TENNIS AO Tennis

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

TS4 may have been more responsive, fully featured and polished game overall, but the gameplay was much less realistic than 3.

Which for me shows that more realistic does not always equal more enjoyable gaming experience as I prefer TS4 ...

D

Deleted member 9102

Which for me shows that more realistic does not always equal more enjoyable gaming experience as I prefer TS4 ...
And that's fine, I'm the same with other types of games such as realistic shooters or racing games, which I usually find pretty boring :p.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
I found TS3 the best of the last-gen console titles, followed by VT3. TS4 seems to be highly regarded by many but I found the ball physics very strange... Slow and floaty, long rallies with both players often hitting their shots standing on the baseline or in no man's land because the ball moves so slowly. It was a pretty complete and polished game and I can see why people like(d) it so much, just not my cup of tea.

Always preferred the PC exclusive sim-like games over the years - Dream Match Tennis, Tennis Elbow and lately Full Ace... But I would love to see TS and VT come back strongly, hopefully TWT can become a worthy successor to TS3/4 but the gameplay footage didn't look too great... Hopefully it was at a very early point in development.

VT seems totally dead though which is a shame - it may have been completely arcadey, but it had bags of character/style and some hilariously fun minigames, an absolute blast to play in short bursts;

I posted on various sites all those years ago about TS4's pathetic ball physics that hardly anyone picked up on. How no-one else was bothered that every single, yes, every single ground stroke travelled in an exact straight line, with no curve in the ball flight, no side spin on them, is amazing, and yet that movement of the ball in the air is one of the most important aspects of a shot. The serves all flew in realistic flight paths, but the ground strokes, whether they were forehand/backhand/top spin/slice shots, all went 100% straight. There was vertical movement of course on the ground strokes, but no curving of the shot the likes of which Nadal makes famous with his forehand, but even then, every single ground stroke in real life moves in a sideways arc, or at least 90% of shots do. It was made even more ridiculous by the fact the game had a "wind" parameter showing before games...........and its clear that that was bogus too. VT4 had it right in terms of ball physics, and as we all know, Tennis Elbow 2013 nailed it perfectly. I keep looking at AO shots and see some curve in flight on some shots as it uses the same physics it seems as the ball off the bat shows in DB14/17 and Ashes, but they still look mostly 100% straight too.

Oh well, lets hope the TS4 creators new game takes into account ball physics properly this time because I do agree that other than the straight shots every time, the rest of TS4 did look and play the part.

# Oh and forgot to mention Grand Slam Tennis 2 depicted ball physics on shots too quite well I think.

D

Deleted member 9102

HcuZKco.jpg

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I thought the IGN review was bad but this one is savage! Gamespot gave it 3/10 and I'm not sure any number of patches or "content" can redeem it.

And when I read the following in the review "there is practically no detail to the different kinds of court surfaces, and you wouldn't know the difference between Rod Laver Arena or Wimbledon's famous Centre Court if it weren't for the change in colour scheme", I almost thought they were talking about pitches in Ashes cricket.

kulch

Club Captain
Once a codemaster always a codemaster!

Whatever one may think about their cricket games they sure know how to make a rally game!
POP sands of time made it first other games copied it [HASHTAG]#loyaltypoints[/HASHTAG][DOUBLEPOST=1516803844][/DOUBLEPOST]

except for dirt rally 1 23 and 4.

their blc 99 though is the gold of its time

BLIC and jonah lomu rugby were pure class

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Is it pushed up really early for release or the game isnt upto mark what so ever?

If its pushed then why do that when you are self publishing..No one to blame it on now too..

And such a thing happens when Ross himself is a tennis fan who keeps posting pics of him going to matches...

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
from what i'm seeing in the videos, i'd probably give 6/10

Really dont know where these people are coming from with their 3/10. Very few titles get scores like that in 2018, for many reasons.
And no one mentions how the game is playing in multiplayer on the same console. Not a single mention. Only in this thread i actually
read a comment of someone playing 1vs1, and the comment was positive. It's that review that deserves 3/10

Pretty sure no one of these "journalists" would have worked in a videogame magazine in the '90s.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Is it pushed up really early for release or the game isnt upto mark what so ever?

If its pushed then why do that when you are self publishing..No one to blame it on now too..

And such a thing happens when Ross himself is a tennis fan who keeps posting pics of him going to matches...

Even when self publishing there are other parties with pressures when you have a licensed game for a specific licensed event.

I assume the key guys here would have been the AO guys. Miss this one and i doubt it could have been repackaged for another event. So the only other option would be to wait an entire year, which would have been a very big deal.

Its a horrible situation: hopefully they can massively improve it, then relaunch (and probably re-brand) for summer (RG, Wimbledon, US) which is a good time for niche games to chart high.

The first one is always hardest. I'm sure they can turn this around.

Users who are viewing this thread