Draft: 22 Degrees of David Gower

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
1637177855872.png

:eng: :bwl: Bob Appleyard

31 wickets @ 17.87 (1 5WI, best 5/51) in 9 Test matches

This is another rogue selection, and another one made possible by Ray Illingworth. Bob Appleyard is this draft's answer to SF Barnes: a unique fast-spinner that the batsmen of his time simply couldn't cope with. Of course, bowling spin at a fast man's pace properly messes one's body up, but that doesn't matter for this draft: what matters is a first-class bowling average under 16 and a Test bowling average under 18. He also finishes off a startlingly complete bowling attack, one that only really misses a left-armer.

7. :aus: :ar: Richie Benaud
8. :nzf: :ar: Richard Hadlee
9. :wi: :bwl: Malcolm Marshall
10. :eng: :bwl: Bob Appleyard
11. :aus: :bwl: Glenn McGrath

@blockerdave

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've got one Richards, so I'll take another - Barry Richards to open the batting.
  1. Barry Richards
  2. -
  3. -
  4. Viv Richards
  5. Aravinda DaSilva
  6. -
  7. Mike Procter
  8. Ian Botham
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
@qpeedore is next

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Well, if @Aislabie wants to talk wicketkeepers then I'll take Jeff Dujon. Kept to arguably the quickest bowlers of any generation, and as he'll tell you...he still managed to have five stumpings. I always pick keepers on their glovework first and he's probably one of the best of the lot. Flamboyant? Undoubtedly so. But effective? Oh, hell yes. Acrobatic, a large range of coverage. You almost didn't need a first slip, he'd pouch anything. Never been a part of a losing series. For someone who played 81 Tests that's an impressive feat. Played against Gower as well so directly related.

I never saw him play, I'm not that old, but my dad rates him as the best wicketkeeper-batsman he's ever seen.

@sanchitgarg

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You know it.
Post automatically merged:

Well, if @Aislabie wants to talk wicketkeepers then I'll take Jeff Dujon. Kept to arguably the quickest bowlers of any generation, and as he'll tell you...he still managed to have five stumpings. I always pick keepers on their glovework first and he's probably one of the best of the lot. Flamboyant? Undoubtedly so. But effective? Oh, hell yes. Acrobatic, a large range of coverage. You almost didn't need a first slip, he'd pouch anything. Never been a part of a losing series. For someone who played 81 Tests that's an impressive feat. Played against Gower as well so directly related.

I never saw him play, I'm not that old, but my dad rates him as the best wicketkeeper-batsman he's ever seen.

@sanchitgarg

there’s a keeper most of the WI bowlers will tell you was even better, but he couldn’t stay off the pot.

Mittal2002

Club Captain
The way you've worded this is confusing. If Garry Sobers didn't play with or against Gower, then Walcott is ineligible.

Played with or against Gower = 1 degree of separation.
Played with or against someone who played with or against Gower = 2 degrees of separation.

Can you confirm?
Sorry, my mistake. I am not sure if Clyde Walcott is eligible or not, so I'll rather pick Rahul Dravid who is definitely eligible as he played with Sachin Tendulkar. He will play at 3 for my team and will provide solidity to the middle order.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
@Yash. missed his time, so I believe it's my turn

Zaheer "Asian Bradman" Bradman

GettyImages-626803362-e1595500465807.jpg

My team so far:

1. ?