Ashes 2013 - Australia tour of England June/August 2013

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Before, you had Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Waugh, Waugh, Gilchrist - all world class players (and that's before we get onto the bowlers). Now, the only guy you can truly rely upon is Clarke, and he isn't delivering so far.

And that is why the rotation policy should exist. Voges, Ferguson , etc were so promising at that time. Not to forget Hodge, anyway late but still:facepalm
This all is inevitable in the transition period.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
That's the problem. Before, you had Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Waugh, Waugh, Gilchrist - all world class players (and that's before we get onto the bowlers). Now, the only guy you can truly rely upon is Clarke, and he isn't delivering so far.

It's quite funny to watch really; come on, did you really expect sympathy from me after all the times I've watched the aforementioned team trash England?

It's going to be a long, long summer and a long, long winter for Australia. :D

Quite the opposite :D At least I've accepted our lack of talent. Most other Aussie fans are bitching about why Dave Hussey or Simon Katich weren't resurrected and put into the team. Or they've got their own pet young player they think will make all the difference.

It's time to face facts, the only guy who would make this England team is Clarke (Siddle probably as well as the 3rd seamer), changing one or two selections won't make much difference when the talent gap is so wide.

And yes, it's been a long night already...8 Tests to go :eek:

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Australia needs strong batting performances from senior players. Period.
I remember Michael Clarke's hundreds earlier this year in India in first 2 test matches and both the times Australia posted scores in excess of 300. Once the more experienced batters like Watson, Clarke & Haddin carry their bat along the innings, rest others can chip in around them and help Australia get a big score. Currently none of the Aussie batters are batting time.

And I can imagine how frustrating it must be for CA to see the gulf between test-ready young Englishmen like Root & Bairstow and their own Khwaja, Hughes & co.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
The hype around Joe Root today is a bit over the top, as usual.

Yes, he is the best young talent from England since Cook, and he has done well, is a good player, will have a long career, etc.

But, before the 2nd innings started, I thought this...

Root will score a 2nd innings hundred now that the pressure is off, like Strauss and Cook did at first, getting them in the 2nd innings when it doesn't matter, after failing in their debut Ashes series up until that point.

So, he played well to make a hundred, but the pressure was off.

Then he plundered two spinners, who have hardly taken a first class wicket between them, let alone an International wicket.

Suddenly, because he can make hay against crap spin, he can go up gears? And is the complete batsman? And the rest.

Is ridiculous.

Nothing against the guy, and am not an australian fan if you think this is where it is coming from, much less a Warner fan.
I just don't like all this hype over one innings, when it is clearly not deserved.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
The above is because there are numerous articles on cricinfo about it, and his ability to step it up and score fast etc.

So maybe I should write an article about it.

"I have a grudge against Root, and his ability to flay Smith's assortment of legspinning long hops and loopy full tosses, and to mercilessly work, nurdle, and pick off Agars' 19yr old inexperienced assortment of nude-breaks and arm-balls".

----------

I'm in a Boycott of a mood today.

xvalerianx

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
This series reminds me so much of how India got demolished in England last year :(

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
This series reminds me so much of how India got demolished in England last year
This one is worse. Indian curators did the best to give rank turners on day 1. But England improved a hell lot in playing spin eventually winning the series 2-1 had to be their greatest achievement in recent time.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Clarke and Khawaja both on 40...can feel a double hundred partnership coming on...Australian pride will be restored...and the Ashes will remain watchable.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
The above is because there are numerous articles on cricinfo about it, and his ability to step it up and score fast etc.

So maybe I should write an article about it.

"I have a grudge against Root, and his ability to flay Smith's assortment of legspinning long hops and loopy full tosses, and to mercilessly work, nurdle, and pick off Agars' 19yr old inexperienced assortment of nude-breaks and arm-balls".

----------

I'm in a Boycott of a mood today.

Hah - yeah, pretty sure either Smith or Agar (and often both) were bowling from the whole time from when Root was about 75-80 - about the time Bell was reprieved by Tony Hill. I remember I couldn't decide which strategy was best for the Aussies: whether to rest the quicks, and basically give up, or whether to keep the pressure on Root to try and make him choke short of a 100.

Root was patient, and played well once Haddin/Clarke messed up that slips catch, but the last 100 was a fair bit of fluff.

Users who are viewing this thread