Your Cricket A Diary from the North (Updated with Saturday's Match)

Highlander999

ICC President
This is where I am going to be describing my season for my School's 1XI where I am VC. I'm an opening wicket-keeper batsman and am hoping to score a fair few runs this season. I can't be bothered to write down the details of my club. Hopefully it'll be a good season

Well we had our first session on Thursday but it was pouring with rain, so we went to use the indoor nets only to find a bunch of five year old's from the Junior School were using it playing rounders :mad: So next practice will be on Tuesday. I can't wait as I feel pretty rusty :)

Last edited:

freddiw

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
haha.....good luck tommy I hope you have a good season with that magical glove work...what school do you go to :p

Highlander999

ICC President
First training session of the season

Well it had been a decent day all the way to lunch time and then it suddenly started pouring with rain and things did not look too good. However thankfully it eased of and by 3:00 we were all ready to start.

We started of with me, the skip and two other guys batting in the nets. Not particularly good as I lost my middle stump first ball and probably would have been LBW fifth ball. However I soon set myself into a good rhythm. After my time was up (with no further dismissals I got taken of by the coach and he threw me balls to test my diving. I was horrendous :p He soon gave up and made one of the younger guys do it :laugh

By 4 we headed out for a practice match. Not a good start as I let the first ball straight through me legs :o :noway I however then made up for it when we brought a spinner on and our number 11 tried to sweep him, missed and fell over. Needless to say I quickly wiped of the bails. I then got told to have a bat so our 2XI keeper got some time with the big boys :p

Once again not a good start as I edged the first ball to wide second slip. However as I got my eye in I began to score more freely. I ended up scoring about 40 runs and got out twice :mad:

It was an ok session but with our next training session on Thursday and our first match of the season on Saturday I need to have got back into my old ways by then :)

Highlander999

ICC President
Thursday's Training Session

Once again another perfect day. Maybe a little bit windy but it wouldn't be causing me any problems.

Today I feel, things went a lot better. We split up into two groups this time, in the nets, and I was facing our two opening bowlers :eek: plus an off-spinner. First ball smacked me on the helmet and the next 3 balls all hit me on the chest :mad: I just had to shrug it of and get on with the job. I only got out once in the nets to the spinner, when I tried to reverse sweep him :brickwall. Apart from that it was a good session for me :)

We then had a fielding session where I donned the gloves and the coach lined the rest of the squad up and smacked balls away for the rest of them to fetch and then throw into me. That lasted about half an hour and was, I think, really useful for everyone.

After that we had a game out in the middle. I didn't get a chance to bat :( but kept well and only let one delivery through, a wild one down the leg-side, which was a real tricky one. I was pretty exhausted afterwards but it was good fun.

Our first match is this Saturday @ 10:00 a.m. Hopefully we can get this season of to a flyer :)

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
you sound like a great batsmen :p Do you bat like that in matches, only I'm pretty useless in nets and get pretty nervous against a quick but in matches everything changes. Come down the wicket and smack it back at them so it doesn't get the chance to bounce up at you!

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Good luck with the match Tom and if you can get a pic of you!

Highlander999

ICC President
you sound like a great batsmen :p Do you bat like that in matches, only I'm pretty useless in nets and get pretty nervous against a quick but in matches everything changes. Come down the wicket and smack it back at them so it doesn't get the chance to bounce up at you!

For some reason I do better in the nets than in matches. I might wait till I'm pushing for professional cricket before attempting to come down the wicket to a guy who plays for Scotland under 19's ;)

Good luck with the match Tom and if you can get a pic of you!

LOL I'll take the camera out to bat with me

Highlander999

ICC President
Match Day

Today was our big match day. We were away but the other team are just down the road and tbh there ground is much better than ours. I was suffering from a slight hang-over so was given the quick fix of Irn Bru. Actually about half of the team were hung over which would account for why we started so badly.

We loss the toss and were asked to bowl. It was a 40 over game and after 10 overs they were 56-0 which was not good :mad:. Our spinner then came on and absolutely destroyed them picking up 3 quick wickets to have them 80(ish) - 3 after 20 overs. I soon had the first impact on the game when there number 4 edged it and I took my first catch of the season. Eventually we bowled them all out of 187 with myself taking another catch off the last batsman.

Not a bad score so myself and my other opening partner had to do well. Unfortunately he got a golden duck and then the number 3 soon got out for only 2 runs. I staged a semi-revival with the middle order but was soon bowled for 25 :mad: Luckily our number 6 and 7 decided to keep their heads and managed to both score half-centuries so that after 35 overs we needed 20 runs. 4 sixes in a row guaranteed a great victory for us. It had not been a good display by the top order and I would have liked to make a bigger impact on the game but that's the way life is. At least we have won our first match :)

Our next training session is on Tuesday

Users who are viewing this thread