3rd Test: England v Australia at Old Trafford Aug 1-5, 2013

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
We've been playing for a draw ever since day 1 and looks like it might bite us in the ass.
Good for the series but I just can't believe how negative England have been with both bat and ball.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, it could have been a lot closer series with a tiny bit more performance from the Australians. Anderson is the standout bowler and Bell the standout batsman. Otherwise England has been pretty human.

Is that why Siddle has taken as many wickets but with a better average and most of an innings left? Swann has been the standout. Anderson is very good but overrated.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm not praying for rain. I think England could bat it out anyway, and even if they didn't there are still 2 Tests left and Australia are not going to win them all.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
looks like england regain the ashes

what a boring series

It's actually been quite similar to 2005 so far.

An enormous victory at Lord's
A tight result at Trent Bridge
A draw at Old Trafford...

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
It's actually been quite similar to 2005 so far.

An enormous victory at Lord's
A tight result at Trent Bridge
A draw at Old Trafford...

Yeah that is true, except the draw at old trafford was a nail biter. Can't see play starting again which is a real shame

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah that is true, except the draw at old trafford was a nail biter. Can't see play starting again which is a real shame

sup

----------

Mike Brewer: "This is a blow, it looks like England just wont have enough time to knock off these runs and keep the five-nil alive"

Cloud1863

School Cricketer
England retain the Ashes, now roll on the next test and let us actually win them.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Momentum definitely with Aus but I expect Durham to favour the bowlers and I reckon England's batsmen play the moving ball better.

Ashes to Splashes
Dust to Dust
If Swanny don't get you
The weather must

(courtesy Twitter)

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
I think England have been too cautious batting and could pay the penalty, make runs while the sun shines should be the motto.

I was quite shocked to see three wickets down, even more to see a crawling rate. The only way I can see England losing, well two ways, is Bell to get out and both Root and Bairstow are inexperienced and could crumble, or just some poor play.

Didn't I say earlier in the thread that none of Cook, Trott and Prior have had particularly good series so far? We've got away with it in relative low scoring matches in the series

That's because the Aussies can't get even a useful score unless Clarke does something fine, which he did in this match. But no-one else can in the line-up as it stands. Agar still has the second highest score in the series for the Aussies which says it all really.

England seemed pretty intent on the draw early in the match, but I don't blame them for that. It's the way they play, very conservatively, and it is what works for them.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Really proud of this Aussie team as I sit and reflect on the match. Only 1 team seemed interested in winning this match from as early as day 2. Harris and Siddle were top notch, really probing stuff. Watson also does a great job as seamer #4 - just what you want from your all-rounder. Just need to get Starc and Lyon to get it right more frequently. Bird must come into the next Test I think, either to give Harris a rest or instead of Starc.

Some better weather, and the odd call in the 1st Test, and Australia could be up 2-1 :eek: They wouldn't have deserved it...but down 2-0 doesn't seem right either.

Users who are viewing this thread