Ashes Cricket General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I actually like the look of those new controls. I found that they were somewhat cumbersome in the last game and would limit me to only certain types of shots. I never even bothered with advancing down the crease.

D

Deleted member 185125

Doesn't look like the fielding hasn't changed much. Overthrows and fielder responses looks exactly like dbc17 itself. But love everything else I see. Hopefully the stats issue is fixed and the gameplay modifiers are still present.
Overall a definite step up from DBC17.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Some very positive looking signs from the Gameplay Video , with the fluid Lifelike animations on the Batting and Bowling Front standing out alot.

The Fielding element seems to be the one that received the least amount of attention , with alot of it still looking like the previous Games.

I`m hoping that the Loopy Throw in`s and the Overthrows are user input related, and not a repeat of DBC17 antics.

Some really nice touches there when you look closer.

mattk

Club Captain
I reckon all controls should be available on all difficulties for offline play.

D

Deleted member 9102

For me the make or break things are...

How good the AI is, can it play a decent match according to the situation? What are they like to bowl against?

Bowling length variation/bowler individuality - in 17 you could bowl the ball with pinpoint accuracy with any bowler, especially in terms of length. You could swap a wicket-keeper in and they'd control length as well as Glenn McGrath... Do the bowling controls (with the old style anyway) allow for such error and for it to differ between players?

Animations, player likenesses and presentation are nice to see improvements in, but the above needs to be significantly improved from DBC17 for me to have any interest in this.

D

Dutch

For me the make or break things are...

How good the AI is, can it play a decent match according to the situation? What are they like to bowl against?

Bowling length variation/bowler individuality - in 17 you could bowl the ball with pinpoint accuracy with any bowler, especially in terms of length. You could swap a wicket-keeper in and they'd control length as well as Glenn McGrath... Do the bowling controls (with the old style anyway) allow for such error and for it to differ between players?

Animations, player likenesses and presentation are nice to see improvements in, but the above needs to be significantly improved from DBC17 for me to have any interest in this.
How about an Ai batting out 5 sessions to draw the test match after facing a heavy defeat? How about an Ai that scores multiple hundreds across a series? An AI that has you tearing your hair out wondering which fielder to put where, which line to bowl, how to get a wicket? Imagine that, that would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Mainly being an online player myself, the game is lost/won on reading opponent's mind... if CPU/AI controls the footwork/shot placement of one of the players,it will be easier for him to judge as he just needs to time it and the CPU/AI will do the rest...!! Whereas, the other player playing with old controls will have no other options but to play on same controls as opponent to beat him.That's why I want it to be restricted to old controls for LEGEND difficulty...!!!
You know the bowling speed slider exists yeh? It clearly says 'effort ball' on the 160KPH deliveries - something that would massively drain your stamina if DBC17 is anything to go by.

Some common sense please.

Yes but no... the bowling sliders should increase feel speed in game by changing the scale, but still producing realistic speed gun results. I think that is the implementation everyone expected in dbc17 and would have expected changed in ashes based on feedback. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I didn't watch the whole vid but the only overthrow I saw was a reasonable one, batsman running and fielder took a shy and missed. That should be in the game. Problem was dbc17 it happened too much. But I couldn't call what I saw in that vid a repetition of the "bug".

It's amazing how some people only see negative points!

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hope pitch marker and bowling speed hud sliders should have ON/OFF option in settings irrespective of difficulty

Kartik101996

Club Cricketer
I think everyone complaining about small things here should be thankful that we didn't end up with something like the joke of a game that was ashes cricket 2013

Wealey

ICC Board Member
How about an Ai batting out 5 sessions to draw the test match after facing a heavy defeat? How about an Ai that scores multiple hundreds across a series? An AI that has you tearing your hair out wondering which fielder to put where, which line to bowl, how to get a wicket? Imagine that, that would be cool ;)

Imagine them declaring on 575/9 and making you bat for the last 15 overs of the day ...........

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Your Missing the Point here mate.

You cannot have a guy on one end , with the Game deciding the Footwork for him , competing Online against another guy that has to do it himself. There will have to be a Penalty to the guy thats on Training wheels if you in fact want to pit the two against each other.

Same with the Pitch Marker , I suppose the Host will have a lot of Match Creation Options to choose from , to Try and end up having a level playing field.[DOUBLEPOST=1509350662][/DOUBLEPOST]

Here`s hoping that in Online , Where the Speed Sliders dont feature , that we dont have every Tom Dick and Harry Fast bowler bowling 167 km/h ....

Surely solution is as you say online creation options, not killing options for others to cater for a tiny minority

Users who are viewing this thread