nzmcrowe.jpg

New Zealand cricket captain Martin Crowe is confident his side can win the one-dayer against Australia in Auckland on Tuesday afternoon.
"We have only started playing them a little bit more in the last 12 months," Martin Crowe told reporters at Eden Park during their practice session on Monday afternoon.

"We have had some good runs with them in ODIs. The test arena is a bit different.
"We have only got these games [the two pre-World cup trial matches] to analyze and they have been pretty close."

Both teams are expecting an even bounce and better for batting track in Auckland, something many experts suggest will help the world champions more than the home side.

'We have read a bit of that but I don't necessarily agree," Martin Crowe insisted.

"We have got a record here. We have played well against some good pace attacks; Pakistan and West Indies are pretty good pace attacks and that suits us to play that way as well.

"It is more batter friendly and scores are a bit higher but that doesn't put us out of the game."

"It [the Auckland Eden Park record] is pretty good and that is why we hold no fear here. They are a good side no matter where we play them.

"We have that belief on all surfaces.
"We are not doctoring or looking to make conditions harder for Australia, we are just looking to play good cricket on what ever surfaces we are given."
Martin Crowe himself has crafted a very good record in Auckland himself, scoring centuries on his last two visits, including last month's brilliant innings of 106.

"I think it is two in a row here now and I would love to make it three."
The top order has struggled against Australia in recent times and it has been the middle and lower order that have played the major hands in New Zealand's competitiveness.

"It would be nice [to get runs] but it is not always the case. The beauty of this side is that it has learnt different ways to win a match.

"While it didn't work for us at the top of the order the other day, there is still belief that our hitters and our whippets below can get us close to that score.

"It is about being smart and assessing game situations - we play enough of them these days to be able to know which way they are going to turn out."

crick4life

International Cricketer
New Zealand lose 5 wickets in just 7 overs

McDermott and Bruce Reid tore into the New Zealand batting order in just under 1/2 hour's play in the first game of the World cup for both the contenders. After New Zealand won the toss and elected to bat Jhonny Wright was the first to go edging one to the first slip to G.Marsh off McDermott to complete an easy waist height catch.

Geoff Marsh then dropped a chest high catch offered by Latham off McDermott but more was to come later. R.Latham then offered an easy chance to Mark Waugh at Square leg by trying to hoist over mid wicket only ended up only hitting straight to Mark Waugh.

Bruce Reid then bowled a perfect bouncer to New Zealand captain M.Crowe of the first ball he faced. M.Crowe hooked striaght the ball well but was bewildered to see the ball head to the deep fine leg fielder where S.Waugh took an excellent catch diving forward. This catch will go in as one of the highlights of the world cup.

McDermott then bowled an excellent delivery to Rutherford pitching just on the off and seaming away. The ball took Rutherford's bats' edge and flew to the first slip and G.Marsh completed an easy catch.

McDermott struck again in the same over to remove Harris when Harris missed a full ball on the middle stump to be adjudged LBW. Auckland crowd is now absolutely shocked and have had not a joy so far. The Aussies bowlers have found the conditions very coducive for seam bowling and have struck to the task of bowling good line and length.

I.Smith now has joined A.Jones and now it is left to the long tail of New Zealand to just bat out the remaining overs if at all.

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread