Arsenal's Journey towards Glory : Huge win for Gunners

Status
Not open for further replies.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Shame to see Valencia reject the offer. Villa is an awesome player and would definitely be a high goalscorer. There are many others though and the two mentioned would also do a great job...

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Untitled-6.jpg

Three in Two out

244uwrb.jpg

Croatian striker Eduardo Da Silva and Swiss defender Philippe Senderos have been sold by Jose Mourinho . Mourinho unveiled his three new signing Gareth Barry , Igor Akinfeyev and Roque Santa Cruz today at the Emirates .

Eduardo Da Silva who joined the Gunners last season from Croatian club Dinamo Zagreb suffered a major blow in January when he was injured for six months and missed the Euro 2008 . Eduardo made just sixteen appearances for the Gunners and scored just 4 times in his injury prone career at Emirates .

While for Croatia he was instrumental in his country's Euro 2008 qualification . He made twenty-two starts and scored thirteen times for his country . He transfered to Lancashire club Bolton Wanderers for a fee 2.6m .

video_text.gif
Mourinho about new signings

Second player to leave Emirates was defender Philippe Senderos . He joined the another Lancashire Wigan Athletic for a fee of 4.3m . Senderos joined Arsenal in 2003 from Servette for 2.5m and made sixty-four appearances for Arsenal and scored four times .

He is a key player for Switzerland in the defense and made his international debut in 2005 and has made thirty-one appearances and scored three times .

Mourinho had to say ,"I wish Eduardo and Senderos good luck with their career . Both are good players but they are not the players which would help us win the Premier League and Champions League .We hope to sign better replacements for them "

English midfielder Gareth Barry has finally got his wish fulfilled to join a top club . Barry has signed for Arsenal for a transfer fee of 11.2m .Barry who made his Aston Villa debut in 1997 will be wearing the Gunners jersey coming season .

Barry made three-hundred-and-twenty-eight appearances for Villa and scored thirty-six times . Barry made his international debut in 2000 and has made only twenty appearances since .

Russian keeper Igor Akinfeyev was the second signing under Mourinho revolution at Emirates . Akinfeyev signed for Arsenal for a fee of 3.8m from Russian club Spartak Moscow .

Akinfeyev made one-hundred-and-fifteen starts for Spartak and has made twenty-four stats for Russia since making his debut in 2004 . He was the part of the Russian team who had a brilliant EURO 2008 campaign .

Last player to be unveiled at the Emirates was the former Bayern Munich striker Roque Santa Cruz who joined the Gunners for 13.5m from Lancashire club Blackburn Rovers .

Santa Cruz left Munich to join Rovers last season and had a successful season by scoring twenty goals in thirty-seven appearances . He made his international debut for Paraguay in 2002 since has made sixty-one starts for his country and scored twenty goals .

Mourinho had to say about his new signings ," All are great players . Igor is a really talented goalkeeper and at the age of twenty two he has made a mark in international football . I don't need to talk about Roque and Gareth they are great players . All these players are good addition to the squad and I would be making only one signing before the end of the transfer window ."​

Last edited:

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Great signings. You've-I mean Mourinho's changed the team a lot but I think it'll pay off.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Untitled-6.jpg

Tom? Rosick? named Arsenal captain

tomas_rosicky.jpg

Tom? Rosick? didnt enjoyed a wonderful season in 2007/2008, after he missed about 7 months of action due to injuries and also missed the EURO 2008 campaign with Czech Republic due to injury . Is now been named the new Arsenal captain by Manager Jose Mourinho .

Rosick? , a former Sparta Prague player, who made the move from Borussia Dortmund for a fee of 6.8 million pounds, enjoyed a good time at the beginning of his Arsenal career, having great scoring form after the World Cup in 2006. However, in the following season his whole season was hampered by injuries and didnt play much for both club and country .

"Looking at potential candidates, Tomas was the first person I looked at. After a leading his country to qualify for EURO, which got him a important place in the Arsenal team, I knew he was a great candidate. After looking closely at Tom? in pre-season, I knew he'd be the perfect man to lead my club. I wanted someone that can communicate well with everyone, and obviously someone I know who can hold form and a first team position in the first team, therefore Tomas became my choice. Even though Tom? is the captain, there are more than one leaders on the pitch, and like any good team, I want there to be more leaders than just Tom? , therefore players like William have got a very important part, like I said, with or without the armband." Jose said.

Tom? Rosick? also spoke to arsenal.com: "For me, it's a very proud moment and an absolute honour. To join players like Patrick Vieira as Arsenal captain is sensational, and I know I can lead this club onto success. I was criticized when I first joined the club, after joining for big money and becoming injured, and people began to question my commitment, ignoring my injuries it seemed. However when I got fit, and played regularly for Arsenal I performed very well for my club, and I'm now glad that my performances have justified a place as captain".

"I like anyone has ambition, and for me, to qualify for the World Cup with Czech Republic, and to get Arsenal win the Champions League and Premier League would be my main ambitions, and I feel both have a great chance of happening -- I just hope both come true."

William Gallas is understood to have been asked to become vice-captain at the club, with Ivorian Kolo Toure coming in if both Tom? Rosick? and William Gallas are unavailable.​

Last edited:

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Gareth Barry and Roque Santa Cruz are very good quality players. Relatively cheap as well. Rosicky being captain is a risky move, but I guess Mourinho wants a new look Arsenal and a young captain is just that.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Untitled-6.jpg

Match Report : Arsenal 2 Levski Sofia 2

_44126870_cl10.jpg

(van Persie strikes twice to deny Levski Sofia dream win)

Arsenal recovered from two goals down to salvage a home draw with Levski Sofia in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League third qualifying round tie.

Sofia looked on course to take a lead back to Israel in a fortnight when Georgi Ivanov and Bardon struck in a first 12 minutes. Robin van Persie quickly pulled one back, however, and his second goal just after half-time ensured there will be all to play for in Sofia.

The home side were deprived the services of Gareth Barry and Roque Santa Cruz as they weren't register for the third round tie . Mihalov goal kick fell to Ivanov and the striker entered the box and calmly beat the keeper. Eight minutes later a Sofia throw-in was picked up by Bordon five metres from goal and his powerful shot doubled the lead.

Despite those setbacks the 55,555 home fans continued to support their team and were given hope on 18 minutes when Van Persie struck from close range. An equalizer nearly arrived not long before the break when Theo Walcott found van Persie but Mihalov made a fine reflex save. Two minutes into the second half an Rosicky cross from the left was headed in by the Dutch striker.

Now the pressure was on Sofia to hold out and they did so with some comfort despite the introduction of Aaron Ramsey and Aamruy Bischoff. Arsenal, meanwhile, will hope the bounce back and win in a fortnight inspires them to the group stage.

------------------------------------------------

Arsenal: Akinfeyev , Eboue , Toure , Gallas , Eboue ; Rosicky(c) , Nasri(Bischoff 74') , Fabregas , Walcott(Ramsey 56') ; van Persie , Adebayor
Unused Subs : Almunia , Sagna , Merida , Clichy , Djourou

Booked : Fabregas

Scorers : van Persie 18' & 47'

Levski Sofia: Mihalov , Angelov , Stoichev , Tomasic , Minev ; Bardon , Borimirov , Bornosuzov(Baltanov 67') , Koprivarow(M.Ivanov 67') ; G.Ivanov(c) , Domovchijski
Unused Subs : Mitrev , Topuzakov , Telkjski , Vagner , Angelov

Booked : Stoichev , Bornosuzov , G.Ivanov

Scorers : G.Ivanov 5' & Bardon 13'

Referee : Stefan Messner

Attendance : 55,555

-------------------------------------------------

*Jose Mourinho

"We had a good game . We played better than them but we lacked the finishing touch . I am happy with my team as they came back after going 2 down . I think we need to still improve in our defence . Other wise it is all good . Robin van Persie was very good and hoping he continues this form in the coming matches . "

*Atanas Karasalov

"I am proud of my players . This 2-2 draw is like a win to me . I cant still believe we scored 2 away goals at the Emirates Stadium . We just have to defend the two away goals or score once at our home . But we still know Arsenal will be rearing to go at us . But still I am happy with the performance of the players ."

