2008 European Championships Qualifying

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Beckham was the star of my World Cup campaign on Pro Evo, scored a match winning free-kick in the world cup final, therefore he should be in the team :p. England just need a good manager, we have a group of world class players, but are a mediocre team. We need a manager like Jose or Capello who is capable of making the team into a world class team full of world class players. Until we do we'll be stuck with a mediocre team. The FA will probably end up hiring some prat from inside the team though, Venables and Brooking i expect :p

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it's a mistake to say we have a lot of world class players. Probably only Rooney, Terry and Gerrard are truly world class. The rest are just really good players.

If England can get a manager who picks players on merit rather than on reputation then they'll really go places. For example, it's Lampard or Gerrard. Not both. Never.

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
I think it's a mistake to say we have a lot of world class players. Probably only Rooney, Terry and Gerrard are truly world class. The rest are just really good players.

If England can get a manager who picks players on merit rather than on reputation then they'll really go places. For example, it's Lampard or Gerrard. Not both. Never.
Isn't Beckham a World Class player??:eek:

usy

Chairman of Selectors
well i just started liking him after his move..

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
He sold himself out. He put money over football. That makes him a mercenary in my view and there are too many mercenaries like that in football. The England team is full of them. That's the problem.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah he was world class and he isn't as good as he used to be, but if he can still produce world class passes like that one for Crouch then nobody can doubt that he is still good enough for England.
You are saying Beckham sold himself out for money, but who wouldn't for that sort of money?
LA Galaxy are giving him ?25.6m per year plus I bet he got a few million in a signing on fee, only a fool would turn that down to stay at a Spanish team who you dont support who are giving you a lot less money.
You can say what you like, but you can't really judge him down on taking more money, anyone put in the same position would do the same...

Also, to any Beckham doubters who have never thought he has ever been world class...:

he is +Good.

Last edited by a moderator:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah well money is more important than football to any player, and it would be to you. It isn't the player's fault that the the clubs have offered them obscene amounts of money is it? It's the agents and clubs who are at fault for it.
If a Chelsea scout saw you at a SUnday League match and thought you were a good player and offered you ?100k per week, would you say no? Exactly

Of course I wouldn't say no because it would give me a job in football. Upon receiving this contract i'd stay at the club and give my all for them until they didn't want me anymore and sold me on. Then i'd give my all for that club and never leave them until they don't want me anymore etc etc. Becks is a mercenary. Plays for money. Players who play for money aren't proper footballers.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
proper footballers ... good footballers.. difference.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Proper footballers give their heart and soul for their team. Players who aren't proper perform like England did the other night.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Every footballer is a sellout, otherwse they would be loyal to the club they first played for, only a very few players have done that quite a lot of united players come to mind and a few Italians too. Whether your a sellout or not doesn't change how good a player you are and how much you will give for your team when playing, its about whether you carer about who your playing for. Some managers can get that out of players and Steve McClaren can't. Sir Alex can get th best out of his united players despite a fair few having no real connecton with the club, and really it should be a lot easier to get the best out of your countrys players because they should care.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Did Beckham really sell out Matt? Man Utd flogged him, he then didn't have the best of times at Madrid. OK just before he left they wanted him, but don't foget he was old at one point that he'd never play for Madrid again. So where did that leave him? Perhaps he wasn't keen on playing for another Premiership club, perhaps it was the money, but I don't think he had that many options.

Users who are viewing this thread