Review A promising game spoilt - its unplayable in my opinion

D

Dutch

This is a good post. I was criticised recently for "hating" this game on multiple threads. I'm entitled to my opinion even if it bugs you, and yes I do "hate" the game and what's been done with it!

Let me take Spitfire's post to another level. How do those guys at Transmission or Codemasters or whatever get to keep their jobs? I mean, if you were in an elevated position within the company and knew anything about cricket, wouldn't you sack the guy who allowed the AI runout bug? Wouldn't you sack the so-called programmers who failed to fix the bowling speeds and flat-out lied about it?

I know we are in an economic crisis and all, and this is a sensitive topic, but how these bozos get to keep their jobs is incomprehensible.

The most unfortunate part of it all is that they have gained anough sales to justify (in their minds) calling the product a success. Therefore, it is possible that they won't learn from their mistakes, keep selling faulty products and enough poor saps keep buying them.

Healthy competition. Healthy competition. Healthy competition. That's what we need. Once a a rival company releases a quality cricket game, causing the sales of games like AC09 to plummet, will we see action on two fronts: we get what we want (and deserve) and companies that produce the likes of AC09 start to take notice (not that we'll care by that stage).

Sorry Hmarka, I know I'm ticking you off! Please know that it's done in the spirit of lively discussion and not just flaming or hating.

I know this one goes round and round in circles but without wanting to deny the flaws in the game, I have found that if I approach this game thinking how a cricketer would play I get a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

When batting I leave when I should, play defensive when I should, build an innings and try and pace it well in Twenty20's and ODI's. I look at the fieldsettings and ask what is the bowler wanting me to do.

Yes I too can grip my hair in frustration at some of the silly AI fielding settings but I try to work with it. When bowling I am always trying to think somebody out. Does it always work? No! Do I get frustrated at times? Yes! Is it perfect no? Do I get lots of good fun out of it? Yes!

It's like Flight Simulator; sure you can divebomb an airfield, land a plane in the sea, do acrobatics in a 747, basically piss about, but you can also take things to a new level and approach it with a touch of "professionalism" in the sense of wanting to do things properly. I have found it most enjoyable doing a 3 or 4 hour flight that has only an one hours actual "flying time". The rest is preparation, checklists etcetera and following proper procedures.

Call be an anorak if you want, call me anything you like, call me an ambulance, I care not. I have paid for this darn thing and I am determined to make it work for me. I am equally respectable of others with a very different opinion. It's all about our own choices.

The argument could be that Flightsim allows you to follow proper procedures if you wish to because it has been well-devloped. Believe me, there have been some crappy versions of Flightsim until they really started to come up with the goods. Same with this game; next version will be better. Should this game have been better from the start? Maybe.

Anyway the discussion rolls on and on and goes round and round until we all realise that we all have our own views on things and ways of dealing with stuff. Is that wrong? Nope, it's called life!:)

(This has been a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the "Ah, I dont Really Need A Real Life Anyway Party":D)

Last edited by a moderator:

bally91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
theres a fair bit wrong wit it

-the depth of the game. there is lack of tourament options like only playing knock outs from the quater finals. before i bought it i thought they wud have the option of havin an icc world cup with the group stages n all that but in their unlicenced version like cup of nations or sumtihng. the challenges can b done in like a couple of hours. also can anyone tell me if ea own the rights to the ipl or world 2020? cuz they wernt in cricket 07 there is so many more things codemasters cud of added

- the AI is terrible, i bowled england out before 12 on the 1st morning of a test cuz all the players were being tryin to slog sixes. they cant judge a run and block out overs in 20/20s wit the game on the line

D

Dutch

theres a fair bit wrong wit it

-the depth of the game. there is lack of tourament options like only playing knock outs from the quater finals. before i bought it i thought they wud have the option of havin an icc world cup with the group stages n all that but in their unlicenced version like cup of nations or sumtihng. the challenges can b done in like a couple of hours. also can anyone tell me if ea own the rights to the ipl or world 2020? cuz they wernt in cricket 07 there is so many more things codemasters cud of added