-------------------------------------------------

Match Stats

6-Shots on Goal-3
4-On Target-3
0-Penalties-0
5-Corners-4
17-Free Kicks-9
9-Fouls-17
2-Offsides-0
54%-Possession-46%
1-Yellow Cards-3
0-Red Cards-0

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Arsenal were lucky there! :p Btw, you need to update your sig. ;)

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
5tzwh2.jpg

Pre-Season Friendlies Went Well

We are glad to announce that our pre-season friendlies went very well. We had five friendlies and we managed to win four of them and draw one. We scored sixteen goals in those five friendlies and conceded four. We hope we can bring this form into the Premiership and hopefully reach our goal.

Saturday 12th July 2008 - STEVENAGE 0 - 3 ARSENAL
"We played very well this game, Stevenage didn't have one shot all game, we have eighteen shots, ten on target and got three goals. Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas opened the scoring twenty five minutes in with a brilliant long range effort which whistled into the top corner minutes before Adebayor doubled the lead with a neat finish passed Stevenage goalkeeper Alan Julien. The game was wrapped up in the second half with a goal by Toure."

Wednesday 19th July 2008 - STOKE CITY 0 - 4 ARSENAL
"Another good win as the team once again deserved it. Adebayor opened the scoring eight minutes into the game at Britania Stadium getting his second goal in his second pre-season game. van Persie doubled the lead nineteen minutes into the game with a good header, on the half hour mark he got his second and our third of the game before netting his hattrick moments before half time, a well deserved hattrick for Robin."

Saturday 22nd July 2008 - PSV Eindhoven 1 - 4 ARSENAL
"Our last away game of pre-season and we done it in style, it was a shame we conceded as it was there only shot of the game. Bakry Sagna committed a foul in the box and conceded a penalty with there midfielder Timmy Simons tucking it passed Almunia. Samir Nasri then scored his first pre-season goal minutes after, Walcott then put us infront before netting his second moments before half time. The game was wrapped up when Nasri got his second on the hour mark, I think he'll do very well this season."

Tuesday 26th July 2008 - ARSENAL 3 - 1 AC MILAN
"Our first home game in pre-season and it's disappointing that we conceded but better that we won. Once again the opposition scored first through a wonderful long range effort by Andre Pirlo. William Gallas then got our equaliser on the seventy-first minute with a nice headed goal from a Fabregas corner. About two minutes later substitute Ramsey got his first goal of pre-season with a well placed free kick on the edge of the box. Fran Merida then come off the bench to wrap the game up with his first touch, great run by Walcott on the right before crossing the ball low in the box and Merida tapping it in."

Wednesday 3rd August 2008 - ARSENAL 2 - 2 SEVILLA
"Our last game in pre-season and it was a draw to the La Liga side, It was a very entertaining game though for the fans. Kanoute opened the scoring for Sevilla three minutes into the game but Fabregas got the equalizer two minutes later, a great solo run and a great finish to top it off. Jesus Navas then put the visitors infront for the second time in the game before Tomas Rosicky netted his first goal in pre-season late into the game at Emirates.

"Overall, I'm very happy with pre-season and with our first game of the season coming up in six day's I'm looking very forward to it. Nasri played superbly in pre-season so I'm hoping he can keep that up and bring that into the Premiership, most players take a season to adapt to the English game but I think it's an exception to Nasri, he's a great player."​

Last edited:

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
2j26yy8.jpg

Jose looking forward to first game in charge

Jose Mourinho, who took over Arsenal July 1st, taking over Arsene Wenger's vacated position, will face his first ever club professional game after quiting Chelsea season ago . Mourinho, who enjoyed couple of brilliant seasons with Chelsea before resigning would love to make the same start to his Arsenal career when they take on Lawrie Sanchez's Fulham who were saved from the relegation on the last day at the Craven Cottage .

