4th Test: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street Aug 9-13, 2013

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
It might be that the umpires screwed Australia in terms of those two lbws, but Haddin and Watson were really playing hideous shots and both missed essentially straight deliveries. Watson plonked his front foot and couldn't get around it (like he's been doing all series) and I don't even know what Haddin was doing.

Also, Shane Warne whinges A LOT on commentary.

Yes, I really can't complain about Watson. He's a sitting duck and makes it extremely easy for the Ump to trigger him by doing the same thing over and over and over...

And Haddin is barking mad, I suspect. He's the most inconsistent of players. Can play beautifully and correctly but sometimes just comes out leaving his brain in the change rooms.

midgetwars

Club Captain
So...What do we do with Bird?

Do we bring in Starc who can bat? Or keep Bird?

People obviously like Bird over Starc but he can't bat at all. Even though, it wouldn't of made a difference.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Rest Harris, no point in getting him injured and being ruled out for the return Ashes. That gives Starc another chance and Bird.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Well, for the Aussies I think it's time to give Cowan another go at three, and to replace Harris with Starc for health reasons. Hughes or Agar in for Watson as well, depending on what you're looking to bring into the side.

England will want to rest some players, too, so I'd be looking at Taylor in for Pietersen, Roland-Jones (not that they'll pick him) in for Anderson, and maybe a spinner (Kerrigan?) in for Swann.

Just make sure our players are well rested

Last edited:

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I imagine we won't be picking Roland-Jones because he's not good enough. He's not even in the top 3 pace bowlers for his County, although I will admit only two of those are technically English. I don't think we'll rest anyone though. Would much rather see them rested for the ODI series, even if I do think Finn deserves another chance.

I wouldn't be against a change or two on form to the batting line up though.

Aislabie

Ireland
Disagree on Roland-Jones. From what I've seen, he's brisk (not rapid, though) accurate and gets late movement. Very like Graham Onions, but with better first-class stats.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
He's a prospect for sure, but for me, there are other bowlers ahead of him who should be looked at first. And look no further than the Middlesex dressing room for James Harris who's in that group.

Aislabie

Ireland
He's a prospect for sure, but for me, there are other bowlers ahead of him who should be looked at first. And look no further than the Middlesex dressing room for James Harris who's in that group.

Harris is still fighting his way back to full fitness from an injury.

And the last word on Roland-Jones - the best place to give him experience is in an Ashes winning side with the pressure off

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
For England, I'd maybe bring in Onions or Finn for Anderson, because he looked spent at Chester-le-Street. I wouldn't tinker with the batting order but I'd tell Bairstow that he needs to come good or his spot is up for grabs. Pietersen's knee seems ok, so I think he plays.

England: 1 Cook 2 Root 3 Trott 4 Pietersen 5 Bell 6 Bairstow 7 Prior 8 Bresnan 9 Broad 10 Swann 11 Finn

For Australia, I'd bring in Phil Hughes, with the understanding that barring disfigurement he'll be playing at three this Test and all the home Ashes Tests. There's no point risking Harris in a dead rubber, so I'd bring in Starc for him.

Australia: 1 Warner 2 Rogers 3 Hughes 4 Clarke 5 Smith 6 Watson 7 Haddin 8 Siddle 9 Starc 10 Bird 11 Lyon

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
And the last word on Roland-Jones - the best place to give him experience is in an Ashes winning side with the pressure off

This isn't football. You have to earn your spot, even if we're resting players beacuse it is a dead rubber.

----------

Shame really. 'Welcome back Steve Finn' in that case?

Should be, with Onions injured, I can't see who else would be next in line. Finn needs games.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

Is that someone posting before reading the thread? Shoot them...

Was this already known then or am I missing something? Not sure what you are trying to say........

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread