TENNIS AO Tennis

Pat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not trying to take cheap shots but I remember DBC 17 coming out and the fielders never making a barrier with the leg, just letting the ball go between their legs: it was very quickly fixed but you do wonder how very very basic things get through to the final product. Fielding with the leg behind the hands is what six year olds learn on day one. Surely someone must have heard that intro to Nadal a hundred times in development and thought ; wait a mo that aint right.....

I think I can guess how it gets missed. The QA team reports this as an issue to the development team that responds by saying "we have other important things to fix, we will fix this later. It's not that important compared to the other high priority work we are doing!". And that later never happens till the game is out.

kulch

Club Captain
You will be surprised what a fun game of tennis it will be. It may not be a tennis simulator but I expect a pretty solid game.

Mario tennis on game boy was awesome. So was Mario golf. Sometimes arcade games that nail the fun are more enjoyable than simulations attempts which fail miserably.
Have press start submitted their review? I'm curious to find out if their glowing preview matches the release experience. Game is getting panned everywhere else.

D

Deleted member 46200

ATP tennis master series 2003 was really good, gameplaywise. Im still waiting to see how things go with AO tennis and then buy it.
This was a good game loved the characters and there was always one player who gave me so much jip it was a major mile stone when I beat them at last but my skills base back then was crap but getting better.

D

Dutch

You cant but help feel that there is a pattern to BA s release “strategy”. The last couple of minutes could be about any of the cricket games unfortunately; listen from 8:42 mins onwards

Last edited by a moderator:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Mario tennis on game boy was awesome. So was Mario golf. Sometimes arcade games that nail the fun are more enjoyable than simulations attempts which fail miserably.
Have press start submitted their review? I'm curious to find out if their glowing preview matches the release experience. Game is getting panned everywhere else.

Some of the so called arcade games actually have deeper gameplay than the simulator ones. As an example "Everybody's Golf" is a pick up and play arcadey golf game but the ball physics and the gameplay are second to none. It can give any golf simulators a run for their money on that front and is loads of fun to play. Just because it has cartoonish characters playing with arcadey bells & whistles added on top doesn't take away from a wonderful golf game.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You cant but help feel that there is a pattern to BA s release “strategy”. The last couple of minutes could be about any of the cricket games unfortunately; listen from 8:42 mins onwards

I hope Big Ant understands how much of a hit their reputation takes when they rush out half finished games out of the door. Unfortunately it's a trend and the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh it's developed by Big Ant. Must be half baked and maybe will get it after a few patches have dropped."

On another note I'm worried about the support for Ashes Cricket. It's clear they have their hands full with AO Tennis and it will take a lot of effort for the world wide release. Will it cause Ashes Cricket to be ignored and left in its current state the same way DBC 17 was?

D

Dutch

I hope Big Ant understands how much of a hit their reputation takes when they rush out half finished games out of the door. Unfortunately it's a trend and the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh it's developed by Big Ant. Must be half baked and maybe will get it after a few patches have dropped."

On another note I'm worried about the support for Ashes Cricket. It's clear they have their hands full with AO Tennis and it will take a lot of effort for the world wide release. Will it cause Ashes Cricket to be ignored and left in its current state the same way DBC 17 was?
To be clear I was talking about the way the games released......for the most part they have come up with various patches to bring the game into line to a lesser and greater extent depending on the game. I think that tennis will be their focus for the foreseeable future but they will get round to focusing on Ashes again. We just have no way of looking into the internals of their business and is to a large degree none of our business. It will be a shame if internal and external pressure means they gain a certain reputation, rightly or wrongly, because in all the interactions I have had they genuinely are very passionate about their work and their games and the sports they represent.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
To be clear I was talking about the way the games released......for the most part they have come up with various patches to bring the game into line to a lesser and greater extent depending on the game. I think that tennis will be their focus for the foreseeable future but they will get round to focusing on Ashes again. We just have no way of looking into the internals of their business and is to a large degree none of our business. It will be a shame if internal and external pressure means they gain a certain reputation, rightly or wrongly, because in all the interactions I have had they genuinely are very passionate about their work and their games and the sports they represent.

One issue is that we all think we could do better or make a suggestion we think is simple to implement but in reality is not

Yeah it is frustrating but unless you are party to BA’s inner workings and understand the realities of working for a developer some of these negative reactions will always be there

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia

I said the same thing before tennis and coped shit for it The main focus would be tennis now which is annoy because ashes would be a great game with a couple of little fixes here and there but I do think it still in a good state

D

Dutch

One issue is that we all think we could do better or make a suggestion we think is simple to implement but in reality is not

Yeah it is frustrating but unless you are party to BA’s inner workings and understand the realities of working for a developer some of these negative reactions will always be there
But on the other hand there likewise perhaps needs to be real understanding from the developers that people are paying top notch for a game that they rightly think when purchasing: this thing works, especially for this price...it just works. When it is the case that the game needs multiple patches to bring it into some form of ship-worthiness then I for one can appreciate that that leads to negativity and frustration. That's why I personally am a keen believer in early access....ask 20 bucks for a game and let people help shape and form it and then when it is really ready release it at the going rate.....I have a number of early access games and am much more understanding of the bugs etcetera......however it also has to be said that some people are just negative whatever you do......you cant win sometimes. Again I am not a software developer but am a consumer.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
with ashes and AO they've gone for higher profile releases but still operating as niche/indie.

they're a bit like the ugly presenters that had to be shipped out when TV upgraded to HD - the increased visbility highlights flaws.

kulch

Club Captain
I'm also concerned about the prices. We were once told "tru blu" sets the prices and now there is no Tru Blu and the highest launch prices ever (AO is AUD$99/NZD$120 digital lol). AC was more expensive than DBC17 too

Users who are viewing this thread