Associate Tournaments (I-Cup and WCL Championship 2015-2016/7)

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I wrote this last night, analysing the six teams who were knocked out of the tournament.

And there were a couple of very interesting results from today - Hong Kong beat Afghanistan and Netherlands beat Namibia setting up the following winner-takes-all matches:

:afg: Afghanistan v Papua New Guinea :png:
:nam: Namibia v Oman :oma:

Looking at those two games, the format has failed. It cannot end up with the six best teams in the competition progressing to the tournament they are supposed to be qualifying for, and that is an inevitable shame.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Hong Kong beat Afghanistan
Did you see the finish to this game? it was amazing!

I didn't think Hong Kong stood a chance as Atkinson was batting a tad slow but Chapman came out a smashed it around and Babar Hayat finished it off, but why oh why was Nabi given the final over!? Poor captaincy.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
wooo Hong Kong!! :clap:clap

That last over was something though

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Is that Jonty Jenner kid any decent? I watched him against Ireland and he seemed like a wanna be AB or Maxwell. Do you think he has a bright future?

Aislabie

Ireland
Why oh why was Nabi given the final over!? Poor captaincy.

Is that Jonty Jenner kid any decent?
Reasonably good; I've not seen much of him batting, but he doesn't look to be any better than your average private school number three. Then again, nor does Anshuman Rath, but he still gets a lot of runs at that level. The real test for them both will be mental.

PokerAce

Banned
Is that Jonty Jenner kid any decent? I watched him against Ireland and he seemed like a wanna be AB or Maxwell. Do you think he has a bright future?

You mean the Jersey kid ... yeah not bad, was impressive in the two games I saw of his.[DOUBLEPOST=1437574651][/DOUBLEPOST]
A World Cup in India. Great for finance, terrible for the viewer.

Why ... when watching a WC in Ind wht exactly bums u off more than a when watching a WC in another nation?

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Should just hold the World T20 in Scotland and Ireland IMO

not in March mind, it's a wee bit chilly for cricket in March

Aislabie

Ireland
Should just hold the World T20 in Scotland and Ireland IMO
Holding the World T20 in developing cricket nations is actually a very good idea and would help a lot with the development of the game. It would of course be particularly easy in Europe and in the UAE, because there are great facilities and no security concerns.

That's why it definitely won't happen!

Or, you know, they could just give it to Qatar. There's a 13,000-seater stadium:
QatarCricketStadium_1.jpg

Aislabie

Ireland
All the stars are aligning for Oman, and none for Namibia

Louis Klazinga has a slipped disk in his back, JJ Smit looked to be suffering with some sort of rib injury, and now Jason Davidson has been banned from bowling.

That leaves only Craig Williams, Sarel Burger, Tiaan Snyman and Stoffel Coombe of the recognised seamers; Baard could also turn his arm over if necessary.

That means that Namibia will be near-enough forced to name the following XI:

Stephan Baard
Gerrie Snyman (:bwl: OS)
Ray van Schoor
Craig Williams (:bwl: RMF)
Sarel Burger (:bwl: RM)
Gerhard Erasmus
Nicolaas Scholtz (:bwl: SLA)
JP Kotze :wk:
Michau du Preez (or JJ Smit if fit)
Bernard Scholtz (:bwl: SLA)
Stoffel Coombe / Tiaan Snyman (:bwl: RM)

Of course, Bernard Scholtz remains unplayable and the medium-pacers remain competent, but the Omani squad will be feeling good about life right now.

Aislabie

Ireland
Papua New Guinea have finished their PowerPlay on 20 for two, with no boundaries, and with leg-byes as the high scorer with six.

I'd suggest they've lost the game already here.

PokerAce

Banned
Yeah it was a positive test match till the 15th over and then PNG have had some shots on. Afg should still win this though. It would be a travesty if they miss out on the event.

Aislabie

Ireland
OMAN!

What a campaign from a team dismissed by preview-writers and TV networks alike; they also bag T20 International status for the next four years. Astonishing for a team that languishes in WCL5 and rarely sees grass on the outfield, let alone the wicket.

PokerAce

Banned
So the teams to go through are - Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Afghanistan and Oman.

I was pleased Ireland, Afghanistan, Netherlands and Scotland are through. The reason is that these sides have in the past regularly qualified for big tournaments and the more they play the better they will get. Its good that the same teams are getting experience as it will add up and help the sides more, than if say it was new teams everytime.

I have to say for Scotland though that I would like them to make an impact, as they have qualified for WCs but then really failed to turn up on the big day. Afghanistan in the sub-continent will be likely to cause a few upsets and the same goes for Ireland. Netherlands have a few big hitters and you never know on their day.

The decline of Kenya has been surprising and there was a time when one could have seen them easily take the 11th test slot. They had a really good run in the 90s and even got to the '03 WC semi-final. They had a few good players Steve Tikolo and Maurice Oudumbe. Their decline has been alarming to say the least. It was like once the Tikolo generation went out, there was no back up in place.

I would have wanted the US to qualify, for obvious reasons, and they so nearly did. It was hard of them to miss out by 1 point on what would have been a straight shoot out for qualification match.

Hong Kong and Oman are the two new comers and both are Asian sides, and should enjoy the Asian conditions. Thus its an exciting line up and lets hope for a great tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread