Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't know if you have data for the markets in which you sell most units anyway but I would guess that the ratio in India is nowhere near 53/47.
The female friends I do have who are into cricket aren't into gaming. I'll try to convert them...

I'm a stat and data machine. It's one of my favourite parts of my job.

Doesn't that just make ME sound like "Johnny Party"?

:)

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
Hey, Chief

One of my major gripes with previous games is how under-powered short pitched bowling has been. If I wanted to bowl a sustained spell of hostile bowling on a bouncy pitch I could easily end up going for 8 an over. This is something that needs to be fixed as many batsmen have been shown to be weak against bouncers.

Thanks

guna24

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It will not feature, and has never been in our plans.

I just like to float some ideas and see the reaction - My job is to try and get maximum value out of the game... So I like to stay on top of what people think is important and what isn't.

That's great to hear chief. Even woman sports game ratio is getting higher but no use finally it will fail. My GF and sis are playing Virtual tennis with Federer vs Nadal. :lol. They love to do skill games with CR7 in fifa.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Hey, Chief

One of my major gripes with previous games is how under-powered short pitched bowling has been. If I wanted to bowl a sustained spell of hostile bowling on a bouncy pitch I could easily end up going for 8 an over. This is something that needs to be fixed as many batsmen have been shown to be weak against bouncers.

Thanks

Funny you say that, as I've always found in nearly every cricket game I've been able to resort to short pitched bowling to reduce any AI team's batsman to zero confidence. Often the rules about how many bouncers can be bowled haven't counted when you bowl just back of a length and hit the batsman, only if it missed them.

In fact, the ability to duck has often been overlooked, so sensibly playing short pitched bowling has been difficult.

Really, it shouldn't be too hard to make batting something that makes sense. On the hardest difficulties, being late on a hook should lead to the chances of the ball going through the keeper off an edge, or flying quite fine and high and potentially being caught escalating. Being late can also pop the ball to midwicket, or a deep midwicket depending on how hard the batsman is trying to hit. Likewise being early should result in potential catches behind for the keeper or first slip, or getting hit by the ball and losing confidence. Played on bowleds from bottom edges etc.

It should all make sense. In the same way playing a cover drive too early should see the ball going aerially through cover or back to the bowler, or too late seeing thin edges through to the keeper or cordon, or an inside edge that might hit the stumps or race for four past the stumps. Flicks through midwicket early should go lofted and potentially be caught, late can be trapped lbw or bowled. Straight drives to balls on a good length and swinging away when the ball is new and hard should see edges to the slips. Non of it is rocket science, but too often games just don't seem to recognise these basics.

Last edited:

Chief

Panel of Selectors
That's great to hear chief. Even woman sports game ratio is getting higher but no use finally it will fail. My GF and sis are playing Virtual tennis with Federer vs Nadal. :lol. They love to do skill games with CR7 in fifa.

I'm struggling to follow this. What exactly are you saying that will fail? Women playing sports or women playing games? Or wait, women playing sports games?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm struggling to follow this. What exactly are you saying that will fail? Women playing sports or women playing games? Or wait, women playing sports games?
Do women want to play as women in sports games though? To be terribly stereotypical, a lot of women sports fans seem to watch it for the men, so I'd presume to some degree people regardless of gender would associate the sports games with their most elite level - which for the vast majority of sports is the men's version.

I think cricket would have to get past the name recognition barrier so that the women's teams are household names before there would be a wide spread enough demand for a feature.

That said, the structures for gameplay that being able to adapt to the differences in the women's game would entail would be a good way of making sure the AI is flexible and well structured.

anveshs

Club Cricketer
CHief,

Can we expect the podcast over this weekend?:yesThe last one has been posted almost 3 months ago,really been starving:noway here with out much updates about the game.By the way will the game be available on steam?I have seen it posted on Amazon UK site for June 21 but what about US?will it be available here on the same date?

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Do women want to play as women in sports games though? To be terribly stereotypical, a lot of women sports fans seem to watch it for the men, so I'd presume to some degree people regardless of gender would associate the sports games with their most elite level - which for the vast majority of sports is the men's version.

I think cricket would have to get past the name recognition barrier so that the women's teams are household names before there would be a wide spread enough demand for a feature.

That said, the structures for gameplay that being able to adapt to the differences in the women's game would entail would be a good way of making sure the AI is flexible and well structured.

Yeah, I agree. It's a bit catch 22 - people won't want it till it's big, and it won't become big until enough people want it.
The figures I was talking about were games in general though. My only point there was to try and tackle a bit of the supposition that goes on in a lot of posts round here. I like people to come armed with facts that back up their opinion...
Yes, this year there will be more female gamers than gamers. But look into those figures, and a huge percentage of those only play games in certain categories: I wouldn't use them to justify the need for inclusion into a Cricket game any time soon. However there is an argument that says they deserve to have their profile better represented and inclusion would be a part of making that happen...

Your last point is truly excellent: There's lots of different skills in the female game and more strategy IMO: it would be interesting to see how the AI adapted. :)

----------

CHief,

Can we expect the podcast over this weekend?:yesThe last one has been posted almost 3 months ago,really been starving:noway here with out much updates about the game.By the way will the game be available on steam?I have seen it posted on Amazon UK site for June 21 but what about US?will it be available here on the same date?

I'm doing my best buddy: all I can keep saying is "soon" until POP there it is.

On the other point, as I mentioned the other day somewhere I have little to do with the nuts and bolts of manufacture/distribution, but will try and get you an answer from 505's people.

anveshs

Club Cricketer
I'm doing my best buddy: all I can keep saying is "soon" until POP there it is.

On the other point, as I mentioned the other day somewhere I have little to do with the nuts and bolts of manufacture/distribution, but will try and get you an answer from 505's people.

Thanks Chief!

Cabinet96

School Cricketer
Women's cricket shouldn't be even thinkable until there is a full domestic cricket structure in place.

14redbacks

Club Cricketer
Don't quote me on this, but I *think* I'm right in saying that there will be more stadiums than ever, and PLENTY of Asian representation... Certainly there's a big old list!

Can't confirm that just yet as some are not yet finalised... But soon.

Wow!!! now dats some news:clap:clap

Fast bowler

Club Cricketer
i wonder why !!! people don't ask about more of important questions like about the AI gameplay, field settings (are we going to have realistic ones or long on back in the first day of a test match), basically how realistic this game will be to all the older ones !! or is it going to be the same old thing with a new box :D

Users who are viewing this thread