6ft snooker table. Any snooker nutters here?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yes, the balls on the first table are huge compared to the ones on the second. I would rather go for good quality at a cheaper price, rather than excellent quality at a lot more. It's obviously your choice, though.

When I get it, expect me to do a bit of a disappearing act, as far as being online is concerned... :)

Strange, according to the site, the balls are 1.7/8 inch on both tables.

Edit: I was quoted at £325 to have a table built for me by Alliance Snooker, but that's outside my budget. If I had that sort of money though, I'd be sure to get an absolutely excellent table.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Maybe they just stuck normal sized balls on there for the photo, although I would find it strange if they did.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Maybe they just stuck normal sized balls on there for the photo, although I would find it strange if they did.

That's true, they look like fullsize balls, don't they? It won't matter, if I find out the other one has similar performance, because I prefer the look of that one anyway.

What make is your table?

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No idea, doesn't say on the table and I can't remember as far back as when I got it. May well be Argos' own make.

Sureshot

Executive member
They won't sell you full size balls on a 6ft table. They don't look big enough for full size balls either. Where abouts in the UK are you MasterBlaster?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Pretty sure my balls were full size with my six footer

(Hope you are laughing again Themer)

MacWorld

Club Cricketer
yep, that is funny.:p I agree with kev, the balls should be full size with the table. I would just get one from argos.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Pretty sure my balls were full size with my six footer

(Hope you are laughing again Themer)

No, the balls that come with a 6ft table are tiny compared to full size snooker balls. Have you ever seen a full size ball? They're huge in comparison!

Edit: Just measured up again and the ones from Argos are around 100cm wide, as opposed to 91cm wide. Only 10cm, but it would make all the difference, like I said, space is at a real premium and I have to use very short cues to accommodate the table. I reckon I'd rather spend a bit more and get one from a quality name like Riley.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I only have my balls to compare with and they were full size

This has to be comedy gold!

Boringly, yes I have played many a game on full size tables.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I only have my balls to compare with and they were full size

This has to be comedy gold!

Boringly, yes I have played many a game on full size tables.

Weird. You'd have a job potting the balls on a 6ft, if they were indeed full size balls. I haven't played on a 6ft for years, you can get decent backspin with them, can't you?

Sureshot

Executive member
Backspin is down to cue action, timing and the cloth. Size of the table makes no jot of difference.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Backspin is down to cue action, timing and the cloth. Size of the table makes no jot of difference.
Size of ball would make a difference, I feel, however. It would be much harder to impart backspin on a marble-sized ball, for example.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Less well endowed people obviously :p

Is it me or has evo taken over my keyboard

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

You're right, size of the table doesn't, but size of the balls does. I can get backspin easily on balls from a 6ft table, but I tried a 4ft 6in table a while back and the only thing I could get was stun, no backspin at all. You just can't get the tip 'in' to balls that small, you just end up playing jump shots.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

They won't sell you full size balls on a 6ft table. They don't look big enough for full size balls either. Where abouts in the UK are you MasterBlaster?

I'm from London. Do you have any ideas about stores in London that have 6ft tables out on display? I'd much rather test it first, although if I spend £240 on a Riley table, I'm sure I'm guaranteed quality. By the way, I clarified the ball size with BB Billiards and they said:

'The snooker tables use the same size balls (1.7/8”), so the picture on the Tournament table is slightly mis constrewing the size of the balls there.'

Users who are viewing this thread