All Time ODI Cricket Draft <---Shravis uppp

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
That's why I said a third party :p

One thing we could do is each of us make our own teams, and post them up here. Than everyone can agree on them, etc and we can pass them onto a simmer.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Sorry for completely throwing in the towel for this guys. There was a loss in my family (Grandfather passed away), who was living in Ranchi so I was there for a few weeks to spend time with my relatives and I was quite close to my Grandfather so yeah it was quite a tough time for me.

Good to see you guys managed to finish off the draft well, and once again I apologise for not giving any indication that I wouldn't be on for a few weeks.

I will definiely give my thoughts on each side soon.

That's too bad mate. Hope it's all going well for you now. Might have to give you a place in my upcoming draft to make up for missing out :)

I'm thinking of doing a Test cricket draft for left handers and left armers only - just something a bit quirky and interesting. Will probably have less teams than 8, 6 might be better since there aren't a lot of decent left handed keepers, for example.

Does that tickle anyone's interest, or are we all sick of drafts? I find them quite addictive myself :p

TumTum

International Cricketer
Does that tickle anyone's interest, or are we all sick of drafts? I find them quite addictive myself :p

smiley-finger006.gif
Pointless if we don't get to do anything with them, it will be judged by opinion in the end anyway.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Stinky missed the 24 hour limit again. So I'm making my pick:

Brad Hogg

_42807999_hogg416.jpg

All great sides need a world class spinner, and with the obvious candidates all picked, I was stuck between a few names. There was Hogg, a mysterious Sri Lankan, a chinny Englishman and an all-round Bangladeshi. However, Hogg was the man that really stood out. 156 ODi wickets in his career, at a more than handy average of 26.84, an economy of 4.51 and a strike rate of 35. Hogg announced himself to the world at the 2003 World Cup with a magnificently bowled flipper to Zimbabwe talisman Andy Flower. Flower Flower leapt back, waited for the away-spin and then slumped, hideously bamboozled, as the ball fizzed straight through on to his stumps.

Hogg really shot to fame in the 2007 World Cup however. He'd had a slightly lean trot in the 5 matches prior to the tournament, so wasn't expecting to play. He did, and boy did he impress, taking just 2 wickets fewer than 1 Muttiah Muralitharan. Hogg took 21 wickets at 15.80 in the tournament, with an economy of 4.00 with a best of 4/27; as well as a 4/29 against New Zealand.

His left-arm chinaman's offer my side that key piece of variation that sets the side apart from most. Adding a bowler as accomplished as Hogg to a bowling line-up that includes Akhtar, Bracken, Marshall, Imran, Flintoff and Kallis sets up surefire destruction for any side that takes my team on. The batting is strong, with Brad Hogg offering some handy lower-order batting down at 8 and the fielding, with Waugh, De Villiers and Collingwood in the side is nothing short of exceptional. Really am liking my side.

1. Jacques Kallis - 10613 runs at 45.74 + 251 wickets at 32.01
2. Mark Waugh - 8500 runs at 39.35 + 85 wickets at 34.56
3. AB De Villiers - 3333 runs at 42.18
4. Paul Collingwood - 4596 runs at 36.47 + 101 wickets at 39.00
5. Andrew Flintoff - 3394 runs at 32.01 (1749 runs at 46.02 batting number 5) + 169 wickets at 24.38
6. Mahendra Singh Dhoni + - 5420 runs at 51.13
7. Imran Khan * - 3709 runs at 33.41 + 182 wickets at 26.61
8. Brad Hogg - 156 wickets at 26.84
9. Malcolm Marshall - 157 wickets at 26.96
10. Shoaib Akhtar - 223 wickets at 23.86
11. Nathan Bracken - 174 wickets at 24.36

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
bleh, WIFI was not working very well yesterday and could not be bothered lugging the computer downstairs.

My team is a shambles cause my picks kept coming on sunday.

so, in the spirit of shambolicness

I will pick

Shahid Afridi

because he is actually good really, not that I can justify his selection much seeing as I already piced Jones and Jayasuriya, two notably destructive batsmen, Ganguly is no slouch either, but what the hell, Martyn and Vettori are innings steadiers should they be needed. He has shown touches of maturity ino his batting recently, so his selection has to be viewed in the same vein as watsons in that his best years in the format are to come, and his legspin is genuinely threatening and difficult to punish.

I also need a wicketkeeper, since this is the last pick I can say who it's between, Dujon and Moin Khan. Both very good keepers, but average ODI records, my belief is Dujon doesn't offer the flexibility that Khan does, who has a better list A record (obviously playing in the 90s and 00s where one day cricket was more common) also, Dujon was probably a better keeper to quicks than spinners, and with ODI cricket so spin reliant I think going with Khan would be more sensible. However I want all nations represented and team is rubbish anyway and Dujon's name looks good in a side, so...