- the AI is terrible, i bowled england out before 12 on the 1st morning of a test cuz all the players were being tryin to slog sixes. they cant judge a run and block out overs in 20/20s wit the game on the line

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my previous answer. And if you play me online I can assure you that I try and build an innings. I am winning many online games these days because I put together a realisic total and just wait for the opposition to self-destruct trying to get that total in 8 overs instead of 20. I have had some great matches with people who are willing to do the same. That calls for patience and cricketing insight rather than just gaming insight. I would much rather lose a game against someone who played real cricket rather than just being slogged into the middle of next week. Also, as my signature clearly states, my batting is not my strongest asset. I also don't mind when people change the bowling at the last second. As long as the lag is okay it feels more like a challenge than knowing where the ball is going to be. Surely thats like real cricket too?:)

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I refer the right honourable gentleman to my previous answer. And if you play me online I can assure you that I try and build an innings. I am winning many online games these days because I put together a realisic total and just wait for the opposition to self-destruct trying to get that total in 8 overs instead of 20. I have had some great matches with people who are willing to do the same. That calls for patience and cricketing insight rather than just gaming insight. I would much rather lose a game against someone who played real cricket rather than just being slogged into the middle of next week. Also, as my signature clearly states, my batting is not my strongest asset. I also don't mind when people change the bowling at the last second. As long as the lag is okay it feels more like a challenge than knowing where the ball is going to be. Surely thats like real cricket too?:)

Sounds like you're my kind of opponent. As soon as I can get online sorted in Win 7, we'll have a game!

D

Dutch

Sounds like you're my kind of opponent. As soon as I can get online sorted in Win 7, we'll have a game!

You are on!:) For some reason I thought you were one of the console players. Are you having problems with getting online??

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
You are on!:) For some reason I thought you were one of the console players. Are you having problems with getting online??

Yeps. I probably need to get a new wireless adapter, one that works with Win 7; it doesn't like my current adapter and I can't find updated drivers for it. It's probably quite an old model, knowing my luck...

kersnort

School Cricketer
Just to say, in a test match the AI is 45/0 off 30 overs against me

abfo

School Cricketer
None whatsoever

If you were avoiding run-outs by saving, then just dont do it for sometime. And when their two wickets are down, prepare ur self to see the unseen.

kersnort

School Cricketer
If you were avoiding run-outs by saving, then just dont do it for sometime. And when their two wickets are down, prepare ur self to see the unseen.

There were no run outs, for some reason my game doesn't ever have many run outs in it

D

Dutch

There were no run outs, for some reason my game doesn't ever have many run outs in it

Ah, you have got your hands on one of Willy Wonka's Scrumptious Mega Cricket Feasts. There were only a few thrown in to the whole batch! 5 I think. Did you find a Golden Ticket inside? Apparantly you have won a trip to Codemasters Public Relations Department. I looked up the address for you: funnily enough the co-ordinates match those of Dartmoor Prison.:)

On a more serious side I imagine the run-outs will start to hit and hit hard at some point. It's such a shame because it does spoil things. There are work-a-rounds though.:)

D

Dutch

You must have accidentally picked up a copy of Croquet 09 instead of Cricket 09.

Or it might be a copy of Croppit 09 the family fun-filled authentic lettuce-growing simulation game.

I just had it in my hands a minute ago. The box reads:

"Tired of all those re-hashed vegetable growing simulations out there? Now times have changed! We proudly bring you Croppit 09! For lettuce lovers by lettuce lovers!"

I gave it a whirl but am frankly dissapointed. The screenshots of Crispy Fresh Salad Lettuce are woeful and whilst Dark Green Boston starts off well it suddenly shoots out of the grown much too quickly after initial germination has taken place!

I am going to have a go at my mate who recommended it to me. He said Croppit 09 was even better than the legendary Carrot and Turnips 99.

However I have got hopes. Apparantly a small comapany has been working very hard on Vegetable Revolution. Apparantly it's more for your casual gardener but hopefully it will also satisfy the stickler for detail who likes to prepare the bed well before sowing the seed! We shall see!​

Users who are viewing this thread