TENNIS Grand Slam Tennis 2 (PS3) now playable in 2160 4K on RPCS3 emulator (clip 1 of 2)

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain

I have finally, as promised, uploaded a clip of Grand Slam Tennis 2 (PS3) in 2160 4K resolution, running on the RPCS3 Emulator. It looks great at 4K, it really does even though its not going to look quite as sharp as a 4K game created in this era of course, listen to how McEnroe talks sense and talks to Pat Cash rather than his one liners repeating every game point in TWT!!

It looks like its running at a 75% speed of a real life game, but that's due to the Emulator at the moment, but boy does it look great, and you can see all those passing shots down the line bending inwards or outwards, just like in real life, I hope MikeyMerren can get this going in AO Tennis I really do.

I am playing badly as Murray in this clip, but I captured a second longer clip that has some better rallies in it that I will upload tonight.

Can anyone let me know how I enable public comments on it? I am assuming they are currently off?

Last edited:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I personally played the 1st version with PS3 move controller and really liked the game..

Does the game look slower than normal? Shots were good though..

Now I know why I like Virtua tennis 4 more than I thought..But thanks for explaining in such stuff..I follow tennis a bit but not as crazy as for cricket but learning new things about sports is always good..

Also what's the config to run it say low resolution..

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Yes, its running as I mention in my first post at around 75% of the speed that the original game ran on PS3, the slowness caused by the RPCS3 emulator slowing it down, but the emulator is getting updated all the time so sometime soon this game and most others (even the original Red Dead Redemption now runs at 4K on this emulator!) will play closer to the speed the games were originally.

Funnily enough lowering the resolution in the emulator to, say, 1440p or 1080p, the game still runs at this slower speed.

D

Deleted member 9102

The best part about that is in the first half a second IMO... The licensed Wimbledon Centre Court, the stadium model and details around the court look good rendered in 4K.

Still think the gameplay looks really bad, and the physics don't look particularly impressive though it's hard to judge at this reduced speed.

4K Screenshot I got from the beginning downsampled to 1920x1080;

pTmnLqD.jpg

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The best part about that is in the first half a second IMO... The licensed Wimbledon Centre Court, the stadium model and details around the court look good rendered in 4K.

Still think the gameplay looks really bad, and the physics don't look particularly impressive though it's hard to judge at this reduced speed.

pTmnLqD.jpg

Agreed it looks pretty but gameplay wasn’t really doing it for me either

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
At least you guys have checked out my post now anyway!

If even just the ball sidespin left/right movement could be added into AO Tennis, TWT (to make TWT 22% complete......lol!), and into Top Spin 4..................we would have amazing Tennis games to choose from...

If only...

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England

pTmnLqD.jpg

Licensed Wimbledon centre court? That must have cost them a pretty packet.

D

Deleted member 46200

Yeah... Grand slam tennis had a lot but the calendar was bare... Only the four biggies and four lead in tournaments... Just not enough.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Just uploading the Roland Garros (Borg vs McEnroe) capture I made this evening to:-

(its not finished uploading/processing yet so going to this early might not have 2160p/4K available to start with, in fact right now only 360p is available, that happened when i uploaded the first capture, it takes time to be available at other resolutions)

Checkout McEnroe's slideeeeee at 16 seconds, I love it, just love it, because the players slide on the Clay a lot and leave foot/slide mark's everywhere that stay on the court throughout the match, lessons to be learned by the latest Tennis games yet again.

Anyone not liking the gameplay either dont like it already (and i can agree with the points that I think Madman made about the gameplay), or are being misled by my pathetic attempts to play it as Borg at this end of the court, very poor play by me.

For me, this game has real analogue ball physics, proper, proper coding this was, especially for its day, its a pity that not many people are bothered about the most important aspect of a sports game using a round ball.....the physics.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just uploading the Roland Garros (Borg vs McEnroe) capture I made this evening to:-

(its not finished uploading/processing yet so going to this early might not have 2160p/4K available to start with, in fact right now only 360p is available, that happened when i uploaded the first capture, it takes time to be available at other resolutions)

I love this capture as you can notice the players sliding on the Clay and leaving footmark's everywhere that stay on the court throughout the match, lessons to be learned by the latest Tennis games yet again.

Anyone not liking the gameplay either dont like it anyway, or are being misled by my pathetic attempts to play it as Borg at this end of the court, very poor play by me.

For me, this game has real analogue ball physics, proper, proper coding this was, especially for its day, its a pity that not many people are bothered about the most important aspect of a sports game using a round ball.....the physics.
At one point AOIT had footmarks on clay that stuck around but something changed and I am not sure why. It was one of the early builds.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
I'm glad I uploaded these captures now, there really is some graphical and ball physics excellence in this game, not so much noticed for anyone who played it in 720p on the PS3 or XBox360 all them years ago as the details would have been blurry and/or less clear.

We need these graphical touches, and the ball physics, slipstreamed into AO Tennis (not so much for AO as Mikeymerren will improve it) but certainly into TWT, I think we could even end up with TWT at...................................................................................26% eventually!!!

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
EA's had several goes at tennis games. For a good laugh, check out World Tour Tennis, a DOS game from 1993:

I think I bought every DOS tennis game (I don't know why). The first one was a 2D top-down, unplayable game, that I've forgotten the name of. The only one that I remember as being half-decent was Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour from 1989.

Users who are viewing this thread