Jeff Dujon.

Jayasuriya
Ganguly
De Silva
Dean Jones
Damien Martyn
Shahid Afridi
Jeff Dujon(wk)
Daniel Vettori*
Ewan Chatfield
Ntini 2
Allan Donald 1

My own review is, my team was a bit messed up by me missing picks, I think De Silva was probably a bit of a mad one and chatfield was a bit leftfield, but deliberately so for variety. In retrospect Jayasuriya was maybe a risky first pick. For me he is the definitive one day player but maybe some others will see him as lacking the outright quality to justify the 4th out of the draft. I think I got Donald, Ganguly and Martyn at very good points in the draft though and Ntini and Jones were well worth there spot. It's a team that looks to blast away and stabilise the innings later if need be, it would take a lot of wickets to get away from fast scorers, which is why Dujon is probably the better pick than Khan, being a more sensible batsman with classic test technique. Bowling wise it starts off with two very potent wicket takers and then looks to strangle a team as they look to regroup. There is a plethora of part-time options though perhaps a weakness is the lack of a real threatening spinner.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
However I want all nations represented and team is rubbish anyway and Dujon's name looks good in a side, so...

Jeff Dujon.
:laugh Nicely done.

I actually quite like the mix you have. But I'm the opposite to you on Martyn though. He never really consistently excelled in ODI cricket like he could have. His record looks better than his impact really was.

smiley-finger006.gif
Pointless if we don't get to do anything with them, it will be judged by opinion in the end anyway.

Perhaps. I don't do them for the 'results' though. I find it just as fun building a team than being declared a winner or loser by internet randoms. To me it's more a mental exercise and an interesting way to look at the history of cricket.

His left-arm chinaman's offer my side that key piece of variation that sets the side apart from most. Adding a bowler as accomplished as Hogg to a bowling line-up that includes Akhtar, Bracken, Marshall, Imran, Flintoff and Kallis sets up surefire destruction for any side that takes my team on. The batting is strong, with Brad Hogg offering some handy lower-order batting down at 8 and the fielding, with Waugh, De Villiers and Collingwood in the side is nothing short of exceptional. Really am liking my side.

Yeah it a testament to Hoggy that Aussie fans never really bitched or whined during the 2003-2007 stage where Shane Warne still played Tests. It's only when Hoggy left that we started thinking, geez 4 quicks please...

Quick appraisal of your side: I think you've overdosed on versatility :) Kallis is the 7th bowler? Bracken bowling 3rd change? Good to have options though because you never know which Shoaib is going to show up...:D More seriously, don't really like Kallis opening. Did he EVER open for SA? And don't like the Collingwood selection. Good fielder sure, but IMO he's been a pretty mediocre middle order player.

But that's the only bad things to say really. Love the fielding ability of your team and it was looking at your side that made me think, geez I should have looked at fielding ability a bit more. Flintoff and Dhoni are great finishers to an innings too.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
He's opened on 5 occasions for SA in ODi's, but he's been excellent at number 3, so moving him up 1 position shouldn't be an issue; especially considering how well he's been doing opening in T20 cricket. It was between Kallis and ABDV to open, and I've been impressed with Kallis doing it in T20 cricket, so stuck him up there. I think he'd do well.

As for Collingwood. I'm a big Colly fan. He's probably been England's most consistent player after KP in ODi's. He's really improved in the last 5 years, averaging 39 with the bat with 4 of his 5 centuries coming in that time, and his bowling has improved too. I think he's a fantastic guy to have in the middle order. He's capable of building partnerships if the top 3 fail, but also capable of blasting the ball at the death; and he's one of the best fielders in the world. Surprised he went as late as he did.

Yeah, I'm delighted to have Fred, Dhoni and Imran in the lower-middle order. Flintoff's been magnificent batting 5 for England (hence why KP was so keen to put him in that position when he took over the captaincy), Dhoni's one of the best ODi wicket-keeper batsmen of all-time and Imran's just a legend. Far happier with this side than I was with the one in the Random Country draft. Think my side in this would go awesomely.

Num

Club Cricketer
Should a new topic be created that details the teams (with an overall justification by the members who selected the teams perhaps?) with a poll where members can vote on which team they think is the best?

How do the Cricsim ratings work? Is it a number out of a thousand (for example) or is a formula used based on averages, strike rates, etc?

Brook

Club Captain
I agree, but it may be difficult to get fair ratings if players are rated out of a thousand (for example).

I thought the thing just used the players' stats. I might be wrong though.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Ok, how about everyone makes a team, based on how they rate the player. And then we pass it to a third party simmer, who checks them, and then sims the game?

Num

Club Cricketer
Ok, how about everyone makes a team, based on how they rate the player. And then we pass it to a third party simmer, who checks them, and then sims the game?

How are the players rated? Out of a thousand?

Users who are viewing this thread