Afro-Asia Cup

scorpion_rulezz

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Inzamam delighted to lead Asian XI

Pakistan's Inzamam-ul-Haq has been chosen to skipper the Asia XI against an Africa XI in three one-day internationals later this month.
The matches will be played in South Africa on 17, 20 and 21 August and have been awarded full ODI status.

Inzamam said: "It's a great honour for me and for my country."

The Africa XI will be captained by Shaun Pollock for the first two games and then by Graeme Smith, who is serving a ban for time-wasting.

Africa Cricket Association president Peter Chingoka said: "The purpose of the series is to raise revenue to meet the mutual developmental goals in both continents.

"And, as part ofcricket's social responsibility, 10% of the net profits will go to a charitable cause to be announced by the end of this week.

"The Africa team is the best available. The timing is not perfect but we had to kickstart this venture now and sacrifice a bit, otherwise we would have had to wait over a year.

"It will be better in the additional series in Asia in 2006 and back in Africa in 2007."

The Asia XI includes India's Rahul Dravid and Virender Sehwag, Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar and Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya and Muttiah Muralitharan.

Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher and Heath Streak are in the Africa XI squad.

Squads:

Africa: Graeme Smith, Shaun Pollock, Boeta Dippenaar, AB de Villiers, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, Albie Morkel, Mark Boucher, Monde Zondeki, Jacques Rudolph, Nicky Boje, Justin Ontong, Dale Steyn (all South Africa); Steve Tikolo, Collins Obuya, Thomas Odoyo (Kenya); Heath Streak, Tatenda Taibu, Andy Blignaut (Zimbabwe).

Asia: Inzamam-ul-Haq, Yousuf Youhana, Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq, Naveed ul-Hasan, Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan); Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Irfan Pathan, Anil Kumble (India); Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya, Muttiah Muralitharan, Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka); Mohammad Ashraful (Bangladesh).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4735651.stm

Last edited:

jazz

Panel of Selectors
will this be televised and if yess what channel?

scorpion_rulezz

Club Cricketer
jazz said:
will this be televised and if yess what channel?
i think super sport will also televised it,not confirmed yet

Afro-Asian TV rights confirmed

The television rights for the 2005 Afro-Asia cup have finally been confirmed this morning, with Nimbus Sports International of Singapore announced as the sole partner. A lack of interest by the front-runners ESPN/Star and Ten Sports, both of whom are otherwise committed, had dampened the appeal of the event, as had the lack of availability of leading players.
http://content.cricinfo.com/afroasiacup/content/story/214821.html

Ryand

Club Cricketer
I think Streak may be the only non south african playe playin for da afro XI

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Ryand said:
I think Streak may be the only non south african playe playin for da afro XI
Apart from Taibu, Blignaut, and the 3 Kenyan players Zorax mentioned.

I kind of like the idea of an Afro XI. Or maybe a "70s Hairstyles" XI. Actually that one is Australia :D

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Yep.
Tikolo is pretty good, and Obuya is Kenya's best spinner, and is better than Ontong

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Hmmm, I wont be in Pakistan anymore when 1st match starts.

Actually, Ill be on a PIA plane, so who knows, maybe theyll show cricket :p

Will it be shown in USA?

kalyan

Club Cricketer
Yep, Tikolo and Colins from Kenya and Streak from Zimbabwe will be in the playing XI.

I would say that Ganguly should be disgusted from missing out of the Asia XI, i dont think u should consider his recent form. It is a raw deal.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Africans would win a match but against a strong subcontinent i think it s more likely gonna be 3-0. in favour of asians
But if you put the entire south african team in place of africa then the results would definatley change.3-0 the other way round.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
I'm really looking forward to this and I hope that there will be some close cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread