Amount of devices connected to Wi-Fi limited?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
For some reason, our broadband will only connect to a limited amount of devices. For example, if it's supposed to be connected to my PC, my nephew's PC, my phone and his phone, one of the phones won't be able to use Wi-Fi. Any idea what's going on here and how to sort it out? I'm using BT Broadband Unlimited - it's supposed to have the best router around; surely there's not a tight limit like this on the amount of devices that can successfully connect to Wi-Fi at any given time?

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Did you check any limitations on the device(router) that it accepts only 5 connections? Recommended to check with ISP local support as well. Have seen devices like that. I am using netgear wireless in my home and I have no problem with 5 people connecting to my wi-fi. 6 different mobile + 1 laptop + 1 apple Tv( total 8 ) is the most number of connections have tried at a time.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
All ISPs limit the number of devices that can be connected to the same wireless network at one time. Mine is limited to 5. I guess Brit will certainly give a few more maybe. Contact your ISP.

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
There are 17 devices that connect to my router every day,(9 throughout the day) and never have I experienced such an issue. I never knew ISPs restrict the number of devices connected as well.

Chewie

BCCI President
It's something to do with the router

Abhas

Retired Administrator
On the router settings, in the LAN settings check if the range of IP addresses is too small (5 in your case). Eg. The IP starting should be 192.168.x.2 and it should end at 192.168.x.255 or something larger than 10 but less than 256. This signifies the unique IP addresses each of the devices on the network will be assigned.

Apart from this, there might as well be an option explicitly limiting the number of devices in your router. You need to check with it's settings.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
All ISPs limit the number of devices that can be connected to the same wireless network at one time. Mine is limited to 5. I guess Brit will certainly give a few more maybe. Contact your ISP.

That's rubbish. Unless you're using a 3G dongle tethered to a modem, your ISP is just cheating you.
Mine doesn't, so there goes the "all ISPs" down the drain.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
That's rubbish. Unless you're using a 3G dongle tethered to a modem, your ISP is just cheating you.

It certainly doesn't sound like something that should be happening, especially with a provider like BT. Unless I can sort this out myself, they'll be hearing from me very shortly. ;)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
There's one thing none of us thought of - changing the wireless channel. :facepalm Did that, and all seems well now. :)

Thanks for your help anyway guys. :)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

That is, if your modem also acts as a wireless router. Lot of people (like me!) dont opt for built-in wireless functionality with the modem. Most of them always get a seperate wireless router, which is always better in terms of performance and reliability.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
That is, if your modem also acts as a wireless router. Lot of people (like me!) dont opt for built-in wireless functionality with the modem. Most of them always get a seperate wireless router, which is always better in terms of performance and reliability.

I use a built in one from the very beginning. I feel that is very much enough for my needs.

----------

I wrongly posted something which conveys a wrong meaning. Upto 5 devices i get my normal speed, i connect an ipad and two laptops to it all day, sometimes an extra android mobile. Incase the count exceeds 5 i was told by my ISP that i will face frequent dis connections, limited connectivity issues.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I use a built in one from the very beginning. I feel that is very much enough for my needs.

----------

I wrongly posted something which conveys a wrong meaning. Upto 5 devices i get my normal speed, i connect an ipad and two laptops to it all day, sometimes an extra android mobile. Incase the count exceeds 5 i was told by my ISP that i will face frequent dis connections, limited connectivity issues.

Not saying that what you are using is wrong. Your decisions are based on what you need. I just replied that to your post because its not common to have built-in Wifi with your modems, so MasterBlaster can be well informed.

Users who are viewing this thread