Becoming known for their good form at the end of 2007/2008, Fulham defeated Portsmouth on the last day of the Premier League . This win over Pompey kept them in Premier League for the upcoming season .

Arsenal may be looking to hand debuts to Igor Akinfeyev , Gareth Barry , Samier Nasri , Mikael Silvestre and Roque Santa Cruz , however Jose Mourinho has refused to give any hints to his first team as his team face their first game of the season.

Arsenal face only one injury to note, and that is of Gael Clichy, who will face up to three weeks out after suffering an injury in training, only days before the start of the new season. Fulham have two injury concerns, with Niclas Jensen and Aaron Hughes definitely missing out through injury. Other than these set-backs, everyone else is available to both teams.

Speaking to www.arsenal.com, Jose Mourinho admitted that he was very excited to face his first real test with Arsenal at the hands of Fulham.

"It was great enough being in charge of Arsenal in pre-season, but to be in charge of my first Premier League game as Arsenal manager is amazing. After an one year break from the Premier League, it's great to be back, and the competition is still as great as ever, with any team being able to beat anyone. Many will look at Fulham as an easy win, but with them being at home, and with a wonderful manager of Lawrie Sanchez in charge, it will be a tough first game, however with the squad I have now, I think we have a very good opportunity of picking up our first three points of the season."

When asked about his team selection, Mourinho replied: "I was quite open with my team at Chelsea, however at Arsenal, for the time being, I want to keep my team to myself until the teams are official released. We will be seeing some débuts tomorrow, however there is only space for 18 players, and therefore we will have a few missing out. Gael Clichy is obviously missing through injury, which is a shame for the lad and the club itself, yet we have enough cover for the period he will be out, and thankfully, it's only for three weeks, in which I've seen that type of injury keep a player out for longer."

Asked about preparation, Jose said that his team are more than ready: "We're all ready and eager to go. Obviously, we enjoyed a good pre-season friendlies, winning four games and drawing one. Then, training went well, other than the injury to Gael, and now we have a squad of players which are all eager to make their mark on the first team, whether they've played for Arsenal; in the Premier League or outside it before. There's been a lot of changes, and there may be a short period of time where we need to gel. However, I've brought in a lot of players which have played with each other before, and I feel we can quickly put it all together and come out tomorrow with 3 points to our names."

When asked about real ambition for this season, Jose admitted that his team have set big goals: "We've got major goals -- the whole team has. Some have international glory, yet all have this one goal of challenging to win the premier league. Will it happen? Anything could happen, but I think we have got a real chance. If we don't win this season, then I at least expect to win the FA Cup of the Carling Cup. I'm pleased that we have a lot of ambition, as without it, we wouldn't have any chance of moving up towards winning the league, and moving our status up on the whole."

Asked for any final comments, Jose added: "I just want to say I hope that the fans enjoy my first game in charge. The fans are very important to me, and are very important to this club. Enjoy tomorrow, as I know you've enjoyed the trip to Fulham in the past."

Arsenal were also able to catch up with new Arsenal captain Tomas Rosicky, who told us that Arsenal need a good start tomorrow against Fulham.

"We've had good first day seasons in the past now, and we need to carry that on. The first game is very important, as sometimes it can set the basis for the rest of the season. A lose or a draw would be a failure, yet we need to focus on getting our first three points quickly if we've got any chance of pushing for the title, as soon as that whistle is blown, the competition starts. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow, as not only will I be in place with some new great players with a new coach, but I will be club captain."

Arsenal kick-off tomorrow at 13:00pm, and you can follow the action live on BBC.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread