Ashes Cricket General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'd love to see coming down the wicket remapped and treated as an unorthodox shot. Work it into the shot options and reduce the need for a separate set of inputs.

L1+L2 with the left stick pushed forward before the bowler releases the ball. Or just find a way to make it easier to move forward in the crease to make it feel more natural. At the moment it feels too mechanical so I don't even try it.

riteshagl

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The wides issue during short ball really needs to be sorted.
I am playing hardest legend
In 53 runs from 5.1 overs, there are already 28 wides. Ofcourse some have gone to the boundary.

Attachments

• IMG_6822.JPG
    IMG_6822.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The wides issue during short ball really needs to be sorted.
I am playing hardest legend
In 53 runs from 5.1 overs, there are already 28 wides. Ofcourse some have gone to the boundary.

It's a carryover from DBC 17 where you could barely bat an odi innings without AI conceding 50+ in extras. I doubt "match difficulty" has much impact as I saw similar results across PRO & VETERAN difficulty levels as well.

DeadShot

Club Captain
I'm playing in Pro difficulty with default gameplay modifier settings. 2nd test in progress and AI has conceded only 13 extras out of 68 overs bowled.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Then people must check ball and pitch bounce in gameplay modifiers for ai short ball wides

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It's a carryover from DBC 17 where you could barely bat an odi innings without AI conceding 50+ in extras. I doubt "match difficulty" has much impact as I saw similar results across PRO & VETERAN difficulty levels as well.
Played a 50 over, reduced to thirty per side. Me and the AI both conceded 11 extras (five wides for the AI). Perhaps a little excessive but when I'm conceding the same it doesn't bother me.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Played a 50 over, reduced to thirty per side. Me and the AI both conceded 11 extras (five wides for the AI). Perhaps a little excessive but when I'm conceding the same it doesn't bother me.

It bothers me coz AI never exerts any pressure in shorter formats the way it happens in actual matches. You know the next 5 wides or a series of wides is just round the corner and coupled with AI bowling generally all over the place runs are easy to come by. AI bowling (along with the fields) needs to be tightened so there are no freebies on offer - at least on Legend match difficulty. If folks want easy runs on offer they should be able to do so while playing on 'Amateur' or 'Pro' difficulty levels but I don't find any change across match difficulty levels. TBH at the moment i don't even understand why have the match difficulty in place coz it doesn't impact batting/bowling/fielding difficulty and everything else seems to be the same no matter the "match difficulty level".

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It bothers me coz AI never exerts any pressure in shorter formats the way it happens in actual matches. You know the next 5 wides or a series of wides is just round the corner and coupled with AI bowling generally all over the place runs are easy to come by. AI bowling (along with the fields) needs to be tightened so there are no freebies on offer - at least on Legend match difficulty. If folks want easy runs on offer they should be able to do so while playing on 'Amateur' or 'Pro' difficulty levels but I don't find any change across match difficulty levels. TBH at the moment i don't even understand why have the match difficulty in place coz it doesn't impact batting/bowling/fielding difficulty and everything else seems to be the same no matter the "match difficulty level".
I can see where you're coming from. I've been playing on legend and I don't really feel that pressure building until the back end of an innings - second or third spells for bowlers. I can only think this is because their confidence levels have built up so they are bowling better balls.

I don't think you can see it as a number like on Bradman, so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I kind of feel like it could be more erratic early on. The first two overs, or even the first spell, each bowler bowls having a big impact rather than what feels like a steady build up. A couple of good balls (getting edges, batsman playing and misses) and the confidence leaps, a couple of bad balls (getting hit for back to back boundaries) and the confidence plummets. Maybe not quite as extreme as every two balls, maybe an over.

If they get a wicket maybe and they get bumped up to 100% and it is then up to you as a batsman to dent their confidence. Then in later spells it becomes more stable - you know, they've found their rhythm or not (I'd like to see more bowlers not brought back into attacks if they've been smashed all over the place) so to speak.

Combined with AI fields that have too many large gaps I easily chased down 200+ inside 30 overs for the loss of one wicket. I think I might have hit a couple of sixes every now and then but most of it is just steering it into the gaps.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Combined with AI fields that have too many large gaps I easily chased down 200+ inside 30 overs for the loss of one wicket. I think I might have hit a couple of sixes every now and then but most of it is just steering it into the gaps.

And that's the reason I've shelved the game for now and am waiting for the patch coz the game in its current state does not lead to competitive matches. Chasing 300+ feels as if you're chasing 160.

kulch

Club Captain
EDIT: From what I can assess in my readings of reviews here, most of career mode is similar to DBC 17. If someone would like to share a feature that wasn't available in 17's career that is present for Ashes Cricket, that would be great. Thanks all.

Unfortunately career mode is pretty much identical to DBC17. I've only played 5 club matches, compared to making the Test squads in DBC14 and 17. There are 3 day matches at club level now which is good but the progression path is identical to previous games and loads of frustrating bugs in the gameplay leave me with the opinion DBC14 career mode was more fun despite the lack of user content and club level. In DBC14 u got rewarded for performance and given sp based on it. In Ashes u get the same sp regardless of your performance and feels like a stale grind with a small encouragement to play well and thus most of my time with ashes is playing ashes mode.

Bleddyn

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Career mode question; as you advance through the years does the actual Ashes tournament always take place in Australia or does it alternate? The lack of in-game English stadiums makes me think it probably just stays in Aus, but I hope I am wrong.

riteshagl

County Cricketer
And that's the reason I've shelved the game for now and am waiting for the patch coz the game in its current state does not lead to competitive matches. Chasing 300+ feels as if you're chasing 160.
With regards to AI fields, in dbc 17 i used to make good custom fields and the AI would choose custom fields. It solved most of the problem in terms of poor AI field placements. But post patch 2 or 3 in dbc 17, AI stopped choosing custom fields (it is the same in ashes cricket). The major problem is that AI does not have good fields to choose from most of the times. I wish they bring back the feature of AI choosing custom fields. It would solve most of the issues relating to poor AI field placements.

Users who are viewing this thread