Ashes Cricket General Discussion

sonimrajk

International Cricketer
Hey guys. Is there anyone who can clarify something for me?

I remember a few occasions where batting could not be inverted for couch Co op for classic controls (both players on the same team).

I've seen other users complain about it as well as report bugs.

However as of recently, I've played a few games with friends over and it seemed to work.

Ive always had the 1.06 update... have a ps4. Has it been addressed in the beta patch now.
Is it a bug that ensues only through certain instances or settings ?
Is it also working with standard controls?

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
I think a small team working for Ashes patch, that may be the reason why we are not getting single patch since release 3 months back. In the mean time AO has received 9 patches and very lucky Tennis fans.
To be fair, when AO Tennis was first released it was pretty bloody woeful and unplayable.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Guys, managed to delete my save game files like a muppet...

Going to start a 3 match Test Series between Australia and South Africa..

Is there anyway people want me to skill the teams and what pitch settings etc

Just skill them normally, how they are in real life. Then we should get something approaching a realistic test match if these builds are any good.

Do we have any more results about stroke attributes actually mattering? Do the devs tell you they actually matter?

I want to play with all sliders default, except pace sliders on 70. Does this still produce good results?

Thanks for your work

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Nope, the invert issue happens with both.

Given what we're hearing from the beta team, it seems the focus is pretty exclusively on single player AI. God knows it needs attention, but the game has plenty of other issues going on such as your multi-player issue of controls not inverting. The bug reports page are loaded with them.

As important as it is, how confident are the Ashes purchasers supposed to be hearing pretty much only about single player AI logic?

Everything else seems so long ago in discussion that people are getting tired of reciting them into the void of silence.

sonimrajk

International Cricketer
Given what we're hearing from the beta team, it seems the focus is pretty exclusively on single player AI. God knows it needs attention, but the game has plenty of other issues going on such as your multi-player issue of controls not inverting. The bug reports page are loaded with them.

As important as it is, how confident are the Ashes purchasers supposed to be hearing pretty much only about single player AI logic?

Everything else seems so long ago in discussion that people are getting tired of reciting them into the void of silence.
Fixing multiplayer issues can get them more buyers. I myself can make few of my friends to buy this game if this simple invert batting issue is fixed. Most of my friends like playing on the same side multiplayer rather than playing opposite side. We friends played on the same side for the entire life in real and want to play sameway in d game. But sad that simple defects are not allowing this. :(

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Fixing multiplayer issues can get them more buyers. I myself can make few of my friends to buy this game if this simple invert batting issue is fixed. Most of my friends like playing on the same side multiplayer rather than playing opposite side. We friends played on the same side for the entire life in real and want to play sameway in d game. But sad that simple defects are not allowing this. :(

Yep, there's a bunch of issues that happen in multi-player (camera occasionally going almost totally out of focus for example). I myself convinced 4 other mates to get DBC '14, simply by playing it. Most of my core gaming mates tend to come around, play a game first and then decide if they want to spend on buying it. DBC '17 dropped it down to one friend buying it. So far Ashes is at zero.

The best multi-player camera angles are broadcast like ones. Of course in Ashes Cricket, when you play a straight drive down the field, the fielding side can't see their players at all, you can't choose "tap back" or "dive", because you can only see a close up of the ball and everything is cut off. Brilliant. Been that way for all patches and reported. Heard anything back about that? Of course not. Can my friends play it that way? No not really, shots down the ground in the 'V' shouldn't really have this ridiculous situation, but hey "AI Logic only".

The fielding game, even on semi-assisted is non-existent. Every catch is basically automated and of course a sitter. Seems pretty farcical. Why? Because it is. Do my friends want to play a game where the third most important part of the game isn't even there? No. Why would they? Taking and dropping catches is a huge factor of cricket last time I looked, but to the testers? Naaah.

Without a hint of contradiction I can honestly say that I truly do appreciate the work they are doing on AI. It's important, very.

No good though, if there's a list of 28 other significant things still broken, messed up etc.

D

Dutch

Yep, there's a bunch of issues that happen in multi-player (camera occasionally going almost totally out of focus for example). I myself convinced 4 other mates to get DBC '14, simply by playing it. Most of my core gaming mates tend to come around, play a game first and then decide if they want to spend on buying it. DBC '17 dropped it down to one friend buying it. So far Ashes is at zero.

