Andy Flower or Kevin Pietersen - who stays?

Who stays?

• Total voters

PokerAce

Banned
Why is this even a question. This coach vs player conflict may have some value and consequences in Football, but in cricket this nonsense comes from trying to replicate football too much. In a Football the coach/manager is the final authority in picking teams, finalising inplay strategy making changes etc. However in cricket the coach has a very limited role to merely act as an advisor, and the final say in all things rests with the captain, including batting order, bowling changes field placements, etc. The job of a coach is merely to advise the captain on that, or to help with some techniques etc. Unlike Football where the Coach has a very foreground role and a primary one, in cricket the job of the coach is very much in the background and a secondary one.

In cricket the captain and players always take precedence over the coach. It is the players who acting upon instructions of the captain, score the runs, take the wickets etc. The coach neither is the final authority on strategy nor does he score the runs or take the wickets or the catches.

So really if ever there is a conflict between someone doing a primary job (Peterson) and someone doing a secondary job (Flower), naturally the one doing the secondary job has to go. Why should there even be any debate on this is beyond me. If Peterson was fighting with the captain I would understand the need to dump him, but a conflict with someone doing a secondary role, is another thing entirely.

Flower should be the one to go, 100%. All he has to do is advise, and if cannot do that without creating a scene, or becoming larger than the players then he needs to go.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I think that 6 of the test team have now come out publicly in support of KP and said that then only issue was him disagreeing with Flower's methods at a team meeting where he was asked his opinion.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It just seems ridiculous that a new coach could be given the job but told that he cannot pick one of the best batsmen we've ever had, whether he'd like to or not. That suggests to me that the new coach will either be Giles (god help us), who was part of the decision to start with, or Peter Moores, who won't work with Pietersen anyway.

D

Dutch

"According to me, the key to success this time around would be to make sure that the management, the captain and the coach understands each player and let every single individual be themselves. Also, the idea will be to train well in whatever way we can and try to perform to the best of our abilities."

Wow, Kevin really knows what he is doing........

Users who are viewing this thread