Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Is this game worth getting? What has been improved and what bugs still exist?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
All your questions can be answered BY READING THE FORUM!

As far as I’m aware there is no “Review of the game” thread so my only option is to read 222 pages of this thread in the hopes of seeing one of the 10 posts that review the game from a user I can trust.

So yes it could be answered by reading the forums but I’m looking to get the game for Christmas not the 2023 World Cup. There’s one thread that was before the last couple patches (I think) however I’m hesitant to base my decision on that thread as I’m not sure how relevant those discussions are

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Is this game worth getting? What has been improved and what bugs still exist?

In nutshell the game's a mixed bag. It's an enhanced version of DBC 17 due to new and fluid batting animations but at the same time a lot of frustrating stuff is holding it back. I've shelved the game for the time being waiting for the patch as the poor AI field settings and batting quirks (weird pull shot to full length deliveries, poor running between the wkts, barely any edges etc.) makes it a frustrating gameplay experience. I'm hoping the next patch fixes these issues else I wouldn't recommend getting the game if you have DBC 17.

Rhone

County Cricketer
In nutshell the game's a mixed bag. It's an enhanced version of DBC 17 due to new and fluid batting animations but at the same time a lot of frustrating stuff is holding it back. I've shelved the game for the time being waiting for the patch as the poor AI field settings and batting quirks (weird pull shot to full length deliveries, poor running between the wkts, barely any edges etc.) makes it a frustrating gameplay experience. I'm hoping the next patch fixes these issues else I wouldn't recommend getting the game if you have DBC 17.

Pretty much agree with this 100%. Currently it's a frustrating experience and i haven't played in weeks. Waiting for the patch before going back to it.

If the patch resolves some of the major issues then it will certainly be worth getting.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
As far as I’m aware there is no “Review of the game” thread so my only option is to read 222 pages of this thread in the hopes of seeing one of the 10 posts that review the game from a user I can trust.

So yes it could be answered by reading the forums but I’m looking to get the game for Christmas not the 2023 World Cup. There’s one thread that was before the last couple patches (I think) however I’m hesitant to base my decision on that thread as I’m not sure how relevant those discussions are
I have only played ODI and T20 matches but it's easily the best cricket game I've played. The shot variety and execution is excellent, I really feel like I can play anywhere on the pitch. The animations for batsmen and bowlers add nice variety to the presentation, at the very least, which is something I was not bothered about but, having played the game, really does add a lot to the experience.

The controls are improved by giving more options, although I still can't get it exactly how I'd like but it is an improvement.

It isn't without flaws, some of which are frustratingly still around or reappeared despite being removed from DBC 17. But the actual 'on the wicket' game play is far superior.

As mentioned AI field settings could be improved. The accuracy of AI bowling can be a little wayward. AI fielding is improved, although I've yet to see the AI drop a catch which seems to be an improvement too far. Perhaps this is because I'm playing on legend whereas on DBC17 I played on Pro and Veteran.

My personal experience is that batting does not punish risk quite as much as I'd like - unless you're slogging and you get caught in the deep. It is too easy to play across the line and not get punished. I've not been bowled or lbw since for several matches. I have been out as a result of some nice edges though and have found the edge of the AI plenty of times. I'm really not sure what game people are playing that say there aren't enough.

I find bowling to be too easy, I've not had a match where I don't think I've taken 3-4 wickets in a power play and only one or two matches where I've not taken 9-10 wickets. The margin for error is greatly increased/reduced - not sure which - but I'm bowling wides and no balls. Still I find wickets can be easy to come by, but I have had a lot more variety in those dismissals - some lovely clean bowled. On DBC17 it was far too easy to hit line and length. I'm currently trying to play based on timing of the run ups not the meters, by avoiding looking at them, and yet still I feel unbeatable with the ball. I think the reason the AI is so easy to bowl out is probably related to issues that are being looked at, I'm keen to see how it will play when we get the next patch. Or I'm just gonna say: I'm the best at the game.

Perhaps it sounds like I'm being overly critical but I think it is one or two patches away from being not only an enjoyable game, which I really have found it to be, but also a more realistic and challenging experience.

sashu_91

County Cricketer
Yes, totally agree can't play more until the new patch comes, personally shouldn't have pre-ordered to be honest, could have saved some money..Hope the basic things are sorted and then it is way to go for BA...I think it's cheaper right now and I believe the prices will again shoot up once the game is fine...Right time to buy because the game is going to get better..

Akhilsaj

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
IMO Definitely better than Dbc17 in all aspects. You might probably want to wait for the next patch if you are in two minds. Things are only going to get better.

Currently ashes cricket 17 is lauded as the best cricket game in the market. It is better than dbc 17 as the talk here suggests, but is it better than dbc 14 in all aspects or will it become later? I believe users who played all 3 iterations of BA can give a solid answer.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Don't take it personally buddy, some people who have no life often project that onto others as well. I'm looking for a proper review as well from players, not gaming organizations like IGN. For the most part, people here are very helpful in that regard. Also I think the beta testers help potential buyers assess the game quite well.

EDIT: From what I can assess in my readings of reviews here, most of career mode is similar to DBC 17. If someone would like to share a feature that wasn't available in 17's career that is present for Ashes Cricket, that would be great. Thanks all.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
We should be able to tie pitch bounce and ball bounce to stadiums, cranked up both to 80 in dbc17 academy and getting nice bounce and pull/hook shots coming into play

Users who are viewing this thread