The best multi-player camera angles are broadcast like ones. Of course in Ashes Cricket, when you play a straight drive down the field, the fielding side can't see their players at all, you can't choose "tap back" or "dive", because you can only see a close up of the ball and everything is cut off. Brilliant. Been that way for all patches and reported. Heard anything back about that? Of course not. Can my friends play it that way? No not really, shots down the ground in the 'V' shouldn't really have this ridiculous situation, but hey "AI Logic only".

The fielding game, even on semi-assisted is non-existent. Every catch is basically automated and of course a sitter. Seems pretty farcical. Why? Because it is. Do my friends want to play a game where the third most important part of the game isn't even there? No. Why would they? Taking and dropping catches is a huge factor of cricket last time I looked, but to the testers? Naaah.

Without a hint of contradiction I can honestly say that I truly do appreciate the work they are doing on AI. It's important, very.

No good though, if there's a list of 28 other significant things still broken, messed up etc.
Its a beginning: get gameplay right, exquisite in fact and then work on other things. Also take Full Ace tennis for example: now in anybody's book the graphics are not great, the umpires static, the ball boys do nowt, the shoes are terrible.....but in the game you look past because the gameplay is second to none. Of course things need to be fixed but gameplay is king. The above two scorecards shows where work is being done now: pitch characteristics and visible and tangible pitch wear.....the new ball did its work in the first session.....in the second the batsman ruled, towards the end of the second session and in the third spin has started to play a significant role......

So in summary in the last couple of weeks masses has been done towards getting the human batting experience right up there: you can now play the ball as it pitches.....there are risks and rewards and you will collapse if you go to hard.

Bowling has been significantly tweaked to get Ai bowling a tighter and more pitch appropriate line.

Seam and cut movement has been tweaked to make it less arcade.

Mentalities and attributes are now very significant factors in a players make-up, both human and AI.

Work is ongoing to make pitches both visually and in terms of play much more significant and a real factor in the various stages of the game.

This is but a small segment of the work that has been done and the improvements are very enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Its a beginning: get gameplay right, exquisite in fact and then work on other things.

I could be proven completely wrong, but as good as the AI is now starting to play (which is apparently great - don't get me wrong), I don't see Big Ant getting around to fixing a lot of the accumulated game-play niggles in everything else. We've been told that fixing one thing could invariably affect others (even things such as adjusting camera angles), so I'm not sure if they'll be wanting to tinker around with anything else, (ie: actually making fielding and catching a game again) too much once the AI and physics are exquisite.

I really do think great smart AI, accurate shots, physics, batting power and ball movement are the most important, absolutely. You guys in testing are right to place that area at the top of the list. I'm just concerned that you guys are getting to the bottom of the stuff in that area and then going back to the top again and again. It would be VERY easy for anyone reading here to believe that there's nothing else wrong with the game and that other areas will receive little to no attention.

I won't mind being totally incorrect and you guys having the last laugh on this.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Its a beginning: get gameplay right, exquisite in fact and then work on other things. Also take Full Ace tennis for example: now in anybody's book the graphics are not great, the umpires static, the ball boys do nowt, the shoes are terrible.....but in the game you look past because the gameplay is second to none. Of course things need to be fixed but gameplay is king. The above two scorecards shows where work is being done now: pitch characteristics and visible and tangible pitch wear.....the new ball did its work in the first session.....in the second the batsman ruled, towards the end of the second session and in the third spin has started to play a significant role......

So in summary in the last couple of weeks masses has been done towards getting the human batting experience right up there: you can now play the ball as it pitches.....there are risks and rewards and you will collapse if you go to hard.

Bowling has been significantly tweaked to get Ai bowling a tighter and more pitch appropriate line.

Seam and cut movement has been tweaked to make it less arcade.

Mentalities and attributes are now very significant factors in a players make-up, both human and AI.

Work is ongoing to make pitches both visually and in terms of play much more significant and a real factor in the various stages of the game.

This is but a small segment of the work that has been done and the improvements are very enjoyable.

Brilliant :)

Users who are viewing this thread